Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain gets worse when I stop moving??

TiffanyTerrorTTiffanyTerror Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone,

Lately I've been a little puzzled by something. My family members (who all have bad backs, thank you genetics ;) ) as well as doctors say that lying or sitting in some position should provide some sort of pain relief.

However when I stop moving my pain gets much worse than when I am moving. For example I was grocery shopping today and doing some bending over etc, and I was in pain when I was up walking around. When I sit down or lay down though the pain is much worse, no matter how I sit or lay. It takes about 10-15 minutes for the pain to subside, and it only does as long as Im not moving.

Does this happen to anyone else? I know that some people dont get relief from lying or sitting but I haven't run across anyone yet that has WORSE pain when doing these things. Its like a severe burning, searing pain in my low back and down my legs.

• I can get up and clean my kitchen (without bending over too much of course)and can walk around the house, but when I sit to "relax" the pain is worse and sleeping at night is a constant fight with pillow propping and blankets to get the pain to let up.
    The way it was explained to me is it all depends on where and what is pushing on what nerves. I was told three people can have the same disc bulge but they can all three have different symptoms.
    Has your doctor prescribed any muscle relaxers? The muscles will tighten up to protect your spine and that may be what you are experiencing. I know I can feel the muscles twitch and tighten when I am at rest. Just a thought......
  • im always on the move, staying still in any position is worse for me, i find staning up unaided the worst, like in a que while shopping or watching my son play rugby....i always look for something to lean on and cant keep still. i have a severely degenerate disk L5/S1 and am on waiting list for TLIF fusion surgery.

Im sitting here now, and the pain is worse I am moving about the chair all of the time.

My children tell me when im doing things 'thought your back was bad' as if im lying or something, it doesnt make sense to them when i say that doing nothing is the most painful thing of all!
  • I don't have as much pain when I lay down, but standing is brutal for me. I've just been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, and one of the main symptoms is that there is more pain when you're still than when you're moving.

Like shazza, I have people comment on how "well" I'm doing if they see me out moving around, but that's how we survive!

• If I am going I am hurting but ok. It is when I sit down that my pain hits me. It settles into my bones, and curls up around my joints and decides to visit awhile.

I know the feeling. This was before and now after my latest surgery.

One Love,

• thats because there's much more pressure on your spine when your upright or sitting which causes the pain.Maybe you don't feel it at the time but its there.Once you stop and relax thats when it hits. I used to walk and a walk alot,every day because it helped me with the pain.My body would make natural endorphines that helped the pain when i moved around.Once i stopped and relaxed then the pain would get unbearable.
  • I am wondering if it's just because your mind is focused on something else therefore not recognizing the pain as much. Also, any movement that increases your heart rate can release endorphines which are our bodies way of fighting off pain. I try to stay as busy as possible. I seem to feel the worst when I am laying around. It seems all I am thinking about is how bad I feel and then I feel worse. I try to get up and wash off the counters or pick up my sons toys. They are always out and if I pick them up there will be news one out shortly so I am never in short suppoly of having to find something to do lol.

My family is the same way if I'm up and moving around. It's like if I am not limping and moaning and groaning in pain then I must be doing good and ready to get back to normal and back to work. I just don't complain to them anymore about my back hurting because they are sick of hearing it and it doesn't do any good anyway. I still have to do most things myself whether it hurts or not.
  • It is finding that balance in what make it better if anything and what makes it worse, moving may well be a distraction that is while you are doing that you are not concentrating on the pain that made you sit in the first place and most of this is trial and error with little continuity.

My life is sit, stand walk, lay down, anytime anyplace anywhere, it is nice when people see the effort that you and making and support positive behaviour, and where that balance between reasonable explanation of you pain and excess is difficult and not the same for any individuals. Lack of understanding by others is a problem with them and not in the disclosure of how we feel or the emotion of it.

Many here perform beyond what may be thought as capability, this take determination effort and desire, the key is to know when to stop and try not to exceed our individual performance and surfer more as a consequence of over exertion and not pacing effectively. In reality our daily responsibility does exceed our know capacity even before we start so something is going to have to be rejected otherwise we will come to a standstill and be incapable of anything, and that is not the best long term strategy for managing it more effectively. If our existence is just pain then immobility we are unlikely to get much done and the less is more analogy and doing things when you can and having intermittent rest is the best way forward. Tomorrow will not be the same and what we were able to do previously have no reference on what we can do today to some extent; every day really is a new one.

Take care now, you know one thing that makes it worse find some that make it not as bad, notice I did not say better !

This discussion has been closed.