Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scar tissue?

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First has anyone gone back in for surgery to remove scar tissue say after spinal fusion surgey? Or other Back surgery

I know when I went in last march it took Dr. over an Hour to get through the scar tissue in my back, before he could start the fusion surgery I never had any reason or was even told that there might be scar tissue build up prior to surgery. I can see post surgery but prior I was unaware. It evedently was so built up that it was blocking out all pain, which I guess was kind of nice but at the same time I was actually causing more damage without even knowing it. Dr. said it was lucky I decided to have surgery when I did without delaying it longer.

• I had scar tissue removed during my fusion, after my Microdiscectomy. They didn't tell me about it, before or after. I found out about it by reading my O.R. report. Interesting stuff!
  • Lo,
    How did the surgery to remove scar tissue work out for you? Did it come back??

• ...my NS removed a lot of epidural scar tissue from my 1 & 2nd surgeries when he did my fusion...also said some was caused by all the injections I had prior to my fusion to try to help relieve the pain (& to satisfy the insurance co's edict that "all conservative measures" be tried b4 approving a fusion...

I know there's more growing back in there (can't be helped) & when I see my NS on Wed & he looks @ the x-rays, maybe he can tell me if some of the recurring problems w/ my scitica (which was gone for awhile) could be caused by more epidural scarring, returning...

I guess you can't prevent it, but some people do "make" more than others do....from what I;ve read, surgery to specifically remove the fibrosis (as opposed to doc removing it during a fusion or other procedure) isn't too successful, as it just grows back.

If he approves me for some scar tissue release massage, I;ve heard that can help. But I certainly can FEEL it building up in there again....a tight, pulling sensation below the L4/5 area & could be the cause of some nerve root compression ( he suggested that in Oct) hence the return of my foot/leg numbness, tingling, etc.

Anyone w/ other thoughts? This seems to be a universal problem after any spine surgery...and the more procedures you have, the more you "produce".

• scar tissue removal after fusion. It helped my hip and butt pain by freeing the L5 and S1 nerve roots but unfortunately the numbing down the leg and foot and the foot pain didn't change.
  • I've heard of surgeons trying to prevent scar tissue formation by packing area with fat from butt area of patient. I know that the more surgeries, the more likely more scar tissue and that scar tissue removal is likely to cause more and worse scar tissue.

I've been told that my PM doc would inject Kenalog(steroid) into scar tissue to help calm it down. MY PM will not do lysis as he believes it makes scar tissue come back worse. There are some interesting posts from ZachBack where he describes scar tissue being attacked with steroids, some kind of patch applied, then the patient taking oral asthma steroids(advair) for a month afterwards in an attempt to thwart scar tissue coming back. I don't remember if Zach posted in chronic pain or pain mgmt or where, but I do remember reading the posts.
  • The scar tissue from the first surgery was pressing on my L5 nerve root, within a month after the surgery. It's been almost 4 months since my fusion and the scar tissue removal, and my Sciatica is gone for the first time in 2 years. It slowly started to dissipate. So no, we don't think it's coming back. Generally scar tissue forms over a certain period of time, and it doesn't increase as time goes on. It doesn't decrease, either. It forms, and then it's there. So looks like it was QUITE the success for me! :)
  • Wish I had had the surgeon who packed the area with fat from the butt area. I probably had enough for 3 or 4 of us. =)) =))