Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
Had L-3 &L2 microdisectomy, pt before that I feel like when I lean back against something that I have a brick in my back , it hurts for me to sit back against anything because my back starts burning and I feel all sorts of weird things like rocks. My sciatica has gotten worse went from pain in one leg and hip to both and its almost unbearable. Hurting around my incision after almost 7 weeks post op. does anyone else have these feelings?

• Your surgeon should be told about these feelings. I did not have lumbar surgery so I cannot help with the pain part.

I am now 5 weeks post from a cervical operation and I still feel a lump behind my incision, hard, painful knots in several of my arm muscles and shoulder, and occasional numbness and tingling in my hands in the morning when I wake up. I've been told it's all normal by my surgeon's staff. I will actually see him next week and see what he has to say after examining me-but I was told before the operation that there are no guarantees, unfortunately.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Thanks for the reply, maybe it could be scar tissue but it sure doesnt feel normal, I went back to work 3 days ago and work at a desk, I find sitting makes my pain worse. I have been trying to stand up to do my work.
  • the chair that you sit on with most pressure on your shins? It's supposed to be ergonomic-at least it was thought that way a few years ago-it bypasses the majority of pressure placed on the buttocks and puts your spin in a proper alignement.

ALso if your chair may nee more cushioning or be higer or lower. It it cuts off the blood flow to your legs, that will make you legs hurt too. I had to replace a chair because it made my legs ache after even a few hours.

Good luck!
  • L3/L4 in December 07. My pain got much, much worse before it got better. I could not even lift my right leg for about 4 months. Hang in there and hope that it gets better. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome to Spine Health.Sorry about you pain.That being said,
    you must your doctor NOW.It's not normal to be in pain 7 wks
    after Micro.I was in this kind of pain 4 wks after my Micro.
    For more than 4 wks my Doc was telling me to be patient and that I've overdone it.At the end,it turned out my disk was infected.It all went down hill for me.After a year I am still recovering.Infected spine hurts like hell,never stops to hurt.
    I needed a PCA pump to keep me from crying.Spend eight days in hospital.It just made my life miserable.
    Call your doc,and don't let anybody dismiss your pain.Demand that they do blood test,MRI test,whatever they need to rule out infection.Mine showed ONLY on the MRI.I didn't want this post to sound scary,but better scary than sorry.Don't waist any time.I hope you feel better.Good luck.

• I told my doctor and he dismissed it as nerve pain, I am burning all the way up my back, I never have a minutes peace. He asked me if I was depressed and anyone that has these problems knows how you feel down sometimes because you dont feel normal anymore. I told him I am always a happy person until my horse threw me and caused all of this mess.I am so glad I found this forum finally someone who understands what it feels like. My boss said how can anyone be in that much pain!
  • There really is no normal time limit to suffer pain after surgery. We are all so different and heal at such different rates that nobody can tell you what is and is not normal for you. I absolutely suffered severe pain for a minimum of 6 months, My microD was radical (most of my disc removed) but I could not even lift my right leg at all for a solid 4 months. I have seen people that have been back to normal after just a few weeks but I have also seen people like you and I that suffered much, much longer. Just be careful about thinking that you should or should not feel pain the same length of time as anybody else. No two are alike when it comes to healing. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress,
  • Hi people, I just got up Saturday morning I wonder each and every day what is in store for me today, I fear of losing my husband becuase I no longer feel like being a wife, so many thing things run thru my mind, I just want to be normal again I want to feel the wind in my hair as I race across to the finish line after a barrel race or just be able to play with my children and not be in fear of a back spasm.I pray each and every day for some kind of change that lets me know that this wont last forever.I look at people out here with disability so much worse than mine and wonder where did they find the courage to go on??
  • I had L4/5 discectomy in Nov 08. It's really helped to relieve the sciatic pain. Due to my MRI I was also aware of disc prolapses at other levels, and lots of degenerative issues in my spine. I am starting to wonder which of those are the cause of some pain I've been feeling in my back and legs recently. Or maybe it is still post-op pain... it's hard to know. I'm only about 8 weeks post op so hopefully things will improve in the next few months.

Some things I have found helpful to relieve pain in my own situation is to get moving as much (and as safely) as possible. Walking and swimming are good. I've also found a fantastic physio who has given me some exercises and stretches to work on and these have been hugely beneficial.

I have that wish every day - to just feel normal again.

Good luck :)
  • Yes its hard to know if its from the surgery and I like you have so many other issues going on , and I think your right the more you move the better you feel, I have layed on the couch all day today and I am feeling really stiff right now, that was the wrong thing to do. I hope you feel better soon and God bless
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    There is an identical thread, same author, almost exact same discussions going on in : pain after microdisectomy

Only one of the two threads should remain open. Since its the Pain after microdisectomy and NOT microdiscetomy
    I would think the Pain after.....

But, I will let the author decide which one should go
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.