Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone els whose throat hurts after surgery when they cry?

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It's been a year and a half since my anterior cervical fusion This might seem like a silly question, but it really hurts. whenever I cry, my throat tightens up severely, to the point of not being able to swallow. It is VERY painful. I am a widow, and alone, so there just are times when I can't help crying. Especially during Holiday seasons, when memories get overwhelming at times. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I still have a lot of problems in my neck and rest of my spine, and am worried that if I have to have surgery again this problem might get worse. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

Happy New Year, may it be better than the past year........Maggie <:P
advertisement

Comments

• I haven't had your surgery but just wanted to let you know that you should call your Dr. about that problem since you've had surgery. Happy New Year to you and hope you have a better year. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had that surgery in March '08 but I don't have any issues with my throat tighting. I would get back and talk to your doctor. If you can't talk with your surgeon, I would get an appointment with an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat).
    I wish you the best in 2009.
  • Maggie, First of all I am so sorry to hear of the sorrow that you feel especially at this time of year. Do you have a network of family or friends nearby? If not I hope you can find someone or some place that can help you feel like you're a real part of something.
    Now for the crying. I have to tell people to hang on a second if I feel like I'm going to cry so that I can choke back the tears and then talk and then cry. In that order. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there with this issue. That's why I try REALLY hard not to cry. I even tell family and friends that it hurts to cry not just emotionally anymore but physically now.
    Actually surgery might fix your problem since yours is much more severe than mine. But my throat closes up completely that's why I have to be very careful and I've learned how to relax my neck when the tears start flowing. I don't know actually if I learned it or my body just does it naturally to open up an airway but either way it's ok after a few minutes.