Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

did anybody take their iPod for inpatient stay?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'd like to take my iPod to listen to some tunes while I'm locked up, but I'd hate for it to disappear one night while I'm dozing. I can see it now: the nurse looks at me and says "you haven't been listening to an iPod...you're imagining that...it must be your medication"...am I being paranoid?

I hope that everybody had a nice New Year's Day
advertisement

Comments

• iPod and laptop. Neither one disappeared or was messed with.

"C"
  • I also brought my ipod and laptop. I was in my room all the time, and I actually didn't sleep for very long periods of time, but it was fine.
  • I didn't take mine this time -- I took it when I had a gastric bypass nearly two years ago. I filled it with relaxation sounds -- ocean waves, thunderstorms, etc. It worked like a charm in getting me to sleep and staying that way. I forgot to do it this time around.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I even used mine right up until they took them out of my ears in pre op and then gave them back to me in post op. My doctor saw how relaxed I was I guess being the kind hearted soul he is he let me keep it until I was asleep. No problems getting it back.
  • I'm assuming I'll have a roommate, so I'd at least like to have my iPod. But I am also worried about theft, if I'm doped up on morphine, makes me nervous to have my laptop with me...
  • & my laptop. My hubby stayed with me the whole time but I don't think i would have worried about it disappearing.
    It was a great relaxation device..I loaded "The Best of Bread" and loved the mello tunes.
  • I took my Ipod with me also. I (or a family member) was in the room most of the time, so I really didn't worry too much about anyone getting it. I took a small basket that I kept my lotion, chapstick, cell phone, etc. in and I just kept it tucked away in there when I wasn't using it.
  • I definitley am taking my ipod, some nice relaxation music like some of the other posts mentioned.... I will only be in for a day or two, but music certainly helps me relax. I also subscribe to the Joel Osteen podcast, what a great motivation for my recovery!
  • thanks for all of the positive replies...I'll definitely charge it up this weekend
  • was with me almost he entire time (recent 10 day 2 stop hospitalization, but when he wasn't there and I got sleepy, I would put the iphone under my hip and sleep on it. Not the most comfy, but I figured I would wake up if someone tried to get it.

I downloaded an application called WhiteNoise and I played the "heavy rain" for many hours to relax. It was nice.

Cheri
  • I was so jacked up on drugs I couldn't find my butt with both hands. I thought the consulting Dr was a street vendor in Miami that sold me fried dough years ago. Sure was glad to go home and the hospital staff was glad to see me go.

I ordered pizza for them later.

Harry
  • Ipod, Laptop, Nintendo DS with tons of games, cell phone, chargers, Personal mini DVD player and my favorite movies. I had no problems, but I have heard of issues in larger hospitals with theft.

Good luck and stay comfortable!
    Shell
  • I had a 360 fusion, hardwear and ADR. I was told I would go home the next morning so I wouldn't have time to use my IPOD or laptop. Anytime I was awake I practiced getting out of bed and walking the halls. All surgery patients get a private room so that was nice but I would fear the laptop would fall out of bed if I was medicated and sleepy.
  • Oh yes definitely. The tv gave me a headache (I think it was the meds) but my kids had programmed my ipod with my favorite music...nice to have and especially nice when you are recovering and walking! Best Wishes to You!!
  • I'm glad I didn't do that because I was so out of it post op and I slept a lot.
  • The hospital I went to was totally lame in this area... The TV and phone you had to pay for out of your own pocket, they will not bill your insurance as part of your hospital stay. It's like, 7 bucks a day for the TV, forget what for the phone, but I said hell no to both. Sooo, I had my cell phone with me the whole time (definitely wasn't leaving that at home) so I called people and texted them from that... They didn't care that I had it. They don't ban cell phones from the surgical recovery floor, so it was convenient. I really had the most skewed sleeping schedule... I would be awake most of the night and most of the day... I really only slept for max maybe 2 hours at a time. I used my ipod for walking laps around the hospital floor every few hours... It was very, very, very good motivation and a good distraction from the pain. I would clip my smaller ipod onto my johnny, put my non skid slipper socks on, and make my rounds. Haha :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    IPODS didnt exist and I am not even sure if we had gotten out of the 8track tape mode!
    But still, you should be able to bring antying into a hospital and not worry about it being taken.
    If there is any concern, then I would really think about what hospital you are using.
    Sure there are always bad seeds anywhere, but having a hospital, a staff you can trust is so important.
    When I had my surgeries, I wanted to meet the various hospital staff people.. Nurses, Aids, Food Folks, Housekeepers, etc.. It was easier for me to do this, since for 6 out of my 7 spinal surgeries, were done at the hospital where my wife works. Having inside knowledge is very helpful
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Will make notes of personal items that you bring in with you like cell phones and laptops to make sure you have them with you when you leave because you do leave there all doped up sometimes and not thinking very clearly.
advertisement