Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results T-spine--update on Pain and QUESTIONS???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey all,

I got the results of my T-spine MRI. As I suspected there was othing going on in there other then my scoliosis which is considered mild and the hemangioma that is at T-7.
There were no disc herniations and the marrow was unremarkabel which I think meens that they could not see it...not sure...

The only thing that I wonder about is this...I have ywo hemangioma on my liver and I am supposed to have them CT'd ever couple years to make sure they are ot getting any bigger. So what is to say that the one on my T-spine is not getting any larger and how come they did not give a measurement of the hemangioma on the report?

Some peoples reports have measurments on them and somehow it seems it would be important to know if it is bigger or not...Although I guess since they did compare the old MRI and the New one if it were bigger then I am assuming they would state that inthe report, but id does make me wonder.

So This is where I am at now...

I went to the first Pool PT yesterday. I did not have a huge pain flare this morning like I would after the other type of therapy so this is good news...I think I will be able to continue with the therapy which is something I am really wanting to not have a need medically to gove it up.

I will see the PM on Thursday and hope that he will be able to palpate the area of burning and feel recreate the symptoms of pain and come up with a plan of action to try and treat the pain.

At this time I feel this bad burning pain is what keeps me from getting more active...

I am now a few days past the 4 month mark from my two level ACDF C 4-6. Yes I hae neck pain still, but it is not the same pain it was before the surgery in Sept. Before surgery it was burning numb and tingly arm weakness among some other types of pain...
Now it is more soreness, stiff ness, muscle aches etc.

I feel if I did not have the burning in between the shoulder blades....well a bit lower actually, I could signifigantly reduce the amount of pain meds I take...

Also I am awaiting a call from the Pain Psychologist to get an apppointment...
I know he was on vacation so hopefully he will call soon or I wil have to leave a new message.

Does anyone out there suffer from this???
Did you have an ACDF and have this pain before surgery and still again after your surgery??
What types of things have you tried to deal with this pain?
Did or do you have medical tests that show no disc problems in that throacic spine as I do?

What else might this be? Myofacial pain???
I thought Myofacial pain was more of a surface type pain and this feels somewhat deep in the tissues???

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and supporting me!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    can sometimes be very similar. I had ACDF on C5/C6 and C6/C7.
    The lower cervical disc created burning stabbing pain at the base of my neck and at my shoulder blades and slightly below.
    My thoracic discs create pain at the shoulder blades down to the middle of my back. So basically from T1 to T4.( I have not had thoracic surgery) I think the difference I noticed with the cervical situation vs thoracic was that the cervical will also radiate up my shoulder and along side my neck.
    Water therapy has been one of the two best things I've done for both of these situations. However, I must be careful not to do too much upper body work out in the pool (use of paddles and other resistance devices). When I do that, I can flare up either cervical or thoracic or both. I concentrate on walking and stretching, which in the long run helps with everything else.

What has your doctor talked to you about regarding your situation?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't have nothing major going on in the thoracic or cervical spine, just disc bulges and mild DDD. All my major problems are lumbar. I do have a hemangioma on L2 and they left it alone after my fusion. Did they ever say it could be causing a problem, like pressing on a nerve? Back pain can be so perplexing and vague, and difficult to pin point. Hopefully the PM doc can find out what's going on. Maybe he will change your medication to help out with this flare up you're having. Let us know how you do and get well soon. :)
  • I've only had lower back stuff, but my father had a 2 level ACDF and he has been worse since his surgery, with problems similar to yours. Two things have been identified:

- The plate has shifted at one level, causing exascerbated pain
    - Using lidocain patches on his shoulder blades helps the burning pain you describe.

Try talking to your PM about the patches...and KEEP SCREAMING until someone gives you an answer you're comfortable with!

Best of luck,
    Mike in Los Gatos.
  • Hey all,
    Well I will see my PM tomorrow and will be bringing in the T-spine MRI'sfrom Oct 2007, and the one from the other day (last friday).
    I also will have a response from the PA at the Surgeons office stating that I am allowed at this time to have some trigger points or ESI's if needed.

I would like to just skip the trigger pointsand get the ESI.

My next visit with my Ortho spine surgeon is on the 15th so maybe by then I will have had anESI or something and made a bit of progress.

Ron,my Pool therapy was great and did not flare me up to badly! That was great and I felt as though this will allow me to continue and make some progress. I do understand what your saying about the upper body stuff! i know if I start messing with that type of stuff I am sure to have a huge flare up that will put me down a few days...
    In fact I was glad the Therapist decided to not have me use a noodle under my armpits in the pool and we used the waist belt instead. Had I usedthe Noodle indermy arms I would have flared for sure... It really was a much better experience.

Meydey--thanks so much for your support! One of the things on the list to discuss with my PM is my pain meds...I almost feel as though the muscle relaxers help the most! But I know that valium is not something he really would like to see me on long term but we will see what he suggests.. Also The pharmacy had went from one brand of a certain pain med I take to another brand which I felt worked better! Then the next month they switched back to the other brand. I was in th grocery where the pharmacy is located and stopped in to ask if it was possible for my script to be filled with the brand that I felt was more beneficial to me...they said no problem and made a note to make sure and have enough of that particular brand to fill my scripts tomorrow!

balon, Mike-- I lived in Ben Lomand in 1992-1996! I lovedit there...the trees!!!Then I moved to where i am now...and it is more desert like although Lake Tahoe is only 30 miles away!
    My ACDF surgery I feel went real well so I am so sorry about your Dad. Iwill send out a few prayers and hope that he will get more relief!
    My surgery took away the arm weaknessand numbnessright away. I no longer have burning in my neck on a constant basis. Only every now and again and it does not really last for very long!
    I have had this burning in the thoracic spine since my accident and it has been investigated with MRI's, X-rays and nothing has been found other then what I mentioned above.
    But the pain there is persistent! I do not feel the ACDF surgery made it any worse, but I do feel thatI now noticeit much more because the neck pain is less signifigant.

Well tomorrow morning I will see My PM Doc!
    I hope that we can try to come up with some ways to calm that area down so that I can become a bit more physical because my weight just keeps creeping up....
    I would love to be physical enough to go to the Gym and at least walk on the treadmill, and do the eliptical machine minus the arm movements....they make those machines with and without the arm movement part...and the stair stepper.
    My surgeon has said once before that after a month of PT I can go ahead and do those three things, but first I want him to make sure this thoracic stuff and the pain there is not a signal of some type of damage being causesed in there....

If I am cleared to do so then I will give it a try and see what heppens...

So eceryone...thanks again for you input and I will update after my PM appointment tomorrow!
  • Don't know if this helps you - but cervical and thoracic pain here. No surgeries, just radiofr - cervical worked great not so in thoracic. I know the burning, stabbing pain you talked about and when it gets into the shoulder blades, it feels like someone is twisting my muscles towards the center of my spine. lots of fun.

my pm docs are sending me to some long time doc who takes the mystery cases, if i get any resolve we shall share.

You are not alone in this 'mysterious' thoracic pain of burn and stab

Does yours go into your sternum?
This discussion has been closed.