Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Voltaren Gel

Marti_142MMarti_142 Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Has anyone else tried this? It just came out this past summer, I guess. And though I had heard of the NSAID, Voltaren, I never knew they made a topical version. The pitch is that the anti-inflamatory medicine goes directly into the inflamed joints. But, my Rheumy dr told me about it and gave me samples when I was there last week.

It is a topical like gel/cream, you just rub it in. And right away it feels cool and slightly numbing, but the decrease in my hand pain after a couple days was amazing! It works on hands, knees, ankles, etc, joints that are close to the skin surface.

The down side is it is expensive and too new to be covered by my insurance. But I am going to fill the prescrition she gave me and pay cash for it.

If anyone has had any experience with it or has a chance to try it out,let me know.
advertisement

Comments

• :) my husband has athritis in his hands really bad. they swell up and get so sore. this sounds like it might help. he has no insurance at all so that might stop it right there. i hope to get him to a doctor about this!! thank you for the heads up. Jenny :)
  • In both Denmark and Great Britain ( and I presume most of Europe) Voltaren Gel and Ibuprofen creme and Gel are quite common place, It can be bought over the counter and via prescription. Its been about, for 8 years or so and the large supermarkets have their own brands now, it can be found on the shelves near ice packs and muscle rub cremes, in the sports injury section.

I have found it very effective on my 8 inch incision site once it was fully healed , but still sore and swollen following my lumbar fusion op and later when I had hip bursitis it took the edge off the soreness and aching there.
    My husband has a repetetive movement injury to his shoulder and using Voltaren Gel helps wonders with that when applied before bedtime.
    I occasionally apply it to my knees after I have walked about too much. I have short hamstrings due to my lumbar injury and it often takes the dull ache away and numbs them so that I can fall asleep.

Some of the cremes have other additives over here, such as lavender oil, which is a natural homeopathic relaxant.(though never to be used in pregnancy !) & Eucaliptus oil which is cooling and a godsend for new strains and sprains.
    Do remember to wash your hands well after use, as you may inadvertantly touch your eyes or mouth, even in your sleep.

It has the advantage of having the soothing, painkilling effect of the NSAID without the negative effects of oral NSAIDs, like stomach upsets and constipation.
    Over here it costs the equivelent of about 6$ for 50 grams.

I wonder if there is any way of searching through the cremes covered by your insurance, to try to see if there is Ibuprofen or Voltaren creme in there somewhere, as there are many different brands out there with different names , but essentially the same ingredients .

Best Wishes Viking :)))
  • Hello Marty and all,

Sure sounds like the Voltaren gel is worth a try. Thanks!!

RichT
  • i have TOS and i find that eumavate gel {voltarol} helps
    STRAKER
  • I've had good luck with this on REALLY bad days. I have to be really careful about oral NSAIDs (they lower my blood sugar so fast I randomly pass out), but this has been a lifesaver on really bad days for my hands!!

I like the smell....it's like roses. I agree though, it's SUPER expensive.

DO you know if you can buy this OTC in Australia?? I know if you can in GB, you usually can there. I have a friend down there...wonder if it would be cheaper to have her buy it and send it. My insurance doesn't cover it, and I refuse to pay cash for it.

I hate how the FDA is such a pain about this stuff sometimes!
  • Hi All,

I was googling the Voltaren gel to see what the options were, as I have not acutally bought any yet. I am still using up the samples from the Rheumy dr. I used sparingly and only when hand pain was really bad.

I believe one of the on-line pahrmacies that i was looking at was in Australia. I wondered if that would be cheaper than paying cash here for scrip Voltaren Gel. I am just not sure about ordering on-line meds from another country. With my luck, the feds would show up at my door and arrest me for an FDA violation, or something. LOL!

Yeah, leave it to our good old FDA, always looking out for our benefit, right! A really useful med, with less side affects than the oral versions of NSAIDs we have here, OTC for God-knows how long in other countries, and we can only get a super-expensive presription version.

But this is the one med that actually helps my hands. The prednisone, MTX, Celebrex and tramadol help the pain in my spine, shoulders, etc. But not much help for my hands. I think the hand surgeon is my next option there.

You all take care. Hugs and prayers, marti

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.