Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Fusion v. Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement

CMCCM Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I searched for posts about cervical artificial disc replacement surgery. The the few posts I found were by people who were scheduled to surgery, but they never posted a follow-up. Can someone who has had cervical artificial disc replacement please tell me about their experience, or point me to an existing forum posting? Thanks!

• Hi,
    I was scheduled to have an artificial disk at level C 4/5 and one fusion, but when they tried to place it in, it wouldn't fit. My doctor said it was too big for me. He did tell me ahead of time that this could happen, being the size of it, they don't fit everybody.
    In my case it was actually better not to get one because I have a lot of arthritis at that level and he said the metal rubbing against it would of irritated it, so I got a two level fusion instead.
    I know this isn't much information on it but I thought I'd share this with you anyway.
  • kimmyg,

Thank you for replying. That is the very first I've ever heard about the size of the artificial disc being an issue. I never even thought about the size. You would think they would have different sizes. I guess not.

• Hi CM,

I was also supposed to have a hybrid surgery (one artificial disc and one fusion) at C5/6 and C6/7. Like Kimmyg, my vertebral bones were too narrow and the smallest disc was too big. There is an entire site devoted to ADR recovery stories, etc.. try www.adrsupport.org. I would have been hugely in favor of two ADRs except my C6/7 facet joint was too trashed to not have issues. Facet issues are contraindicated for ADR surgery.

Hope this helps,