Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any relief from epidural injections?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I went to an orthopedist today about my lumbar stenosis. I was hoping that he would offer the x-stop as an option, but he is insistent that I see a pain management doc for epidural injections. I've done quite a bit of reading and haven't really read anything positive about the injections. It seems most folks get relief for a few weeks at the most. Has anyone had success with the injections, any long term relief?

• I think the Drs want to try conservative treatment first to see if that helps your pain. I've had 3 epidurals and I've had relief of numbness in my foot and alot of tingling and pain was relieved about 80%. I'm still ok and the last injection was Dec.6 However for some people it does not relieve the backpain. I have severe backpain. If there's no improvement after the 1st they usually won't do a second. There are risks involved as with any procedure or surgery and be aware of them before you sign the consent. I had a positive experience after, they were a little painful though. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It's good that you are doing some research, and I agree with Charry and the comment about docs being conservative first. Epidurals are at least worth a try. They help me a little bit, but I don't find the relief worth the down time I have in getting them.
    That's not the case with everyone, though. One the good side, if you try them and they do work, great. If you try them and they don't work the doc should offer some other options. If not, find a new doc.
    One thing I am learning about all of this PM is that each doc has a different approach and if the doc you are seeing isn't about offering options find a new one. There are many options as you will see here at Spine Health and knowing they are out should be helpful as you try to find something that helps you.

Be Brave, Be persistent!