Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve gliding causes irritated nerves

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I've recently been going to a physical therapist, since nothing else seems to been working. Although I had physical therapy after my first laminectomy, I didn't want to go again after my recent surgery (L5-S1 laminectomy a second time)- since I'm already familiar with (and have been doing) all the exercises.

I've been doing the regular P.T. exercises that help push a disc back in place (arching my back while lying down). However, online I found nerve stretching exercises that I thought I would also try. So I did... from June until now... everyday - not one day missed. My nerve pain is still severe. So my new physical therapist has mentioned stopping the nerve stretching exercises altogether, since they could actually be irritating the affected nerve when they are pulled/stretched.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It makes sense to me, but from what I understood, the nerve pulling/stretching exercises were supposed to help, not hurt your nerve. So, now I've eliminated them and am only doing the arching exercise for the next week. My p.t. wants to see if the stretching was actually causing my nerve to be worse than as if I had never done it.

All comments very welcome - just looking for some hope, like everyone else here. :)

• I would think if the nerve is damaged the stretches may be making the nerve flare up because of the damage.I'm not sure of that though just a different perspective for you to think of.
  • I've had an ulnar nerve issue since I had surgery way back when on my hand. I have never heard of nerve stretching and it being part of any therapy. I can't imagine stretching my irritated nerve. The more I move it the worse it gets. So your therapy has me scratching my head. :? I'll have to go look that one up.
  • had never heard of nerve stretching done at home. If the nerves were damaged, though, I can't imagine that would be a good time to stretch them. Now, I do think making sure you move the nerves (rotating body parts, etc.) to make sure scar tissue doesn't scar them down is good, but actual stretching of the nerves? That's something I would run by the doctor, I think.

Good news, though, if that was causing continued nerve pain, maybe stopping it will bring you some relief?

• cherish,
    The whole reason I started the nerve stretching was because of just that... keeping the nerves mobile. I've read a few web-sites that were from doctor's stating that nerve mobilization exercises would help keep the nerve from being tied down by scar. The web-sites described how to do the exercises, so I did them. I could actually feel the nerve being stretched - it hurt, but felt good, because the pain would kindof go away for awhile.

Now my p.t. has me doing an extension that arches my back so hard that I have tingling from that. So, I'm confused. Her exercise hurts me. Mine hurts me. What the heck do I do? I've got exercises I did when I had my first surgery, 20 years ago; maybe I'll just do those, since they don't hurt me. I'm at a loss. :''(

• i am new to this board today...but i see a PHYSIOtherapist and he introduced me to nerve glides and i LOVE them...they hurt like heck, but i feel sooooooooooo much better for the rest of the day....i acutallu have my husband doing them and can tell a difference if i skip a day...
  • Could you PLEASE tell me what you do for these exercises? Maybe I was doing totally different ones... who knows. Or maybe I was just pushing too hard or doing them wrong. I know what you mean by hurting like heck and then feeling great afterwards. I wonder if what we're doing is actually stretching the stuff that's attached to the nerve so it can move around a little better.