Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is an odd new development...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This may have nothing to do with my microdiscectomy (Nov.14, 08)but...in the past few days I've had intermittent periods of not being able to flex or extend my foot without strong, sharp pain. It will be there for a few minutes, then all of a sudden, it's gone..only to come back again in a few minutes. It can get to the level that I can barely walk. Could this be the "dead foot" I've heard about? I assumed that meant that the foot would fall asleep for no reason. Although I do have some numbness left in my foot this is PAIN that seems to be deep in my ankle...I thought maybe I injured it through PT, but why would it come and go like that...One more odd occurrence in a long series of them...thanks for the insight!

• ebkteach,

It's not unlikely that you will experience some new pain after surgery. I was told it was due to the nerves regenerating after being compressed for so long. I also had a deep, sharp pain in my upper thigh that would flare up when I extended my left leg fully (i.e. walking full stride or flexing while lying down). That pain was noticeable for the first four weeks, but has since died.

When is your next doctor appt? Be sure to bring that up, or better yet, give them a call and solicit their advice. Sorry I'm not much help but I wanted to wish you luck!!

• I was just telling my hubby earlier today that my ankle feels like I injured it, like a light sprain. It comes & goes but it is the same side as my nerve injury.
    I brushed it off as Fibromyalgia pain due to the cold but I suppose it could be related to the surgery :/
  • That's really interesting, that is exactly how I would describe the pain. I'm going to check with my PT tomorrow. Maybe it's time for an increase of Neurontin (currently on 900mg/day). I'll keep you posted if I find out anything.
  • I am really curious now, can't wait to hear back on what PT has to say.
  • I posted something similar a few days ago but no one really responded because not everyone has suffered from drop foot or dead foot as you called it. I dont know and wouldnt claim to know if you have that but I would check with your doctor or PT they will know more and can check symptoms of that. I had it for 15 months and it was reversed after surger, basically foot is no longer dropped. I was doing really great then I started PT and we got more aggresive to strengthen my foot and shin muscles and BAM I started having pain in my foot. Now the pain comes in quick stabbing short bursts that make it barley tolerable to walk. Mine does not reside in my ankle but more on top of my foot, arch and the big toe. Ive tested for gout but that wasn't the case even though all symptoms seemed to be gout.
    I do have a bruise on my big toe which has suddenly developed over the last few days, and I think I would know with as painful as my foot is if I whacked it on something. I do know that I have tremendous amounts of scar tissue in the arch of my foot. They dug at it in PT and it sounded like twigs snapping as it broke up, not pleasant as it hurt like the devil. So we are looking not just for nerve damage but the possibility of a foot injury as I still have some slight numbness. Keep us posted. I see my NS tommorow about this foot issue and will post to you what I find out as I will be presenting to him things such as the scar tissue, fallen arches, tarsal tunnel, as well as nerve pain. I want to cover the spectrum well. Good luck I know its the most frustrating pain because its so isolated to one area and its hard to figure out if its an injury or related to surgery. I will post after my NS visit and let you all know what he says and maybe it will make sense to someone else who is dealing with this. Thanks for sharing I was starting to feel as though I was crazy and alone with this bizzare burning pain.
  • had pain in my ankle since I first injured my back in 2001. It sounds similar to yours in that it comes and goes. Sometimes I can walk through it other times I am limping badly.
    Sometimes it feels like it is broken or badly sprained and the pain is usually on the outside of the ankle.
    I was told this is refered pain from the back. This area is still a bit numb, not as bad as before fusion but more numb to the touch.
    I really dont worry about it anymore as i know it goes away and isn't long term but I do mention it to the Dr as it is a sympton.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I get random stabbing pain in my knee sometimes, no ryhme or reason to it it hurts like hell then goes away as random as it appears.Sorry but i've not found or have I heard or any way to rid of it.