Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

arm pain - suggestions for relief??

spinaltapsspinaltap Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi again :|

I have a centrally herniated c5-c6 disc that has caused nerve damage in both arms all the way to the fingertips. I am on 7.5 mg of hydrocodone every 4 hours, alternating a heating pad and ice packs and taking a multitude of other prescriptions daily =P~ . I have stopped all PT due to excessive pain and I am waiting on a Epidural Injection to be done on 1/8/09. I need some suggestions on relieving the arm pain???? Nothing seems to help. It feels like a deep, excruciating bone pain (if that makes sense) in both arms. It is so painful. I'm trying to work a 40 hr week at a desk doing clerical duties and it is becoming difficult. I have a heating pad stuck under my shirt and plugged in to the wall at my desk, and when I get up to make copies I take the cord with me.... I guess it would be funny if it didn't hurt so bad..... /:) Any ideas??????
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Spinal Tap,
    I can totally relate to your pain. :) I have a herniated disk at C5/6 that is also pinching a nerve and have lived with the periferal nerve pain since March 08- My arm/hand and thumb pointer on right side C6. Also my walk is impacted on the left side- go figure... Same as you, I have found that Pt is painful. I found Lyrica to help the most. It works on periferal nerves. Literally 5 days it took to kick in, and it helped relieve it from screaming/crying pain to a more manageable state. This is just my experience. I still require it, and worry about inpact it has on me. Have you been seen by a NS? I will likely be going in this direction as nothing can relieve the pressure off the nerve. Everyday I wish it would go on its own- but hasn't yet happened. I truly hope you find something that will help you.
  • Lyrica and amitriptyline helped my pain also. I found TENs at PT helpful and ultrasound. I can't imagine working with pain though. Take care and hope the epi helps. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • To answer your question about seeing a NS yet......the last time I spoke with my Psiatrist (spelling?), she said that because of the nerve damage (she did an "nerve conduction" test I can't think of the name) I would be treated aggressively. She said I would have PT, at least 2 ESI, pain meds and if none of that helps...surgery. So, it looks like that is where I am headed. At this point, I'm ready.
  • sulendec -clinoril is a very strong anti inflamitory that helped me when my arms and neck first went haywire ,[nothing] helped the pain except this medicin ,not sure if im spelling it write .
  • It was prenisone for a 10 days. I'm talking high dosages too, and then a taper for another 10 days. I kept my arm above my head as much as I could. That seem to get the pressure off the nerve but it's probably different for all people. I had bone spurs on the c5 nerve root and more bone spurs and herniated disk impingining on the c7 nerve roots.

It felt like I have been dragged around town by an gorilla by my left arm and I was in so much pain all I could do was curl up at night and cry.

Do not put the heat on the nerve (spine) but only the muscle spasms itself. I got some pain relief from the electro-stimulis the chriropactor gave me until I could see a NS but do not let them adust your neck! Only work on your arm and elbow if that is painful too. My was-I couldn't lift an empty coffee cup!

I commend you for being able to work. I quit my desk job! Good luck and seek a good Neurosurgeon soon. My GP wanted me to do PT before seeing a NS and I did and it was a waste of time and only prolonged my misery. If your body is telling you somemthing-listen to it :)
  • Spinal- I do know one thing. I feel reallllly bad for you that you have to do clerical work when you are having that kind of pain.
    I was in that boat one time, and had to quit.
    I wish I could say I was posting some kind of miracle suggestion for this pain but honestly I dont think there is one, besides NOT doing that work, which is really not an option for a lot of people!
    I could actually clean my house, vacuum, etc... but when I went to sit at the desk and start doing those things, DONE- I was in big PAIN trouble!
    My pm actually increased the amt of meds I could take while i was at work until my two week notice was up. I literally COULDNT do it, which is what it sounds like you are up against.
    Anyway, Good Luck! I feel for you!

advertisement