Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L3,L4,L5 & Bone graft (Help)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI to all! My name is Joseph, and I was involved in a car crash with a tractor trailer approximately 2 years 2 months ago. In this accident I recieved several traumatic injuries. The most serious being a ruptured spleen, and fractured spine, (L3,L4). Thankfully the spleen stopped bleeding on it,s own after 4 days, wich the doctors then proceeded with the surgery on my spine. I had L3, L4, AND L5 fused together with a bone graft from my back hip bone and 6 pedicle screws with 2 titanium bars.The incision was to be originally 4 or 5 inches, but due to more internal damagethat was found once cut open , the incision ended up being exactly 12 inches. What I want to ask is about 6 months after the surgery I started sitting up on my couch rather than laying down all the time due to pain. This is when I noticed that after about 15,or 20 minutes of sitting I get a very strong pain on my tail bone as if I got hit really hard there.I also noticed that as time passed, I now get this pain within a few minutes of sitting.I also noticed that it's not just the tail bone but the bones on either side of it. I also have been getting like a pain and pulling in my left buttocks mostly and somewhat on the right buttocks as well.that radiates to the back of my left thigh then to behind the knee. I also have intense pain in my lower back on both sides where the fusion was done. By the way, I can feel the heads of the screws just under my skin, is this normal. I also wanted to ask if the hardware they put is permanent or do I need to go for surgery again in 5,10 years again to replace or adjust the hardware that's there now. By the way I still need a walker when I go out of the house but I get by with a cane in the house or if I go Within a couple of hundred meters.

• I'm a 12 incher also. 2 rods and 10 screws. I can not feel my screws. My hardware will stay in unless there is a problem such as breakage. I have some pain on my right side but not severe enough yet for an operation.

Good Luck to you.

• Gosh that was a bad crash.

You say you are just over 2 yrs since your fusion, so when was the last time you saw the Dr or had an X-ray or CT?
    Sounds like it could be time even just to ease your mind that nothing is wrong.
    The tailbone could simply be your coxxyx (spelling?) is out and that is not unusual but it shouldn't cause your other symptons.

I am also really suprised to hear that you are still using a walker or cane. Did you have PT?

I suggest you play it safe and see the dr again.
    Blessings Sara O:)