Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have any tips for using the computer

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
while laying completely flat on your back? He is in too much pain to sit up and use it.

The goal is to not bend or twist at all. My husband has four broken vertebrae but he wants to begin using the computer again.

Please share your suggestions with us! We would really apprecitate it!

• Hi, I'm sorry that your husband is in so much pain. I can't sit at a computer desk either and thankfully we have a custom set up. I prop myself with 3 pillows while I lay on my back in bed with a pillow under the knees. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and the tv is the monitor. It's the only way for me to surf the web comfortably and keep up with my fellow spinys.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    I am not familiar with any of them. Normally, I would not post another URL other than Spine-Health. But when there is a subject that is not covered here, I will go outside.

**Please excuse me IF any of the following have sales pitches in them. I did an initial scan and did not see anything, just how things can work in theory

Heres another one

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I never seen that before. It's really cool.
  • that is a great set up. Good thing to know in case the need arises.
  • have a new recliner that lays flat as a bed - BEST brand, BackRest tag was on it. Anyway, I then have an adjustable laptop caddy/desk (if you search Frontgate with those search words you will see an example, although you can find them other places). This pulls right up over the arm on the chair.

I spend my days almost fully reclined and I stay on the laptop all day if I want. It works great because distraction is one of our greatest weapons to deal with this pain we have.

Good luck - I hope you find something that works. Does he have to stay in the bed?

• DomesticAdvocate said:
    while laying completely flat on your back? He is in too much pain to sit up and use it.

The goal is to not bend or twist at all. My husband has four broken vertebrae but he wants to begin using the computer again.

Please share your suggestions with us! We would really apprecitate it!
    My daughter has severe ME and is bed-bound. She still manages to do a lot of ME research on her laptop, using one of these. Highly recommended.
  • I had surgery 5 weeks ago and purchased a computer table that has the ability to be adjusted to angle that works while laying down. I got a laptop prior to surgery cause I knew I wouoldnt be able to sit at a desk and also knew that TV would get way to boring.Anyway, the stand is avialable at walgreens for about 25.00. On rollers so it is almost like hospital bed type but much handier. Good Luck. It has worked well for me.
  • I wish that I had a laptop instead of a regular PC. When we purchased our latest computer I brought this up to my husband many times but he wanted the larger screen. Big mistake! Trying to sit at a desk while using it is like a torture treatment, I have to get up every few minutes and sit down on the sofa to rest my back. In the beginning it was actually comfortable and my desk chair was the most comfortable chair in the house for me.But after my 6'5" 240pd husband has sat in the chair on a regular basis it's not so comfy anymore. The info that's been given by the posters on this thread has been very helrful and has given me a lot of new ideas that I was unaware of before. I'm going to buy a laptop soon and this info will be priceless. Thank you everyone for the tips!

May your husband heal and be back on his feet soon. I wish you both the best!
  • I find it less painful to lay on my stomach than my back. I've been working from home the last 6 months using this setup. I have a massage table with the round donut on the one end. I set up my laptop on a stand, looking through the donut hole and working. I can operate the keyboard & mouse. I also lay a single-bed sheet on the table & 2 towels on the donut hole, one to lay my chin & one for my forehead. It may sound weird but it works for me. And if I need to do my exercises or stretches, I take a break from working & do them.

• Thank you all for the replies!

This is all incredibly helpful. He is trying to sit up for longer periods to keep his lower back muscles from giving him so much pain. The doctor had wanted him to lay flat for a time without a pillow...

This discussion has been closed.