Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sever cord compression C2 - C6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Spinal Stenosis
my husband has no pain, no discomfort except his knees are week at times. Some times nothing happens, than once or twice a day his knee will buckle

doctors scare us to do surgery fearing paralysis. Wonder if Laser is a safer alternative. Wonder if we should just leave it alone until he gets worse. if there is no pain, why fix it. Your thoughts please as soon as possible

I hate the risk of surgery, because my husband is completely pain free and fully mobil

• But the fear of paralysis drove me to have surgery immediately after finding my cord compression and suffering through myelopathy. I didn't want to drop any more cups or feel like I was falling out of chairs. I was advised the longer I waited the more damage I could be doing to my spine. I wanted to get back to "normal". I'm still not completely there since having surgery but my left hand and leg are more cooperative now. Surgery is a big decision especially if you aren't feeling any pain it's an almost impossible leap to make in our brains. I thought of mine as a long term issue instead of just focusing on that particular day and how I might be feeling. Welcome to Spine Health.
  • Hi,
    First let me say welcome to spine-health. There is a lot of information here to read and take in. A four level fusion is a rather large surgery. Did they say what was causing his knees to buckle. What lead them to look in the cervical spine. What are they trying to accomplish with surgery or what should the results be. What type of bone will they be using doing this surgery. If it were me faced with the surgery I would get a second opinion and possible a third. Once you do fusion surgery there is no turning back and the spine is forever changed. Anyway welcome to spine-health and look forward to reading more of you post.
  • I agree with tamtam on her statement "there is no turning back" statement. Two neurosurgeons that I consulted with would not recommend surgery without severe symptoms. From your post, it sounds like your hubby is having relatively minor symptoms? There are some good and some bad surgery outcomes. While I'm sure spineys have more risk of paralysis, I've had two docs tell me that risk is over rated by docs. I may eventually need surgery, but I still believe it is a last resort.