Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Norco

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Does anyone know how much Norco 7.5/325 you can safely take at one time? My doc prescribed 1-1/2, but I get no relief at that dosage. Any ideas? I know I need to talk to the doc before increasing the dosage, but want to know if there is any chance she will increase it before I call. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• up to your doctor and your condition. If your doctor warrants an increase then you'll be fine. I've been RX'd more than that before. For ME it was safe, for you?
  • I was prescribed Norco 10/325 and right after my fusion, my surgeon had written it for 1-2 tablets every 4 hours. I had no problem with this dosage, and later on it was reduced because my Fentanyl was increased. If I were you, I'd get permission from the doctor first, so there aren't any problems. She would know if it is safe for you to take more, and then you won't have to worry about running out of Norco too soon.
    Have you done something to aggravate your back pain, or is the cold weather wreaking havoc? I have been really lousy too. I hope you're able to get relief and get to feeling better. Take care
  • I was prescribed Norco 10/325 and right after my fusion, my surgeon had written it for 1-2 tablets every 4 hours. I had no problem with this dosage, and later on it was reduced because my Fentanyl was increased. If I were you, I'd get permission from the doctor first, so there aren't any problems. She would know if it is safe for you to take more, and then you won't have to worry about running out of Norco too soon.
    Have you done something to aggravate your back pain, or is the cold weather wreaking havoc? I have been really lousy too. I hope you're able to get relief and get to feeling better. Take care

Sorry for the double posting, I goofed.
  • No, I haven't really done anything in the last day to aggravate it---just the ongoing, never-ending pain! Don't worry, I'll check with the doc before changing how much I take. Don't want to end up with the Marilyn Monroe Cocktail! Once I took my regular meds (hydrocodone, gabapentin, Trazodone, muscle relaxer) and also took a MusinexD pill--nope, not gonna do that again. It was really late at night and I called the 24-hour pharmacy cause I was having weird symptoms. They said it sounded like a CNS depression or something like that and symptoms could last 8 hours. Fortunately, they didn't. In about 20 min. I was ok. Scared me enough not to mix it up like that again!
  • First I have to say, talk to your doctor first as a disclaimer.

Limiting factors for how much norco you can take? You cannot go over 4 grams of tylenol a day. The 325 number means 325 milligrams of tylenol. Other limiting factor is your tolerance level to hydrocodone. When my pain is bad, all that matters to me is am I still breathing with the amount of narcs I've taken. I'm not giving you that advice, mind you! :) My tolerance level is probably higher than yours. I can take two 10/325 norco at once and be just fine and dandy.
  • Thanks for your input. I also have a very high tolerance level for pain meds. Nothing, other than the iv's at the hospital, really helps with the pain.

Happy New Year!
  • I'd ask for the 10/325's. The nice thing is you get more painkiller and less acetaminophen, which is harmful.

I prefer the Percocet 10/325's they worked for me for almost 2 years but I am being put on the Norco's now. I agree. They are not that strong, more like a Vicodin.

Breaking them in half to make 1-1/2 is giving you almost 500mg acetaminophen at a time. Do that a few times a day and you are getting quite a bit of it especially if you are closer to 5-6 times a day. Supposed to be bad for the liver and kidneys.
  • I don't take the Norco every 4-6 hours...twice a day is the max. I let myself take them. And I don't take them every day, just when I've done something to aggravate the back. I really have a fear of getting addicted to them.

I appreciate all the help ya'll have given me on this. I see that taking 1-1/2 tab. is not really at the max. end of the scale. Thanks!
  • the 7.5's are not helping that much please ask your doc to possibly increase them to the 10/325's. When I was on the norco 10/325's I was allowed 2 pills every 4 hours as needed. I am not sure if that is what you were asking or not. LOL But as long as the doc says it is ok then you should be able to take 2-2.5 at a time.
advertisement