Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery Tomorrow {01/09/2009}

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. I will be going in for a 2-level ACDF surgery at C5/6 and C6/7 and I have a few questions I would like to ask. I am scheduled for the 2-level ACDF on January 9th,2009 and following the ACDF surgery and recovery I will have to have lumbar fusion surgery performed at L5-S1. Both areas are causing me a great deal of pain. My question is "Has anyone had herniated discs that required fusions in the cervical and lumbar area and the same time? Were there certain tasks that you performed to help your cervical area but those same tasks caused problems for your lumbar area or vice versa? For example - A recliner or wedge pillow can be great for comfort after the ACDF but will it cause me misery at the lumbar area. I am basically attempting to care for one area without causing more pain and damage to the other. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

• You should do fine having them both at different times.
    I would have a cervical fusion in a flash again if needed. Not all would agree on that as we all have different chemical makeups and pain thresholds.
    As for the recliner. I used it for the first 2days home after the ACDF but found it very hard to put the foot part down. So I migrated to the couch. With lots of pillows.
    2 under my head. 1 under each arm, 1 under my knees sometimes 2 depending on the day. I kept everything I needed on the coffee table so I did not have to search for it. Also I was able to grab onto the table to log roll off the couch and to get up. They will teach you all that in the hospital.

The recliner for lumber well you will hear alot of different opinions. I personally could not even with a pillow behind my back. It was just to uncomfortable. Plus alot of Drs rules are sitting for 15 min total every hour. Usually they want you laying flat and just walking for the first few weeks, until your check up and some restrictions are lifted.

My ACDF was in 04 then I had a lumbar fusion in 07 and 08. That was due to a different unrelated injury.
    But yes there has been people who have had surgery needed at the same time or a few weeks between each other.

I wish you the best of luck. Any questions that arise out of the ordinary after you get home, contact your Dr asap and let them know the situation. As we are not xray machines and certainly not drs. If I was well I don't think I would be uncomfy right now I would be laying on a tropical Island beach!! =))

Hang in there!!!
    Terri O:)