Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AXIAL LIF Scheduled

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI Everyone! After 14 months of pain and 6 epidurals, a rhazotomy, pt and on and on. I have decided to move forward with the new type of fusion. I have had three opinons and four MRI's, a CT and tons of x-rays. I am scheduled for Jan 20, 2008!

This forum has been so helpful! I am sure during recovery I will be here reading and asking questions! Thanks everyone for your help!

I have been told the recovery is much better then a traditional fusion, please pass on any good advice! I know I still have BLT's to follow. I am looking forward to being out of pain!!!

Blessings!
Backtyme

advertisement

Comments

• and hoping you have a soomth and quick recovery. Great news to hear things are moving forward for you!

Do everything the doctor's tell you, and don't over do it. Please tell us how you are feeling and don't let cabin fever get you down :) Take care and best of luck!
  • Backtyme, hi my friend, how are you? Well doesn't it feel good to be moving forward with hope for the future? See, waiting probably was for the best, cause now you have a less invasive option. I look forward to hearing from you post-op about your experience. Yep, no BLT, including lifting that toddler of yours :) Hope you have lots of help at home during your recovery. I can't imagine trying to do it with a little one. Keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Hugs and prayers, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Backtyme, I hope your upcoming surgery goes well and you have a good recovery.

What's the difference between an Axial LIF and traditional fusions? I never heard about it; thanks. 8>
  • You are right! All things happen in the right time! I can't thank you for all your help and kind words! I will keep you posted! Yes we did get help. My husband works to much to not have help during this. Doc said no lifting the little guy for 6 weeks! But I will home the next day after surgery!

Talk soon!
    Backtyme
  • Axial fusion is a fusion for the L5 S1 and is less invasive. It is on incision that is 1 inch long. no tear of muscles or nerves. Recovery is much better. You are even out of the hospital in a day. Some people are back to light work in two weeks. I am also having two extra screws added on each side of my spine. So I will also have to extra incisions. But both are very small.
  • I cannot wait to hear how you do. I looked into this surgery, but just ran out of energy and went the traditional route. They claim this to be a break through surgery but only for L5/S1 and perhaps L4 now too? I'm sure you've seen the video of this surgery which is very impressive. I have heard that the reason why it isn't widespread is because it is limited to a very specific problem (which is very common, however), most docs can't/won't take the time to learn it, and it is much less expensive than traditional fusion. You are going to do GREAT!

Chuck
  • HI,

I have done tons of research. I do live in So Cal and was lucky enough to be able to see docs that worked on the studies for this surgery. I am also a nurse. Worked in starting stage for studies. But not in back issues. I worked in oncology. This back thing is crazy! I am so glad this new type of fusion is possible. I will have two surgeons. One did do the studies for the L4 as well. I need that fused but the fail rate is high. I did not want a two level fusion. I decided to tackle the biggest problem, my fractures and spondy at L5,S1. I have a young child so this type of surgery is a God send. Of course I understand you get nothing for free. I have BLT's to follow. But I will now have a cage. I will post and let you know how things go! Thanks for your support. This site has been amazing. It is hard being the "patient"!

Blessing,
    Backtyme (aka Misty)
  • Misty,
    I've heard that some axial lif patients don't even feel like they've had surgery and have to remind themselves not to BLT. Boy, would that be nice. Looking forward to a good report.

Chuck
  • I wish you all the best for this surgery. It sounds very promising. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement