Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

11 days Post Op - intense pain from screws??

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my fusion on Dec 22 and have went through different "phases" of pain but this "phase" is extreme. The last 3 days, whenever I move at all, I get an intense bone type pain in the lower back which corrualates with my hardware. It feels as though I am being stabbed in the spine, very concentrated pain. I am hoping this is something that passes as it heals but the pain is so intense that the meds do not even touch it, I am on Oxycodone 20mg ER & oxy 5/325mg for breakthru.
I am sure what I am feeling are the screws in my spine, but does this pain diminish as it heals? I am very early post op & dont want to get to too worried & whiney about odd pains but I would like to know if others have experienced the same type of pain.
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry to hear you are having so much pain. It would be really hard to tell what your pain is really coming from, your back just went thru a major ordeal. Hardware can cause pain, that was one of my major concerns before surgery, screws can be positioned that they hit muscles and nerves when you move. Have you had your first post op appointment yet? Typically they will xray to make sure your hardware is still in place. I am so glad my doctor has the xray and MRI right in his office for this.

Dont hesitate to make a call to your doctors office, that is what they are there for. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Hugs,
    Shell
  • and he said everything looked good. It was shortly after (a day) that this more concentrated pain came on. It isnt constant, more when I first move (get up, down, etc) it kind of reminds me of a head rush in that it seems to be with sudden movement and then goes away...
    The pain is severe tho.. It takes my breath & I gasp. Scares the heck out of my hubby.

Anyway, I just wondered if others have had this type of pain. It is definately bone pain, and it is worse in the evenings whether I have been active or still.

Hopefully it will pass w/ time. If its not better by Monday tho, I will call my Dr.
  • Bless your heart, sounds like you are having some really extreme pain. I am 6 weeks postop PLIF and although I've had some difficult days, nothing like you describe. I think you are more than justified in calling your doc to find out what's wrong. I have pedicle screws/cage etc but actually have more pain at my bone harvest sit in my hip than my main incision. Take care of yourself. Don't second guess the kind of pain you are having. Kathy in Atlanta
  • Tatiyana,
    This is the same pain I had/have. Mine has gotten better. Instead of being all day like it was earlier, now it is just at night or after activity. I HOPE it gets better for both of us. I really hope that once it fuses, it will stop the motion. You would think the motion has already been stopped by the hardware. Also, at my second post-op appointment I was complaining about the pain, that it seemed my back was coming apart. The PA then showed me on a model what they did to my back--the pulling apart of the spine, the drilling into the bone...that is what you are probably feeling. Hang in there.

Chuck
  • knowing that it will pass. I do think it may be a little less painful than yesterday but I will know more later tonight. For some reason it starts getting almost unbearable around 7pm...weird, but like you said our spines have been through alot.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!
advertisement