Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Explain your L5S1 pain

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 474
Hi, I'm just wondering if everyone could share their pain and what they feel on an everyday basis with this type herniation. I am wondering if I am feeeling the same thing. It's truly the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. I've been thru labor (have 3 kids), felt both my c/s after the incisions (spinals wore off) and had acute gallbladder syndrome which was pretty bad but short lived b/c I had it taken out. I also have triple cervical DDD which I had been on Fentanyl patches for 2 years for that eased off a couple months before this L5/S1 herniation occured. This pain is so awful and continuous, I can hardly cope.

Mine feels like aching in lower back, sharp electrical pain in right buttocks, burning, shooting stinging pain to back of knee, cramps in calf and foot, numbness in foot at times. When in flair up like I am right now, the spasms in low back and buttocks have a death grip on sciatic nerve and won't let go like a monster with an occasional tighter squeeze that brings me to scream or tears. My right hip aches like arthritis all the way to the front of my hip.

Does this sound the same as any of you? It's not really described this way online when I look it up and it's hard to tell a doctor this.
advertisement

Comments

• I think you have done a good job describing what many of us experience with that catch-all phrase, "sciatic pain." We are affected in a variety of ways, slightly different locations, but what you describe is spot-on. The pain really wears you down after awhile.

Do you find warm or hot water soothing? Or a heating pad? Ice? Do you get any relief from a change in position? Some people are only in pain when standing and walking, but have relief when sitting or lying down.

I think you could read this description to your doctor and he would understand what you are experiencing.
  • Hi there, my L5 S1 pain began with inabiliry to weight bare on my leg from extreem pain but that would wear off after a few days, then I thought I had glass in my right big toe and kept checking it, now that has been numb for a whole year with stabbing sensations and such on and off through out the day. My lateral calf burns and tingles, my last two toes, pad of foot and ankle all get sore and tingles and numbness. My lateral thigh, hamstrings and top thigh burn, hurt and tingle and go numb. I would also wake up stiff and unable to move in the mornings felt like painful concret. the pain is so specific and anoying. I had a few gallbladder atacks and passed its contents a few years ago and that pain made me pass out and vomit on myself. And I have had two C-sections that were minimal with the pain. The back pain is tearful, constant, bad at times, bearable at times.
  • have had 3 L5-S1 back surgeries, but complained all 3 years about the same pain - burning 24/7 in my buttock to my toes. On better days, it wouldn't go all the way to my feet, on most it did.

Docs kept saying "give it time", but a year ago, I had an EMG that showed permanent S1 nerve damage. I was devastated by validated at the same time. Finally an answer. Now I'm getting a spinal cord stimulator and hoping to reroute/block the pain signals from my damaged, misbehaving nerves.

Oh, forgot to add that sometimes I have what I call "lightening strikes" that fly through my legs out my feet. Those are the worst. And I have lateral numbness on my hips, thigh, calves and feet. I have to be very careful when I shave, etc. (Female, here lol). I also have balance issues because the outsides of my feet don't feel much of anything.

I'm sorry you have that burning pain - it is the worst!

Cheri
  • Thanks so much for responding to me. I feel so alone on this journey. Gweenie, heating pad and hot baths to feel better, but do not alleviate the spasms, but its more soothing. Ice as I read is best since the sciatic is "on fire already from inflammation and should be used" makes me spasm 5X worse, I can't take it. It certainly is worse sitting, especially in long car rides...I have a lumbar pillow from the PT that does help. Changing positions is a must and lying down is most comfy, but I do get up and walk some. I have a temp order off from work where I can't sit, walk or stand more than an hour each. :(

Charry, how old are you? I know I could benefit from a cane for support b/c I hold onto things alot to get around, but I am turning 36 today and am so afraid of stigma and don't want to embarrass my kids or hubby or anyone else, so I refuse to get one. My dh holds me for support while walking as not to look so "obvious" So sad of me to think that way. I know what you mean about dishes. And oh my...laundry...bending over 20 times to do a few loads for 7 people in my household. It's unbearable. Thank God my hubby helps so much...but he shouldn't have to...he has enough to do. And I know about the doctor's office waits. My urgent care wait on friday was 3 hours...I was up/down so many times...I stood against the wall mostly. I can't sit. I really hope you feel better...I'll have to look up your sleeping pill.

cherish...my, you look young from your picture. How is that scs going to help with the electrectrical pain? I don't know much about it, but I can't stand my tens unit on my sciatic area...ouch! I hope to God it works for you...why must the docs not believe us? I really feel I have more going on that the MRI shows. My pain is horrendous, but the surgeons is looking at one test. Thank God my pcp treats my symptoms.

natural sci==I do have the inability to bear weight too...forgot that one...I limp 80% of time...but the glass in big toe...ouch! I haven't had that one! I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you get relief...what does help you get relief since you seem to like natural remedies?
  • Thanks for the compliment.....I'm 42! lol With 2 boys, 19 and 16, if you can believe it.

The TENS unit also KILLED me. OMG - it was awful.

The SCS felt totally different. My trial involved leads threaded up my back to my thoracic level, and I wore a fanny pack (Purse with a belt) holding the pulse generator and remote control. The pulse generator sends pulses into the spinal canal that block the pain coming from the damaged nerves below. Gate Theory of Pain, if you want to look into it.

I had about an 80% reduction in pain and it was amazing. You buzz/tingle all the time that you have it turned on instead of burning nerve pain. It doesn't work on everyone which is why most people have to have a trial first. Since I have almost 100% radiating nerve pain, I was an ideal candidate.

It's just after 8 am central time and I haven't been called to cancel. I have to be there at 10:30am, so still crossing my fingers.

I don't think people get to this option until they have no life left and nothing else has worked. I personally have to stay reclined in a chair 23 hours a day. Doing anything else has a limit of 20 to 30 minutes before which I will have the most horrible nerve flares beyond the constant nerve burning.

And if this does not work for me, my last option is an implanted pain pump, which I will consider. Anything to decrease my oral meds!! Ugh!

I do have a can AND a walker! My walker is cool, with a basket, and brakes like on a bike. I do used it when I'm going to a store or place that doesn't have a scooter to use. When I have to sit down, I get a few seconds notice. If I don't sit down, I end up on the floor. My leg will literally just "go out". Don't know how else to describe it. I came around to accepting these aids because I thought it was more embarrassing to be falling in public. lol

Take care,

Cheri
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,716
    Hi Tarheel girl
    I am too experiencing most of the pain you describe for the past 3 weeks. I had surgery 1996 Laminectomy L 4/5 S1 for spinal stenosis. I have suffered since from pain which is normally manageable, since April last year I have experienced my 2nd big flare-up. That agonising pain you describe, the burning sharp electrical pain that grips, brings me to the verge of passing out.It is in my lower back, left hip and the whole of of my left thigh, like one almighty cramp I tried heat, but found ice packs was all that would give any sort of relief to enable me to get to a chair. I haven't been able to sleep in my bed for the last 3 weeks, as lying on my left is like a stones digging in my hip which wiithin one minute causes spasm in my thigh, it's too painful to lie on my back, bit easier on my right, but when I go to get out of bed the cramp starts which then goes into my back within seconds and there we go again that sharp severe pain that fixes me to the spot.During the day I can sit in an armchair as long as I am supported by cushions strategically placed, and taking short walk around the home every 15 mins.
    I hope you find something that works for you, as the pain wears you down.It is good to know other people understand our pain
    Take care Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• up my alley with this pain. I have had L5-S1 pain for years. I actually have very little pain in the lower back. It is sore, especially after a bout of spasms.

Most of my pain is in my butt and down my legs with about 75% of it down my left leg. I get unbearable pain in my butt cheek that feels like someone has stabbed me with a steak knife and is twisting it around.

The pain radiates down my left leg into the foot. I get burning/tingling/pins&needles down the leg. The best way I can describe that pain is that it feels like I have layed my leg on smoldering charcoal that has broken glass mixed into it.

I have saddle pain that comes and goes and the best way I can describe that is that it's like I have been kicked inbetween the legs. Don't know if you can relate to that but thats it.

I really can relate to the feeling of glass in your foot. I havn't heard it described that way, I am ultra paranoid about having a spider in my shoe. I can't tell you how many times I think I have stepped into my shoe and think that I have been bitten.

• Cheri,
    I'm sorry for the type of life you are left with...that is so rough! How did the procedure go? I pray it really helps your pain and betters your life so you can get around more.

Liz and Kai...hope you two feel better too...my appt went well and my Dr. upped my meds to long acting (oxycontin) with percocet for breakthru and a different relaxant. I think the steroids kicked in as well? Something changed b/c my pain level is down a notch. Thanks to all!
  • I like to find a position of ease and lay in it for a while to ease the pain sometimes it can be the strangest position, I use to curl up alot. Most of the time just handle it because the drugs make me too wasted and I get addicted to the ones that actually work a bit. I take regular doses of magnesium and calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C. If I go two days without magnesium my muscles go crazy and My whole body is very sore.
    I also had moxybustion / chinese accupuncture where he diagnosed my issues by measuring my pulses. It worked but like a drug would wear off, sometimes after two weeks and sometimes after 5 days or not work at all. My kids ae crying, I hope everyone if feeling good.
  • The procedure itself didn't go so well, but at least I had pain control. Just wish I hadn't been awake to listen to all the troubles! I have an anomaly or something in my spine causing problems. But, the SCS is in and we were finally able to get a program that is working.

Currently, I am buzzing down both back legs, my rear, and everything in between. A little "over kill", but it is covering the nerve pain. It is the weirdest sensation. Imagine being a massage chair. Not sitting on a massage chair, but BEING a massage chair. lol

I have kept the unit on almost constantly since Monday. I turn it up or down depending on what I am doing. When I lay back or lay down, it gets naturally stronger so I have to turn it down a bit. When I am up walking, I have to turn it up stronger so I feel it. All this will adjust through time, trial and error.

So far, very happy. Tweaks will be needed for sure, and if the leads move any at all, I may have to go in for another procedure to get the paddle leads. But I will cross that bridge if and when I get there. The pain relief is just so amazing - it is worth it to struggle if needed to get to the finish line.

Take care,

Cheri
  • I wish I had found this thread before I posted over at chronic pain regarding the worst leg pain I've ever had in my life. I've become a recluse because even local playgroups are painful (it's more of a kiddie corral). Does anyone practice yoga? I miss it so much, and I'll be 6 weeks post op this next week, and since I've already re-ruptured I don't think I can make anything worse. My butt/hamstrings are worse at night(I can't sit here much longer)....my calves/feet are worse in the morning.

It was interesting reading all of your posts. It makes me feel a little less alone.
    Thanks,
    Shelley
  • I did yoga once, around 2000 or so. And the next morning, I could not get out of bed. It is suspected that that might have been the first time I herniated the disc, but did not know it. It slowly got better, I didn't take it seriously (basically ignored it), but never did yoga again because of how easy it was to hurt myself.

Well, I take that back. I went to one other class in 2005 during my back problems, told the Indian lady running the class, and she almost asked me to leave. She did NOT want me hurting myself in her class. She showed me every "baby" name in the book, practically. I didn't pull a single muscle. Thinking about it today scares me!!

• hi, i just wanted to respond to your post i see alot of others have responded as well.i also have the same symptoms and have problems with the same disc. i have lived with the pain in my left hip since before the age of 13. i just assumed that it was arthritis until i was diagnosed. the pain in my hip is a horrible ache that is there all of the time. i also have the pain in my leg(only my left leg though),tingling,sharp shooting pain and my foot goes numb. sometimes if i stand for more than a few minutes it feels like it has fallen asleep and someone is stabbing me with needles. the pain in my back feels like someone is grinding my bones together or putting pressure on the top and bottom of my spine.some days i cant even walk because the pain is so bad and my leg just gives out and i fall or just barely catch myself.i walk with cane to prevent as many falls as i can,as they cause pain for several days. i explained this pain to my pm doctor and he says it is typical for this to happen. anyway, i just wanted to let you know and add my info to the list that someone else feels the same thing that you do. hang in there and god bless.
  • hi,im a 29 year old mother of one 13 yr old.i have DDD,radialculopathy,and annular tear L5,S1.i was just curious what herbal remedies you use and how well do they help?i am also Norco 10/325 2 three times a day and nuerontin 300mg three times a day and anti-anxiety meds three times a day. it helps the pain is still have horrible pain,weakness,numbness and sharp shooting pain.i also receive nerve root pain blocks in my back. so i am open to any non-addictive addition to help. thank you
  • mine feels like someone is crushing it and pouring boiling water over it.my foot feels cold and numb but aches my calf feels like it is about to cramp and my back aches like mad
    STRAKER
  • Hi Everybody, I am new here and just read this thread like it was written about me!!! I too have been having massive left leg,calf,foot pain that burns, stabs all the wa to the outside of my left foot! So unbearable at times that I wish I could amputate my leg all together!! I had one surgery two years ago...think it was a disectomy..(part of disc remeoved to take pressure of sciatic). Pain decreased a little after that...but never fully in my low back and leg. Recently (around thanksgiving)it started coming back slowing and ha increased daily to this point I am now! Horrible searing pain.I have an appt. this tues the 13th with nuerologist and am anxious to get rid of this pain. I have no idea what he will want to do...I have already had steroid shots in the past, didnt work, PT, didnt help..most recently steroids pills..nothing. I am on fentanyl 100mcgs and norco fot bt pain.
    Thanks for any support and I am SO happy I found this site.
    BTW I am a 38yr old female with two teenage daughters and happily married for twenty years this aug.
  • welcome to the site .you will find that we are a friendly bunch .i hope that we as a group can support you and advise you and just be there at 3 am in the morning for a chat! {i presume that like most of us that your sleep is disturbed?}
    you can email me anytime at
    tony.beer1@googlemail.com
    if you want to chat
    by the way even if you amputated your leg you still may get leg pain ! a phenonimon know as phantom leg pain {you can't win !!{i live with my wife Kath in Manchester uk i am 42}
    STRAKER

• Thinking about it today scares me!!

Sorry to hear that! I think I'm going to wait it out until I heal from my ALIF. I can't really do any of it anyway with my 18 month old and two year old climbing on me. There are some poses that I can do that feel good, but not for long. I'm going to start the yoga type breathing again using the lotus pose, because I thing my breathing is messed up again. I know I've been holding my breath, and having shallow breathing from the pain. 10 min a few times a day is a gentle reminder to BREATHE.

Ciao,
    Shelley
  • Tarheelgirl and Cherish,

I think you did a great job of explaining what this pain feels like!

My pain is a constant ache in my lower back that turns into an incredible deep ache in my hip. It hurts ALL the time. The ache in my hip then turns into sharp pain that runs through my right buttock and down the outside of my right leg. It feels like a toothache sharp and very touchy. If I brush up against something or my DH touches me I can barely stand it. The worst are those lightening strikes that shoot out my toes, but lucky for me those have diminished somewhat over time. I also get horrible cramps and pins and needles in my foot and calf that come and go.

It's a lousy way to live because it is always there and it affects everything I do.
  • Yes...My sleep is very bad...even after taking two flexeril and ambien!! Can't wait until tues. to find out what is going on now! I just took a shower and am now shaking all over from the intense pain...I dont think i can do it again. Guess my hubby will have to put up with a screaming (in pain) and stinky wife LOL.
    But Thank you for the warm welcome, its good to know you are there...and I am sorry for your pain also. I see you have Chrones? My step-mom also has that and had to have a colostomy sp? bag. Poor thing. it must be horrible. Did you also have that done?
  • annewrig, thanks for sharing..we sound pretty identical! My flair up is better not since I took the prednisone...so the spasms have gotten somewhat better, but the other sensations are still here of course. Or perhaps my new relaxer is helping too?

Cheri, Hey! I'm glad your system is in and working...sorry about the problems getting it in. Please keep us updated on how it continues to work for you! Very exciting!!

Sorry Jenfab you are having these issues again...it really is torture! I"m now on the long acting flexoril and I have to take a sleeping pill and I still wake up too. I don't know what else to do.

sleeping bear...I've never tried herbal stuff.

Lunac...I would like to do pilates to stretch, but the problem is that I often get spasms doing hardly anything. My PT excercises even cause spasms for me, but I would think yoga would be ok? I know I can't when I'm having a flair up though!

thanks eveyone for posting back to me. I pray you all feel better soon.
  • I agree with Gwennie and let your Dr. know that. That pain also describes me. The pain is heavy, deep, gnawing and at times it feels like a knife in the back. There's been alot of burning feeling for me too lately. Epidurals have helped with the numbness and tingling and pain in the legs although it is still there at some degree. When I stand to do dishes I can only stand on one leg and look like a pelican holding my foot up. I don't have strength to stand more than 3 minutes without holding onto something although I can walk with a cane about 50 feet before resting. Without pain meds and nerve meds and antidepressant it is unbearable. I think you need more pain meds. I use flexeril, celebrex,lyrica, amitriptyline and lasix for water bloating and oxazepam for a sleeping pill. Does a lumbar support help you? I also use a cane getting out of the car and walking and it's terrible waiting for the Dr. have to get up constantly because I can't sit. I wish you luck at the Drs office. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi all

I came back to this site to share my experience that might help to other back pain sufferers like me. This time last year, I was in severe sciatica leg pain due to prolapsed disc between L5-S1. I couldn't stand straight, couldn't walk, couldn't sit, couldn't lie on my back. I could only lie on one side with my legs bent only for a short while. I was all on four for over 2 months and I actually lived and moved around like a dog for a few months.
    I also had accident during MRI scan. I had to get out after 3 mins as I felt like I was electrocuted through my sciatica nerve in my right leg. They tried to stretch my leg which I couldn't stretch due to pain. I couldn't sleep as I had pain all the time. I could only sleep like 2 or 3 hours with the help of morphine.

My orthopedic surgeon said I would have to do the surgery.

My back pain started in Sept 07.
    Pain shoot down to right leg at Oct 07.
    Had MRI in Nov 07.
    Dec 07, Jan 08 and Feb 08 struggling with the pain. depressed and couldn't decide whether I should do surgery or not.

within those months,I looked everywhere online where I could find info about back pain. In the end, I chose to try physio first .

I bought a book from my physiotherapist called " TREAT YOUR OWN BACK " by Robin McKenzie.

I did the exercises little by little as I could with the help of ice pack.
    It took me 8 months ( til Oct 08) to become completely pain free. I am still doing that exercises for my back and I would recommend for anyone who have problems with prolapsed, herniated, bulged disc.

As you may know, sitting is not good for ppl with back problem. Try not to sit longer than 30 mins.

So all I want to say from my point of view is that don't jump to the conclusion to have surgery because of the pain.
    Surgery should be considered as the last option after you have tried other options and your conditions doesn't improve. You also need patience. Your pain won't go away in a few days.

So I wish you all the best for your back pain.

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more about my experience.

Good luck!!
    anpn23

• Hi I can tell you the herbs I have taken for my back

Devils claw
    comfrey
    gotu kola
    antiinflammatory, connective tissue repair, tissue growth, nerve health amongst other actions. taken after surgery.

dandelion root
    turmeric
    cinnamon
    liver health and antiinflammatory, to aid the metabolism of pharmaceuticals and surgery drugs.

valerian, vervain, cayenne, ginger. nerve and muscle herbs.

My suggestion is to find a good medical herbalist and see them, I would pick someone who prescribes mediherb or metagenics products.

While my pain had at times has been severe, the most of my discomfort was pins and needles, muscle weakness adn loss of reflexes, and numbness due to where my disc herniated, and the DDD pain was minimised by not doing any activity, I am also a vegan / vegetarian so my diet is very antiinflammatory. I also used tissue salt minerals and other vitamin and minerals.

It would also Pay to research any contraindications with CAM to your current medications.

If I see a client I spend a couple of hours with them, I take a detailed health history and have them fill out a comprehensive questionaire, do physical tests and then send them away with a few tasks then in a couple of weeks they come back and I have planned a treatment programme with them and their goals in mind. I have to do a few hours work to analise and plan. Then we implement things over the next few visits.

Hope this can shed light on how CAM is a whole life style thing. Herbs can be great but getting the advice from someone trained is better than buying off the shelf and finding it doesnt help what you thought it would.

• That's awesome!! Congratulations!!

Cheri
  • I am new to this site but I am so glad I found it! Finally I have found a group that can understand.

I had L4-L5 infusion in April 2007. It went well and it did help alot. The only problem was when I sat for an extended amount of time (like 8 hours at work) I could feel the hardware...this started happening right after I went back to work. I went to the surgeon and he said I could remove the hardware after a year. Well, I waited almost 2 years since my job was getting eliminated and I didn't want to be on disability when it was my chance to get transferred to a new position. I had the hardware removed Feb 2009. I seemed to be healing fine until about a month afterwards and woke up to FIRE in my lower back. It felt like the incision inside was ripped open...but, outside looked fine. I had an MRI and was told there was fluid and I just needed to rest. Well, I rested about 6 weeks and no change. My Surgeon then referred me to a Pain Dr.

The PM dr started me in PT and on pain patches and continue Lortab (which I don't use much since it does not help with the pain it just makes me not care as much). I did the PT for a month and they said I had a ton of scar tissue and tried to work it out as well as strengthening exercises. It was not helping so th PM dr gave me cortisine shots and continue PT. I did it another month and no improvement. Then the PM dr gave me an epdidural...2 days later I had to go get a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) since my work needed something proving to them I couldn't sit. The FCE showed I can only sit a maximum of 30 min. But, I guess I overdid it since the next 4 days I was in bed all day! I went to the PM dr again and he gave me another Epidural since he said sometime it takes a series of shots before it works.

I have numbness in all my toes. I feel like electric shocks are going down my legs when I turn to the side or bend over and I feel like I have a huge boulder starting below my waist and into the top of my rear when I am sitting, standing and walking...It isa little better when I am reclining on the couch and that's where I am most of the day unless I am in bed.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis 4 years ago but I have it under control with anti-inflamatory meds amd Remicaid infusions.

My PM dr gave me a prescription for 50 mg Lyrica 2X a day today but I have not filled it yet. My father was just on it and it made him seem like he was so loopy it was ridiculous and I am scared of it. He was on it for shingles.

My dr mentioned SCS ot pain pump as my next options if the injections do not help.

Can anybody give me some advise on which would be the better choice and what medicine might be better than Lyrica?

Thanks for any help.

Lisa
  • I hope you try Lyrica for yourself to see if it helps you. The first few weeks for me I felt really tired and dozy. I was bloated from it though and still am on 150mg/day. It helped with the leg numbness and tingling and pain but I'm on Cymbalta which seems to being helping moreso with the small 150mg Lyrica. The epidurals I had helped also but still have weakness & burning & numbness. I also take other meds for pain like ms contin, muscle relaxant and something to help sleep. Keep looking for 2nd & 3rd NeuroSurgeon opinions as well as PM Drs. But truly a Dr. may have several meds to try but it's best for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. It sounds like you've been through so much already. I hope you find some relief. I always have my infrared platinum heating pad on my back mainly and legs and I recommend anyone in pain to try one. Take care Lisa and let us know what helps most for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Charry thanks for the quick response.

I definitely would like to get more opinions but it is hard since I am having such a hard time with getting my disabilty from my work extended. They just don't get it! I hope after they get todays PM dr notes they approve it. After I get it approved I will feel more comfortable getting more opinions.

I am leaning towards starting the Lyrica since my family is very aware how it affected my father and if they see it happening to me then I can try something new. He could not drive and would fall asleep talking to you...It was bad! It did give him relief but he could not function.

I will have to get me a heating pad like you have since I do not have one like that. I do take Zantaflex (sp) to help me sleep at night and I do think it helps.

Are you able to work? I am so afraid I will not be able to go back to work and I only have 5 more years til I can retire.

Thanks again for the advise.

Lisa
  • Hiya >:D< i am so sorry for you pain i do know how you feel :''( You have done a good job of describing the pain, i do feel this too :? Tell the doctor exactly how you have told us ;) , write it down and take it with you if you have to :? Keep us posted on your progress :D

Angie >:D< :H
  • I'm 5 weeks post-op with a return in the last 3 days of the pain I had before surgery ( stabbing pain in the rear, shooting pain down leg and numbness is the foot). WTF is going on? I've so much on this forum and gained so much knowledge. Is this temporary from the nerve damage? Or did a reherniation occur? My doc is on vac til next week, so I won't know what's going on for a another 5 or 6 days. Any ideas?
advertisement