Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

microdiscectomy to fusion

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I had a microdiscectomy and wondered how long patients last until they end up getting fused. Any Ideas?

Backman38
advertisement

Comments

• I have often wondered that myself. Welcome to the forum, by the way, in case you haven't been welcomed already!

How long ago did you have your MicroD? I had mine Sept 5, 2008. I am extra careful not to lift anything too heavy and with bending, but sometimes I forget and then I wonder if I've blown it. Literally. I have a colleague who had a discectomy 30 years ago and made it up until a year or two ago before she had another one. So I am hoping to go 30 years without more problems!! Knock on wood...

I would like to know how long most people can go without having to have another surgery, like a fusion, and also what activity caused the problem to arise.

Is there anyone who has heard of having a MicroD and then not ever needing any other surgery ever again?

I worry that I am just buying time until I end up with needing surgery again. Not a fun feeling.

Blessings,

Haylie
  • There isn't a "norm" for this. Some patients experience permanent relief with the micro, while others have repeated surgeries until more invasive procedures are called for.

Hello (my first post).

- I had an L4-L5 Laminectomy and Discectomy in 10/2002

- I had L5-S1 fusion and discectomy in 1/2006.

- I had L4-L5 microdiscectomy in 6/2006.

- I had L4-L5 XLIF with fusion in 4/2008, fulldiscectomy, cages, pedicle screws, rods and laminectomy.

- I had L3-L4 XLIF fusion and full discectomy with removal of instrumentation from previous XLIF, and re-installation of full instrumentation from L3-S1. Surgery was 7 hours. Oh yeah...that surgery was 4 days ago (12/30/08).

Who knows how much is related. Best thing you can do is practice spine-healthy methods - spine neutral movements, lots of exercise, building core strength, not smoking, regular stretches etc...

Best of luck to you!
    mike