Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well it's inevitable:( Prodisc or PLIF for L4-L5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just found you guys!
subject line says it all pretty much.
i also have some mild DDD in L3-L4 & L5-S1.

need to decide which way to go.
pros, cons, do's, don't's, etc.

TIA for any responses.

ps-how do i turn on email notification to these threads?

• Welcome to SH, Mr Scary (are you really?)! First, some logistics, when you get to this index page, on top, about the middle you see, "My Inbox". if you click on, you get to see if there are any messages for you. If somebody wants to send you a private message, they click on "Send PM" under your name (this is invisible to you).

Now as far as medical support, on the index page of "Back surgery and Neck surgery", on the top are "stickies", starting with "Post Op musts", look that up, it has a list with everything you may need after surgery. Check out the other stickies as well, lot of good and interesting advise there. Should you have any other questions, just post a new thread, like the one you did here. This is helpful, especially if you have specific questions.

Let us know some details about your surgery, like when are you scheduled?

Good luck to you, and hang around, you'll get a lot of support and good suggestions here.

• Thanx Kin for the response. i'll do some stickie checkin' tonight.

i guess my only real question is this talk/controversy regarding the Prodisc 'slippin' becoming life threatening.
    i like the idea and the concept of the ADR, but don't need anything more life threatening then necs.

i can't seem to find any studies or info on failure rates or what kind of 'extreme' activities would cause the failure.

Surgery is tentatively scheduled for 1/19/08 or the following Monday.

tx again for the response.

ps-no, i'm not 'to' 'Scary'! :)

• I had an ENDOSKELETON brand device with fusion at L4/L5 7 weeks ago. I woke up without any back pain just incisional pain. I walked so many times around the hospital wing I thought I was wearing a path. I went home the next day and got better everyday after. I believe the reason some manufacturers devices come loose is that they are used as stand alone devices. As far as "extreme activities" I would think contact sports like hockey, football, soccer etc. would be out. I was told by my surgeon I could ride snowmobile and ride my motorcycle when I am released from care. I really think his device is the best since it has features the other don't. Check out ENDOSKELETON at titan-spine .com if you care to. Good Luck
  • Pika,

Thanx so much for the response, and congrats on your procedure! I will check out that device and website.

continued best of luck to you!

• I have not been told about this from my Dr. I am having ADR on 1-20 I think they are using pro disk brand but i am not really sure.,
  • Lisa,

good luck on the 20th!!

Met with my primary for my pre-op stuff and after meeting with him i think i've finally decided to go with the Prodisc. i think it's gonna be the best route for me and my situation. surgery is either 1/19 or 1/26.

thanx again all for the replies!

ps-still can't figure out on this site how to turn 'instant email notification' on when someone replies to my thread or one i'm subscribed to. any ideas or will this format just not do it???

• I haven't checked it to be sure, but if you go to My Account (at the top of the page, in blue), there should be an option there to turn on email notification, if it's available.

I am also considering Pro-Disc at L4/L5 with fusion at L5/S1. It's either that or fusion at both levels. But I am still really undecided, and nervous about the prospect of surgery at all. The earliest I will have surgery (unless something happens) is April, and I may put it off even longer.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to hearing how you are doing once you have it done.