Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hands falling aslep at night

spinaltapsspinaltap Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
For the last 3 nights, I have woken up at least once every two hours with both hands completely numb (asleep). After I move them around, they start to tingle and wake up. Has anyone else had this with a crevical disc herniation? Mine is at the c5-c6 level. I'm going in next Thursday for an ESI, but I'm wondering if I need to call my doctor today abou this. It really hurts.
advertisement

Comments

• I had the same thing happening until I had C5/6 ACDF surgery, then it went away immediatley. I did not have any ESI's before my surgery. I did try Chiro and PT, but my Ortho said that he did not think any other conserative procedures would help my issue. I also did not know enough about this to push for trying anything else before surgery. I found SH after surgery too.
    I would let your doctor know, so he can make the decisions based upon your new symptoms too. I hope this helps and I hope you have much relief from the ESI. Maybe someone else can suggest differents pillows or some other ways they found relief while sleeping.

Stacey
  • My hands fell asleep also (mostly my right one) before my surgery. All better now.

Cath
  • Well, I called the doctors office and they prescribed Lyrica.......seems like I just keep getting more prescriptions. =P~
  • The doctors like to do that,but he probably feels that the pain is nerve related.I had numbness in both hands and arms before my surgery as well,it calmed down afterwards but i still had it once in a while ,then the car accident and it was really back alot numbness and hand coldness its gotten a bit better but still there. 8}
  • my arms would fall asleep all the time before surgery. if i laid on my right side my left arm would fall asleep and vice verse. so severe i had to lift my arm with other.after surgery they still fall asleep, but not as severe or often. also had severe muscle twitches all over body. they are also going away. its been 8 weeks but i see an improvement.
  • Sounds like a silly question, but (carpel tunnel in both hands). If itis your thumb, index and big finger, the prolbem my be in your wrist (carpel tunnel) - if it is your pinkie, and ring, then the problem could be elbow, shoulder or neck. No doctor here, but had that problem for years - waited until the kids were old enough to dress themselves - recovery takes awhile from c.t. It got so bad, i had to 'awake' my hands when I would cut up my dinner!

good luck
  • I have had the same thing happen which is recent. My surgery was back in Oct. I was hoping yesterday that I would be given a prescription since it's in my dominant hand and I could really use it because the numbness and tingling stay with me all day if it starts first thing in the morning or wakes me during the night. I woke up the other morning and my hand was dead like Cliffy describes. Scared the living daylights out of me! I jumped out of bed at 3:30 a.m. to make sure the rest of me wasn't paralyzed. I will probably end up having a nerve conduction study done before too long. I always make sure I make myself sleep in a position that I can't roll over on my hand and sleep on it.
  • When I'm sleeping or lying down, it's both hands about halfway up to the elbows. And it's the kind of asleep that Cliffy was talking about, where you actually have to lift the hand up with the other. In my case, both hands fall asleep so I can't even do that. I try to find humor in everything....the other night I woke up and both hands were so dead. I had to go to the restroom, but had to wait until my hands woke up! Good thing it wasn't an emergency.

During the day when I'm not lying down, my middle finger, ring finger and pinkie are always "buzzing" if that makes sense. Like they are numb, but there is still a bit of feeling. It's a weird feeling. The thing is, I have had an EMG that shows nerve damage relating to the C5 C6 herniation and that should cause numbness in the thumb and first finger. The dr said that everyone is wired different and just because I didn't feel things the way the book said I was supposed to, it didn't mean it wasn't there....Good Doctor....
  • In the same boat so to speak.... I am 14 months and counting in this nightmare and can't seem to wake up. I had ACDF surgery in June '08 Levels C5-6, 6-7 using cages filled w/ my own bones spurs harvested during surgery also plates and screws. About a month after surgery you would think I would be getting better but I was the exact opposite. The excruciating headaches began, left shoulder impingement was found by my PT now having to be seen by an Ortho surgeon, another EMG, nerve induction, CT scan, & myleogram was ordered because of my new and increased pain symptoms that discovered I have permanent nerve damage in my left arm to my finger tips, carpal tunnel in my right hand, two more bulging discs @ levels C 3-4,4-5 that the NS is not wanting to operate on right now, and tremors in my right hand due to hitting my head during my car accident. Sorry for getting off subject but my NS prescribed hand splits for me to wear at night while I sleep for both hands. He said they would keep my hands in a straight position not allowing them to roll into a fist which cuts off the blood supply thus causing them to go to sleep. If you can stand the crazy things they have worked for me. Until I got mine I would wake up atleast 4-6 x's a night having to shake my hands to wake them up. So I hope this can be of some help.

missb :)
  • I truly think my hands get better sleep than I do- not kidding. I can relate to you in that as soon as I wake up I have to shake my hands, and my feet too. It actually panics me everytime, because I automatically think I can't move. I have a pinched nerve, and my thumb/finger wrist on my right side doesn't ever wake- alway numb. My worst level is C5/6 like you. The cervical pinched nerve didn't start up until 8 months after the accident, however I did have the horrible neck pain associated, and MRI showed the pinch before it started up. I am on Lyrica, it helps with nerve pain. I think that is a little different than you describe...hands asleep (are annoying but nothing like the excruciating pain associated with nerve pain), but I am sure they are all related, but I'm not a doctor. I have also heard, like you that we aren't all wired the same!!
  • Lately mine is worse during the day and in the right hand. It's hard to explain. I can still use my hand and fingers, it just feels like I have a glove on...I can feel the pessure of tapping the computer keys, but no sensation....strange. 8}
advertisement