Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The new guy..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions

just wanted to finaly say hello to everyone..

so even though this is my first post, i have been a long time reader of these boards; i have picked up so much helpful information from threads posted by others, that i decided i should jump right in and pursue some answers to questions i have about what i am going through..

i am 36, self employed small business owner with a wonderful wife and four beautiful children. grew up in a small farm town, at 15 i got this jones to be a boxer and ended up in the big city training with famous fighters i never thought i would ever meet- much less become friends with.. was a professional fighter for 12 years, working side jobs as a personal trainer during the day, and making a paycheck as a bouncer at night. i ran a boxing gym for almost a decade and put in 8 solid years at a biker bar on mainstreet in daytona beach. was also a member of an elite security team that traveled the nation providing event security for the big bike rallys; from daytonaa to myrtle beach, and even as far away as laconia and Sturgis. i retired from bouncing same time i wallked away from the figt game.. to finish up a college degree that i would never use, and went into business for myself

have been dealing with a multitude of old injuries, but hurt my back terribly in 2003 - which came back to haunt me in the first months of 2008. since then , i have been involved in pain management, which felt almosst like a miraacle for the first 12-16 weeks or so.. now i am exploring any and all other options, from acupunture to pilates. i work in a very physical trade, though i feel that my family and i do live a fairly charmed life at the present - i know im perhaps only one small misstep away from being seriously injured and unable to continue in the line of work im in right now..

which, unfortunately, could mean having evertything on the line; from our kids educations at a private school to making our house payment..

so there is a lot of pressure on me to stay somewhat healthy, atleast healthy enough to continue the high level of daily physical activity i participate in currently to make a living for my family..

hope to get to know you all, i may even being able to contribute to these forums, as time passes and i have more information and personal experience to draw from.

thanks for having me..

Otis Driftwood

• That's rough when you've had an injury and now are suffering from chronic pain. What did your MRI show? We're here to support you. Nice to meet you and see you around the posts. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine Health :H We're glad to have you here and hope that we can be helpful to you. What kind of back problems do you have and what treatments have you been through?
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I think you are on the right track as far as doing everything you can to stay as healthy as you can for as long as possible! I think it's great what you have been able to accomplish and I hope that you have done something to try and insure your family is taken care of should your injuries require you to take some down time. Maybe a business partner or something like that depending on the type of business you now have.

I found that Yoga is awesome for keeping the core strong and flexible. Not sure about Pilates because I've never tried it. I know for me the key was finding someone who understands rehab and strengthening the body instead of just going all out for fitness. Fitness is great if you have a sound structure, but if there's a chink in the wall, you gotta learn how to become strong while protecting that.

Since you did a lot of boxing and bike riding, I'm going to assume that you've possibly developed some sort of c-spine issues? I found that for those, I have had to be the most careful when it comes to not overdeveloping certain muscles and causing the problem to become worse. PT has been a fantastic source of information on what to do and not do for me!

I love acupuncture! Let me know what you think of it if you do give it a try.

Sorry to ramble. Glad you're here.

• :H So you go to Sturgis and Daytona? Man I'm jealous. The horse you see me sitting on is temporary transportation until I get over surgery so that I can put on a helmet and ride a Harley. I wish I had the opportunity to go back to Sept. 14th. The 15th may forever have changed my life. I'm now post surgery and looking at alternative therapy for shoulders spasms and to keep 3 buldging discs in my back just that buldging and nothing more. So we can learn together. These boards are full of great information so happy reading and pleased to meet you!
  • We are so glad that you are here! I will look forward to reading more of your posts and getting to know you.
  • Welcome to Spine Health!! I'm glad you are still able to work - you have had quite the life experiences! Don't be a stranger - keep us posted on how you're doing!!

• A Rob Zombie fan. Welcome.....Otis.
  • you can come up to Mass and ride on our Harley..