Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery is 1/7/09

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I'm another January surgery! Wednesday can't come quickly enough. I've been up for a while this morning due to pain. It's such an awful feeling waking up all night and being barely able to get out of bed. I'm realizing that laying down makes it worse and am wondering if once I get home after surgery I might want to sleep more upright.
Anyway, I'm a newbie! I can't believe I just found this site after going through my issue for almost 2 years.

I have a ruptured and herniated disc at L5-S1. I've been through PT, Chiro, Accupuncture, TENS and Muscle Stim units, and 8 different injections - facet and regular epidurals (by the way, the did help a lot in the beginning but only for about a month and they stopped working last April 2008).

I finally got fed up with pain this past summer 2008 and realized that I could not continue to live like this and on these type of strong pain meds for the rest of my life (gradually increasing Loratab, then Kadian, and now Oxycontin Extended 40 mg with Loratab 10/325 five times a day).

I visited with 4 different surgeons to get opinions and have finally settled on one I'm really happy with (Dr. LaVerne Lovell in Memphis). I'm having TLIF in 2 more days! I'm very nervous about the post-op pain and dealing with my family. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter - I don't want to let her down since mommy won't be much fun for a while! But, I do feel hopeful that maybe I can start living a normal life again in a few months. I've been under the knife 4 times before (other, random things like appendectomy, fractured femur from a car accident, etc). My parents are coming from out of town to help out beginning tomorrow.

So anyway, cheers to all the other January people undergoing surgery. I'm happy to "meet" you all and will look forward to a lot of laptop time post surgery.

Memphis, TN
38 yr old
DDD, ruptured and herniated disc at L5-S1
TLIF scheduled for 1/7/2009

• Teressa,

You definitely sound like you are ready. I just had an ALIF L4-L5. It is not as major as a lot of the people here who have had multiple procedures but I will give you my input. I lived with Low back, waist, butt, hip, groin, and leg pain for 4 years until I could not get out of bed. Finally went in and did a Discogram and decided it was time. The surgery was the best decision I have ever made. I know that some people would disagree and that they have had bad experiences but I am pain free from the day of surgery. Now when I say pain free I should clarify. I do have pain in the back but it is slight and is right at the point of the procedure. The only other discomfort I feel is from the incision which I will take. I feel like a brand new person. I have seen a noticeable change in my attitude and my mood. I am very happy and I hope that your procedure turns out as good as mine. Good luck!
  • Hi Teressa,

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery. Sounds like you have done your homework and are ready for your surgery. Be sure that your daughter knows she will need to be gentle with you and cannot expect to be picked up, etc.

Also, have it in your mind that this surgery will not be like anything else you have had. This is a BIG surgery and the recovery is long. You will need to learn patience as you go through recovery, as some times you will take several steps back for every one step forward! But hopefully it will provide relief from pain and you will think it was all worth it.

I'll be thinking about you on your big day!
  • Welcome to Spine Health!! I'm also an L5-S1 back patient. I sent you a private message!

Take care,