Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone- new here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I am 32 years old and have had severe knee and leg pain for over a year. I have been on crutches for a year following a knee dislocation in Dec 2007. I have had two knee surgeries and physio until I am blue in the face yet I am still on crutches and developed back pain in augsut/sept last year.
I have had an emg and ncv which showed the follwing results-
1.normal terminal latencies in all tested nerves
2 normal motor nerve conduction velocities in all tested nerves
3. decreased amplitudes of cmap's in right sciatic nerve
4. unobtainable snaps in bilateral superficial peroneal nerves
5. slow sensory nerve conduction velocities in the right sural nerve
6.decreased amplitudes of snaps in right sural nerve

1. Increased insertional activities in all tested limb muscles
2.On rest, no denervation potentials in all tested limb muscles
3. On mild contraction, there were polyphasic high amplitude long duration muaps in the right gc muscles. Increased polyphasia in right TA, VL, PL and GMed muscles
4.On maximal contraction, reduced interference patterns were observed in all tested muscles

I then had a Spinal MRI which showed the following
1. central and bilateral recess stenosis L5-S1, due to degenerative spondylolisthesis, degenerative bulging disc and facet osteoarthritis
2.facet osteoarthritis l2-3, L3-4 and L4-5
3. severe paraspinal muscular atrophy

I am living abroad at the moment and am moving back to the UK to try to recover. What treatments can I expect for these problems???

I will do anything to recover and at the moment I am not taking anything or have any treatment apart from physiotherapy on my knee and back strengthing exercises to do at home. the docs here are pretty ineffective/not bothered it seems I am in increasing pain and a bit
worried about my mobility which is becoming more restricted I feel as time goes on. I am interested in ay opinions or useful information about these problems, I am just beginning to read the boards here so am hopng to find out a lot through them too!!

Hope to hear from some of you very soon and look forward to getting to know you

Thank-you Allie

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Unfortunately we can not provide medical advice based on patient reports (MRI,CT Scans, EMG,etc) We are not formerly trained in these areas and could be doing you a grave injustice if we provided information that may be untrue or even hurtful.

From what you have posted, it seems to be related to your lower part and not directly from you back spinal area. Whenever I read an MRI:

Mild - Should be easy to treat
    Perhaps so home exercise (approved) and over the counter
    medications (again approved) could help

Medium - Some problems, but with the help of some medications and form of formal exercise this should help

Depending on where they are referring to, this could require attention. Just as in any situation, severe
    is not good

In terms of what to expect for treatments, that really depends on how your doctor view your situation and what their action plan will be
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hiya >:D< Welcome to Spine health :) I hope you enjoy this site as much as we do. :? Part of the healing, is excepting the illness, once you have done that you can deal with it. >:D< You need to relax, because being tense will increase your pain and stress can make it worse. :S I will look forward to chatting with you O:)

Angie :H
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! =D> we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot help you much with your particular problem but i am wondering if perhaps rest and more rest might help your back. :? being away from home and traveling can put extra stresses on our already fragile backs. please check the top of the forum under "Conditions" and "Treatments" for some info on back issues. of course a doctor is the best person to help you with your pain issues. :-C good luck as you search for pain relief. =D> Jenny :)
  • ScottM, i see this is your first post and i want to welcome you as well. :H we have a "Neck Pain" forum you might want to check into. if you decide surgery could be your solution, please be sure and get atleast a second if not a third opinion. the more confirmation you have the better. please have a look around and make yourself at home. i might suggest you talk to your doctor about using something a bit stronger. i use 60mg of time released morphine daily plus breakthrough meds and my back pain is held pretty well in check each day. please be sure and take advantage of the treatments your pm might have to offer you. surgery should be your last resort. good luck! i am alittle over 50 myself and know first hand, as you do, what that means health wise. see you around! Jenny :)
  • Hi,

I'm sorry, I did not intend to post this as a reply to this thread, but rather as a new thread which I have. Sorry.

I've been dealing with a neck problem that has progessively gotten worse over a number of years.

Back in '98, I had a herniated disc at c-5/c-6. I had a discectomy which eliminated the pain.

But several years later, I began having a pain in my neck that started out to occur infrequently and became more frequent. A couple of years ago, the pain became constant.

On 8/29/06, I had an MRI done, which reported: Anterior fusion at C5-6 with difuse bony proliferation narrowing the spinal canal at these levels. In addition, there is marked posterior spondylosis centrally and to the right of midline producing cord effacement.

On 1/2/09, I had a second MRI. It states that at the level C6-C7, there is fairly prominent diffuse degenerative annular bulging and bilateral unconvertebral joint hypertrophy. The findings are asymmetrically prominent to the right, and there is a large disc osteophyte complex on the right at C6-C7 which narrows the right foramen and right lateral recess.

I saw a neurosurgeon after the first MRI and was told his only treatment would be a discectomy at C6-C7 and remove the bone spur. He recommended to avoid this as removing another disc would probably cause more problems in the future. He sent me to pain management.

I've been going to PM since September of '06. I started out with taking Naproxen and had a Epideral Nerve block. I was still in pain, but it was manageable.

By the summer of '07, it was getting increasingly painful. Most physical activities that involved stress to my neck made it much worse. The PM doc put me on Vicodin HP four times a day which seemed to help quite a bit.

But a year later the Vicodin didn't seem to work so well, so I was given Percocet 10/325. This would work well for about two hours after I took it and then the effectiveness would decrease until I took the next dose.

The PM doc then prescribed Kadian 20 mg (Morphine Sulfate time release) along with the Percocets. This worked well for a short time. Now it doesn't control all the pain. I'm up to 30 mg Kadian now. One thing that amazes me is that if I took 10 mg Percocet before I started taking narcotics, I would be so spaced out. Now I cannot even notice and side effects.

The next step is for the PM doc to perform a RFI treatment on the nerve root.

My pain seems to be less on the weekend as I can relax and move around and change positions. I frequently wake up with neck pain and it is definately worse after sitting all day at my job at the computer. Lately, it has been an endurance to make it through the day. Driving seems to make it worse.

I've been working from home, which seems to help. I am a software engineer and all my team members are in other parts of the country/world. There is one project manager/supervisor on my team that is a tyrant. My manager in CA is afraid of her and lets her get her way. She thinks she is the only one that should be allowed to work from home and will cause trouble for me. The added stress she causes me makes my neck problem much worse. I am so afraid of what she is capable of. She will stop at nothing. I've seen and heard what she was allowed to do to others. She is not a nice person, rather cruel. I can either work alone at home or work alone at work. I asked the PM doc for a note saying I should work from home, but he said I would have to have a functional capacity evaluation done first. I've got one scheduled. I've never had one.

At this point, I don't know if I should consider having the discectomy or continue with PM. I feel good enough on weekends to continue as I am, but dealing with the stress she causes me makes it hard to deal with the pain. My HR department labelled the team member as a bully. She doesn't like men and is never satified. She doesn't want me to have surgery though, because I would be out of work for too long.

I am afraid of having surgery since that will mean two discs in a row will be gone and who knows what problems will happen later. I just turned 51, so I have a lot more time to wear out.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am already on an anti-depressant and have been for many years and I'm getting more and more depressed.

Hope I didn't ramble on too long!

• Allie, we have lots of folks here in the UK and maybe they will be able to steer you in the right direction to find proper medical care.

Scott, I agree with what your doc advised. It really does put more pressure on the other discs once you start fusing or removing them. Is it possible to get a stronger opiate based narcotic? I am on opiates and have found through lots of research that they do not damage your organs like some of the other pain killers. It is very unfortunate that we will build up a tolerance to the meds and need to keep upping the dose. I have had a great deal of success with RF of my lumbar area and would highly recommend trying it to anyone. If you are lucky enough to get good relief from this procedure it will last as long as 12-18 months.(it takes that much time for the nerves to regenerate) At which time you have the procedure done again.

Good luck to you both and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • Well I now know that I should not have been so happy to find this site as I was when I discovered it.
    I just thought that some people who had similar tests or results may have been able to shed a bit of light on things, I realie you are not doctors. I have a neurosurgeon appointment booked on my return to the UK. I was simply asking for some advice or reassurance or what others in similar situations may have been going through, maybe I didnt express this very well
    Maybe the moderators can remove this thread and my post now as it seems to have been taken over- which is fine but the sort of suggestions people have made to Scott is the type of information I was looking for, I thought giving all possible information was suggested, that is just what I did... I am sorry if this upsets everyone but hope you understand that due to having a language barrier and being so far away from home sites like this can be a lifeline of support- I will perhaps try to find an alternative site.
    Thanks for you suggestions if you did post positively in reply to my message.
  • allie, please do not be upset about what has been posted here. :? noone wants anything but to help you and make you feel better if we can. :X i don't think anyone is upset with you!!! it is hard to know exactly what someone is saying over the net!! anyway, we welcome you even more and hope you find yourself at home.. >:D< Jenny :D