Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Being off balance, is it a problem

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone this is my second post in just a few minutes. I have a question for everyone about feeling off balance. I have the problems described below and my question is if feeling terribly off balance in the mornings when I get up related to my new injury? It isn't from any new medication, I'm not taking anything new. Just curious if a cervical disk injury will cause that. Thanks ahead of time. Paul
advertisement

Comments

• A cervical disc injury can and will cause that if the spinal cord has become compromised. Are you having any other symptoms?
  • I have quite a bit of pain, my neck and down my left shoulder blade and sometimes I can't tell where it's all coming from. My left arm feels achy and it tingles. I see a neurosurgeon on the 13th of Jan. Thanks for your response. Paul
  • I would suggest also a blood pressure test and a heart check, as left arm tingling can be a warning sign of heart problems.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey paulc,
    I think you answered your own question. Like tonya said it very well could be the cause of your balance issue. And the compression of your spinal cord at C6 is most likely the source of the tingling in your arm. I have the same problem, my balance problem improved after my multi-level fusion but I have permanent nerve damage to my left hand and arm. Glad to see you have an appointment to see your neurosurgeon soon, you don't want to wait too long.
    Take a friend with you to your appt., two sets of ears are better than one. Ask
    lots of questions so you know exactly what will be done.
    Take care and keep us posted here. PM me if you have any questions.
    Ranger
  • Welcome to spine-health Paul. Ranger and Tonya are right about the cervical problems causing the symptoms your having.I can relate to your balane issue, mine is from damage to my spinal cord. It is good that you are going to a NS to have things looked at. I also have nerve damage to my left arm/hand due to myelopathy. There is a lot of good information here and many good people that can share their experances with you, we are not medical professionals, just people that have spine problems.

mark
  • I have noticed I am MORE off balance since my surgery in October. If I am standing while putting on jeans, I practically fall over. When I mentioned this to my surgeon a few weeks after surgery, he said the nerves were still inflammed. But, it has been about nine weeks since my surgery and it seems worse now!

Elle
  • Does your doctor know about this particular symptom of yours? I know your appt is just about a week away but a week of this type of symptom needs more immediate attention. I speak from my own experience. I'm definitely not giving you medical advice. Your C5-C6 sounds JUST like mine. I don't mean for this to sound alarming to you or anything but I would definitely see if I couldn't get an earlier appointment with your doctor.
  • Your balance issues are probably much different than Paul's since you've already been through surgery. Ativan may be the cause of your balance issues I would go look that up if I were you. Yours could simply a side effect of the meds you are on. I'm just not sure. Go to rxlist.com and you can pretty much read all about Ativan just like the information that comes in the bottle at the pharmacy instead of the little paper they staple to your bag.
  • and welcome to SH :H There are a lot of nice people here to answer any questions you have. I have learned a lot from this site and have found it very helpful. Like you I too have cervical issues, mine is at C5/6 and C6 pinched nerve on right side to thumb and pointer. I have herniated disks that indent the spinal cord. My family doctor had me do all the conservative things like PT, swim, massage, nerve blocks. Like you, I went to a NS, who suggested complete removal of disk. I wanted a second opinion. I am waiting now...my appointment is for March, I am going to push earlier. When my accident first happened, the first month I had a great deal of problems with balance. I could not stand in one place without feeling like I was falling. This has improved, but I still feel my balance is off...I wouldn't want to be asked to walk a straight line. My left leg is significantly weaker than my right and I am not sure if the neck has caused this or if it is my back- plus my gait has become wide, and I walk much slower. My experience is that balance does improve in time, perhaps PT has helped this. :??
  • Try getting up slowly to a sitting position and sit a few minutes before slowly getting up. This dizziness is probably due to your disc problems but you should get a complete physical by your Dr. Did you hit your head when you had the accident? Did you have the same dizziness since Dec. 10? I'm sorry you had such a bad fall. I hope you have a speedy healing. We're all wishing you the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • tonya42 said:
    Your balance issues are probably much different than Paul's since you've already been through surgery. Ativan may be the cause of your balance issues I would go look that up if I were you. Yours could simply a side effect of the meds you are on. I'm just not sure. Go to rxlist.com and you can pretty much read all about Ativan just like the information that comes in the bottle at the pharmacy instead of the little paper they staple to your bag.
    Nope, definitely not from the Ativan since I have been taking it for several years due to anxiety. My surgeon did say inflammation/ impingment of the spinal cord can cause one to lose their balance more frequently. I just wonder my symptoms have increased since having my acdf.

Elle
  • It sounds like myelopathy. I wasn't given any options for physical therapy or any other options. It was have surgery or run the risk of paralysis. That's why it was only 2 weeks for me from diagnosis to surgery. If your symptoms get any worse please call your doctor tomorrow and tell them.
  • I to notice I lose my balance as well everything that's goes with herniated disc,,doc sending me for discgram
    Injection ,,has anybody had these procedure ,,will I need surgery. It's been about a year with pain just about everyday
    ,,,can someone explain what going on with my back,,what's best option. Thx
  • Last fall, I suddenly started feeling like the room was spinning every time I put my head back. First, it was when I leaned back to put in eyedrops, Then it progressed to being every time I laid down. Since my C5/C6 ACDF on April 10th, that feeling has been gone most of the time. I had a long-time herniated disc and bone spurs laying right on the nerve. There was a small amount of spinal cord compression, but just in the outer area. My surgeon's PA told me it hadn't progressed to the point where it would cause permanent problems.
advertisement