Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery

shazzasshazza Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Spinal Injections
:S ive joined here to have some advice on back surgery. ive just been put on the waiting list for tlif fusion surgery of l1 .... i havent been offered injections though, and didnt know anything about them. i wonder how disabled someone should be before going ahead with surgery, as i am able to do most things, and though my back always hurts and makes me miserable, im not actually chair bound or anything. i do have trouble standing up with out leaning on anything, but can walk and am able to work part time, even though after 4 hours things get very painful, i still do manage to work through it.i am allergic to most of the painkillers out there that work well, so i cant really manage my pain that way. one bit of advice ive been given is that i shouldnt go ahead with surgery until i am immobile, as the surgery may not even help. ive got a severely degenerate disk l1...i fractured l4 and 5 over a year ago and crushed a disk, which is what the mri scan was for..and the l1 disk problem was found then,its been painful for 15 years ???
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Shazza,

Permit me to provide my thoughts.

I have been told over and over again "Surgery is the LAST option." Take that seriously.

First, try all the other options. And one of those happens to be epidural spinal injections. When my PM doc strongly advised me to give it a try I said "NO WAY, everything I read and all the people I talked with said they just do not work.

WELLLLll Shazza, he convinced me to give it a try. WOW am I ever glad I gave it a try. The first ESI injection was Apr '07, and of this day the periodic injections are still working.

"i wonder how disabled someone should be before going ahead with surgery," An EXCELLENT question, one that I have asked several spinal surgeons. The answer I remember best, and the one I use as my guide - one surgeon said "come see me for surgery when you cannot walk across your living room." The more I read the more I talk with others the more I find his words to be words of wisdom.

Shazza, in my opinion DEFINITELY get an ESI. Search for the VERY BEST pain management doc you can find. Make sure he/she is considered the VERY BEST at giving an ESI. ALSO make sure the doctor using a fluoroscope to help him/her guide the needle to EXACTLY the PRECISE location the corticosteroid must go so the medication CAN reduce the inflammation causing the pain.

AND do get a few more opinions from spinal surgeons.

I wish you the best.

RichT