Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success/Failure Definitions: as part of: New styles in Spinal surgery may not always be the best

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Again, this is an offshoot of:
New styles in Spinal surgery may not always be the best

The original topic contained several posts regarding members success or failures after surgery. I believe these posts deserve their own topic, but it is still related to the main thread
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• There in lies a big problem though, because everyone has a different definition of success.

My definition of success, might be someone else's definition of failure.

It boils down to things as simple as our up bringing, our life experiences, our length of suffering, our type of suffering, our expectations... The list is long.

So when you try to create a definition of success, you really can't. It's not black and white. As someone else mentioned earlier, it's very gray.

Doctors develop their own definition of success, based on their experiences over time and their own personal expectations.

The artist creates what they feel is a work of art, and everyone else develops their own opinion.

You could have a think tank work on this for years, and I really believe they will come up without a cut and dry answer.

"C"

"Treat the patient ... not the Xray"

• We can look at Websters for the definition of success and the definiton of surgery, blend them together and still get virtually no clear answer. I can only account for what I feel is a success or not in my own life.
    Lets say...everyone is the same age, height, weight, and in identically good physical health all with the same back injury.
    All of us have a pro bono cutting edge surgery by the best surgeon. Each surgery is performed precisely the same, on the exact same symptoms and discs.
    ALL of us have the same restrictions, diet, rest, excersise program, bracing mechanism, and pain relief. Everything is the same for everyone.
    At one year, I guarantee the results would Bell curve and that is where you will find the closest thing to what success really is.

Success is in the mind of the person who undergoes this surgery, and in the eyes of the surgeon who performed it. Even then the definition of success will vary.

How do you define it with so many variables.

Success is in one's own mind, in my opinion. I know it is for me.

Erica

27 years old
    PLIF multi level fusion December 2, 2008
    Disc herneation from L4 to S1,
    Drop Foot of left foot, with numbness from knee to big toe
    Degenerataive Disc Disease in Lumbar region, signs of stenosis from L3 to S1
    Buldge extending 1.3 cm at L4

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060

What is one mans treasure is anothers poison

Not every person looks at things the same way. How do yo measure success? Is it about the hours in a day you are almost pain free? Is it the way you can walk?, Is it the way you can sleep??

Everyone has their own values about what success means to them. I know what I want out of life in the terms of medically spinal impaired. But is that the same for you?

For me success has been relatively simple. Maybe not at first when I was in my 30's, but now closing in on 60, I realize what is important to me. I couldnt give a rats' bottom if I could walk faster than I do know, or get up in the morning like every normal person.

I know I have the love of my wife and of my children. I couldn't ask for more

Ron DiLauro

Ron's Story
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Spine-Health FAQs

rdilauro@gmail.com
    The Mod Squad

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only.
    This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical facts or rules

• Success is in ones own mind, and the results of thier life. As well as what they consider to be a successful life outside of this spine or neck issue.
    If we put a stagnant definition on this surgery then we have a set standard, something we can expect. But what happens when we see the "official" definiton of a succesful surgery and we dont fall under its "x" criteria.
    Life is more than my spine, my surgery, my surgeon, insurance company. I dont want a defined life, or I would be in a box of "x" standards and expectations.

27 years old

• My brother had surgery 25 years ago after shattering 3 vertabrae from a 3 story fall. He walks with a minor limp and just recently started using lyrica and amitriptyline which is helping him. But he's got a rod and screws in his spine and back then he must've had a great Surgeon for him not to have any pain until now and alot may be due to being overweight. So although technology is advancing, what they did back then was a miracle for him and of course me. I'm thankful he had no difficulties after surgery. He's hoping that I won't have to get surgery. I'll know more next week...

L5-S1 herniated disc with tear with disc material in contact with S-1 nerve. 3 Epidurals. Facet joint injections and last epidural on Dec. 6. DDD C5-C7 osteoarthritis hyperextension of cervical spine. Off work 10 months due to pain.
    MS Contin,Flexeril,celebrex,Lyrica,wellbutrin,lasix,amitriptyli
    ne,Oxazepam
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/14700-self-affirmations/

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Hello Rich, and all interested parties,

I have been following this most interesting thread, but I did not contribute to it, as most of you expressed some common thoughts so eloquently. The reason I am writing now is because Rich is asking for personal definitions of SUCCESS as a result of surgery. Here is why I think my three-level lumbar fusion 8 1/2 months ago was a success:

1. I woke up from surgery without feeling any pain, and when the second day they removed my morphine pump I was sill not feeling any pain;

2. I had a speedy (a relative term) recovery without any setbacks,

3. Within two weeks I began attending social function (carefully selecting a seat to sit on);

4. One morning when I got out of bed, I realized that I don't have the morning stiffness I felt the last few years, even before I started to experienced the other symptoms that made me seek medical help;

5. By six weeks I walked at least an 1 1/2 total every day without any pain;

6. At my five-month checkup the surgeon discharged me, told me I am almost completely fused;

7. Presently, I don't feel any pain, or numbness, I can walk fast, I drive, go to my regular exercise class, do just about anything I want to do.

Now all these being said, I know that maybe down the road I could encounter some problems, but until then I live a full and pain-free life. And next month I fly alone to the island of Kaua'i!!!

I wish the same for every one of you, from the bottom of my heart!

Kin (without pain)

SF Peninsula CA resident
    Decompression and L3-S1 fusion with instrumentation, 5/1/08

• I think it's awesome that your brother has done so well for so many years. I think he illustrates another part of this too...

Do people feel more pain these days because they feel they are expected to, or is it for real? Is pain more of a real beast today because treating it is broadcast through every form of media and talked about on a daily basis?

I don't think that people have kept pain hidden just because it wasn't a typical topic of conversation as much as it is now. So what changed? Why have we become the world that feels more pain?

Is it because as a whole, there's a greater desire to jump to having surgery too soon? What is the world's fascination with having surgery? Have we become our own worst enemy in the attempt to make things better and take "the easy way out"?

I applaud the members on this forum who day in and day out let everyone else know, that they have not had surgery. It seems to me that too many people try and wear their surgery as a "badge" of sorts. They have the most elaborate "been there done that got the t-shirt" on the rack.

So in essence Rich, it seems we are driving medicine to develop more, different, newer techniques. Someone who decides they have to have surgery, but the surgeons don't agree. What happens next? New technique? Hmm...

• RichT wrote:

Bruce 1/16/09 19:28 - Bruce talks about "the way we carry out our recovery after surgery must have a major impact on the overall success of surgery" "key factor in my successful fusion outcome" Bruce has in his mind his definition what his "successful fusion outcome" means to him. Is it the same as his doctor's definition? And I really don't know what Bruce means by those terms.

Rich, this is how I see it: The medical community (yes, I am generalising, I know), certainly the majority of spine surgeons, traditionally define success in regard to how successful the "surgery" was, e.g. was the disc herniation removed, has the bone fully fused. They do not consider the overall well being of the patient. I regard success in terms of how the patient is feeling after surgery AND recovery - specifically:

1. Have pain levels been removed or significantly reduced
    2. Has the patients overall quality of life improved
    3. Has the risk of the condition worsening or coming back, been removed or significantly reduced by the surgery.

There are plenty of cases where 100% bone fusion has occurred in a very short time after a fusion surgery, but the patients overall quality of life has improved.

In regard to measuring my own success, while bone fusion was reassuring to know, the bottom line was has my quality of life improved, and I (not my surgeon) used the Oswestry Disability Index (ODI) to measure that.

Severe Degenerative Disk Disease and severe bilateral foraminal stenosis at L5-S1. Laminectomy & fusion in Dec 2006. Hardware removed due to issues, in July 2007. Now living a back pain free life.

View my story
    View my mountain climbing experience

Useful Resources
    View Pain Management Procedures
    View Suicide Help

Important: My comments here and comments from other members reflect personal opinions only. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted in these forums without seeking proper medical advice from a qualified doctor. Please, ALWAYS check with your personal physician before taking any action regarding your health!

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hello Everyone,

FANTASTIC!!! I went "click" on Post comment, then my wife and I went out to dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant. And upon returning, BINGO eight responses regarding "SUCCESSFUL surgery". I enjoyed and value each one of your posts. Thanks much.

Tomorrow I will be encouraging our SH spinal doctors to express their thoughts here.

Then, I will try to step back out of the forest to see the trees so to speak.

What a warm feeling it is to FEEL the bond of mutal friendship developing.

YES, we are at a ROUND TABLE, not a long table.!!!!

Take care. Sleep well.

RichT

• Wonderful thread. My hats off to all who have contributed.

I had my 360, 5 level fusion done in early April of 2007. I wore a hard shelled brace for several months. I had 50 plus PT sessions. At my November visit to my surgeon's office, he told me I was fully fused and all my hardware was in place. There was nothing more he needed to do. I was a successful outcome.

My problem was, I didn't feel like a successful outcome. I still had great difficulty walking any distance, standing, sleeping, and on and on. My definition of a successful outcome was to feel like I did before my back problems began in Febuary of 2006.

I languished in pain and in self doubt another six months until I began to ignore the pain, push through the pain. I figured, "I have nothing to lose". I was right. Today I have a goal. I set this goal this past November, one year after my surgeon said I was a success. My goal is to walk 5 days a week, no matter what the weather or what my schedule is. I have met my goal. I have walked 4 miles a day, 5 days a week, sometimes 6, through wind, rain, snow, ice and frigid temps.

I still have daily pain, but its managible. I am better than I was and happy with the outcome. I am a success.

Dick

Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal, couldn't run a school with such a bad back.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Dick great post, I believe your're describing a pygmalion. A self-fulfilling prophecy of success. If you believe you will be successful, then you will be successful.
    Jay

L5-S1 annular tear and bulge, L3-L4-L5-S1 facet joint syndrome. Multiple MRIs, EMG & nerve velocity tests. ESI's, facet injections, medial branch block injections, RF rhizotomy L3-L4-L5.

• Posted on: Sun, 01/18/2009 - 16:37 #45 RichT

NOTE: This and several of the following posts have ben cut and pasted from Ron's original topic. It seemed best to have all the "Success" posts together. Sorry if this isn't perfect.

The original post number and username are to the right of the date/time.

Hello Everyone,

In reading through the posts on this topic, and posts throughout the BackSurgery and Neck Surgery forum there are two words that to me need to be defined. These words are -

SUCCESSFUL Surgery

In Ron's first post he states "before surgery, shouldnt a patient be given the facts regarding success rates" There is that word again - SUCCESS. How is that defined by doctors and perceived by patients?

Bruce 1/16/09 19:28 - Bruce talks about "the way we carry out our recovery after surgery must have a major impact on the overall success of surgery" "key factor in my successful fusion outcome" Bruce has in his mind his definition what his "successful fusion outcome" means to him. Is it the same as his doctor's definition? And I really don't know what Bruce means by those terms.

"It would be good to see a study of long term surgical success versus recovery programs followed by patients after surgery." YES!!!, AND to have the terms "surgical success" defined.

RichT 1/17/09 8:40 - I stated "One of these being fusion surgery. Some "successes", but they seem to be only temporary." If the "successful" surgery is only temporary, then can it be called "successful"?

Lo 1/17/09 18:07 - Lo speaks of surgery success and brings up the subject of differences of success rates by various surgeons. But again, the definiton of the term is missing and it haunts me.

I remember that on one topic the question of - how is a successful surgery defined - came up. Also that perhaps a doctor's definition of success in say a fusion surgery may be that fusion did take place, however, in the mind of the patient the surgery was unsuccessful because the pain was worse after surgery than before.

Oh yes, of course there will be "degrees" of success.

It just really bothers me these two terms "SUCCESSFUL Surgery" when I really don't know what they mean.

Okay everyone - I would like VERY much for each of you to define what SUCCESSFUL surgery means to you.

AND I would be ever so pleased to have the doctors on SH provide their medical definition of SUCCESSFUL surgery here on Ron's topic.

In that way, hopefully all of us can better communicate and understand what each one means by SUCCESSFUL surgery. AND hopefully come to a "common ground" regarding the definition of successful surgery.

Hope you have hung in there and made it this far.

I look forward to your responses. Both Spineys and doctors.

RichT

• Hello C,

I had hoped that we would be able to receive posts from spinal surgeons on this matter. To give "balance" so to speak.

Ron has informed me that having doctors share their thuoghts on a forum is "frowned" upon, due to legal issues, etc. That is most unfortunate. Shut the door to half of the equation and it makes it very difficult for us Spineys to get to understand their perspective. Oh, I haven't given up. I believe this can be approached in a manner which will be acceptable to all.

"So when you try to create a definition of success, you really can't." Perhaps not a "black and white" definition, but surely some broadening of understanding.

"Doctors develop their own definition of success," AND that is precisely the reason we as spineys need to understand their thoughts on this matter. I am very VERY concerned that the two sides, Spineys and doctors, are not communicating on the same wavelenth. THAT is the "barrier" that needs to be torn down.

Think tanks - now there we agree. But I'm not talking about "think tanks", I'm talking about understanding between doctors and Spineys regarding what successful surgery means in all the possible shades of gray.

RichT

For all the threads that now are taking over by RICHT.
    We no longer have the original names that made the post so we can relate to individuals.
    This changing of posts will not continue. While the messages are still there, we have now lost the ability to track a message to a person to better understand what is going on.

Again, I am sorry that this has happened
  • Hello Ron,

Just read my Note at the beginning of my first post here.

That information is still there. I made sure it was.

See the line "Posted on ---- After the date/time is the No. of the post on your original topic, followed by the usersname. It is on every one of the posts.

RichT
  • Go in and edit the posts and quote the originator so even though it is cut and pasted by Rich, it shows that it was written by someone else. For example:
    RichT said:
    Just Read My Note

Hello Ron,

Just read my Note at the beginning of my first post here.

That information is still there. I made sure it was.

See the line "Posted on ---- After the date/time is the No. of the post on your original topic, followed by the usersname. It is on every one of the posts.

RichT
  • So really as success is something that is relative to each of us, then surely it is something that we need to evaluate with the surgeon BEFORE surgery.
    Such as really discussing with the surgeon what outcomes you want and what outcomes are viable depending on your condition being treated, age, lifestyle etc.

For some people a successful surgery means being able to get through the day without pain and to others it is to be able to play tennis and golf again and to hike or ski.

How realistic is your expected outcome?????

So you can see how important it is to
    1) determine what your surgeon calls success and
    2) find out everything you can about what you can do to ensure it happens and follow that to a letter.

Any surgery is not just dependant on the surgeons skills but also the compliance of the patient.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Good Morning Sara,

WOW well stated!!! EVERY word. EXCELLENT thoughts, words of advice and WISDOM. BRAVO!!! Thanks Sara.

Okay Everyone - Do read over Sara's thoughts and advice well. She is so very correct in all she has shared.

It is the beginning of understanding the "success" to expect BEFORE having surgery. It is exactly how the surgeon and patient should communicate in a very realistic manner regarding the "definition" of success to be expected.

Sara, blessings accepted and same back to you.

RichT
  • I had a three level fusion, it will be one year on Feb. 8th. My NS told me at the time of surgery, that "I cannot make you perfect, your back will never be as it was when you were 30 again, BUT I can make the sciatica pain go away". He did.

My definition of a successful surgery is,
    a. That I can walk, (we all took that chance that we could have been crippled from our surgeries)
    b. I definately picked the best Neurosurgeon who has performed many of these surgeries.
    c. My original horrendous sciatica pain is gone.

Is my life normal? No. I've accepted that life is different and always will be due to my surgery. Can I do everything I use to before surgery, no. But I try to see how much I can do. This last summer I rode my ATV, be it on a smooth dirt road, going very slowly over bumps and ruts, BUT I got to do it. I went to Cozumel in December, and went snorkeling, be it AFTER I found out it was more comfortable with a life vest on, keeping my spine straight. I got to go camping numerous times (my passion) and fishing (of course we have a motorhome with an awesome bed, and all the other luxuries.

I guess a "success" is measured by how you approach everyday. If you've accepted your life as being "different", and learn how to deal with it, mentally and physically, you have a success!

There are days when I sit and feel sorry for myself, cause I can't do something like lifting any weight above 20#'s, and I use to be OCD about my home, just can't do it now. And plus I am fortunate enough to have tons of love and support from my husband, friends and family.

So all in all, I'd say my surgery was a success. And I've accepted that I still have a ways to go. I look at each day as a new accomplishment. Just like the other day, I walked up the side hill of our property. (we live in the mountains and have hilly, rocky 3 acres) I remember wanting to walk up that hill, but couldn't... Now I can. It was a huge accomplishment, cause I thought I would NEVER be able to do it.

Be thankfull each day for the small things you have accomplished.
  • Good Morning Lynnsy,

Thank you so VERY much for sharing. For giving us a very thoughtful definiton of "successful surgery" as it relates to you. You have a wonderful doctor who explaned to you the "success" to expect, and he delivered.

You have openly shared with us the things that you can now do since surgery, but also the compromises that you have had to make.

Lynnsy, you told it like it is for you. You have provided the definition of success for you, and given all of us a better understanding.

Thank you so very much. WLCOME to this Round Table!!

Take care.

RichT
  • Where did the original thread go? I guess I'm not looking in the right place.

"C"
  • I am aware that a clinical success is a solid fusion and the medical world can't seem to agree on a criteria to measure this simple (or not) fact...CT, XR?

3 sugeries later "Success" to me means that doctors and patient agree the degree of success. This is almost a conversation that should be had pre-surgery.

An experienced surgeon should be able to make an educated estimate on an individual recovery. What you may look like. I was warned I would highly likely be having more than one surgery in my life.

I had multiple problems and so was well aware that PLIF best attempt may not fully resolve my problems.

SUCCESS to me - Restore some of my pre-bad back days mobility, reduce the pain and the rest is part of the package.
    If a non union doesn't cause pain, whats the problem?

So was mine successful? Hmmm, at present I feel I have just swapped one set of issues for another. I hope that will change as time goes by. But I don't crawl around on my hands and knees anymore and that was most embarressing and humiliating so for the simple things, yes that is better!!

I have learnt to accept my new lifestyle modifications and that was a big part of the fight. Doesn't take my dreams away though and one day maybe.....

Lyndsey - too right what you say about valuing the small things.

• Hello Itsalongwalk,

So nice to "see" you. AND especially all that you have shared in your post.

"I am aware that a clinical success is a solid fusion and the medical world can't seem to agree on a criteria to measure this simple (or not) fact...CT, XR?" AND that Itsalongwalk, is what concerns me greatly. If the fusion "takes" the surgeon will chalk it up to a success and add it to his/her percentage of successes marked on the wall. That solid fusion may or may NOT be a success in reality. If the pain is much less, then yes at least some success. If the pain is the same or greater, then to me the surgery was a FAILURE.

"3 sugeries later "Success" to me means that doctors and patient agree the degree of success. This is almost a conversation that should be had pre-surgery." YES, the patient and doctor MUST discuss this issue before the surgery just as Sara so well stated.

"SUCCESS to me - Restore some of my pre-bad back days mobility, reduce the pain and the rest is part of the package. EXCELLENT!!! A SUPERB definition. Most Spineys would agree I'm sure.

"So was mine successful? Hmmm, at present I feel I have just swapped one set of issues for another." Of course only you can answer that. However, that "Hmmmm" would indicate to me it sure hasn't been highly or perhaps even moderately successful.

I wish you well and hope that with time things will get better for you.

RichT

• a warm "Hmmmm"

=))

How perceptive of you, But I am ever the optimist!

(All that said, I still consider myself lucky...I have the use of my legs, albeit a bit unsteady!)

=))
  • Hello Everyone,

Itsalongwalk brought to mind the "interview" I had with spinal surgeon No. 8.

Of the seven previous surgeons I had "interviewed", No. 8 was far and above the best at taking the time to answer my questions. He also took the time to explain my situation as he saw it from the review of the MRI and X-ray images. Those were positives.

Then he told me I would need to have a 3 and possiblly 4 level spinal fusion. RED Flag!! All that I have read says that the more levels to be fused, the lower the probability of success. That is fairly common knowledge.

Next he told me that when he performs spinal surgery none of his patients EVER has to come back for a second surgery. BIG RED Flag. I think of what Itsalongwalk has been through and many others with subsequent spinal surgeries. It is common knowledge that no matter how careful one may be to not bend, twist, etc. the adjacent non-fused vertebrae are going to be under INCREASED stress.

AND then he had to let me know that a well respected spinal institute in the immediate area was being investigated for improper practices. He wouldn't tell me the name of the institute, but he didn't have to, there is ONLY one large institute in that area. Okay, so I checked out his claim through the state judicial system, etc. His claim was TOTALLY false.

My point - PLEASE everyone be ever so cautious when what the surgeon is telling you SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. For as the saying goes - THEN IT MOST LIKELY IS.

RichT
  • I really like this and think it is SO true...(RichT)

We are INTERVIEWING the doctors!!

I have had only one surgeon, I did have a wee wobble post PLIF number 2 but he restored my confidence in the way he has handled the complications. My ongoing pain was real (sure was) and he was up front about it all.

I actually do not ask too many questions (i don't want / can't deal with no hope answers) so don't ask! Silly maybe.

So, back to interviewing the surgeons, I think this is so valuable and as you will need to trust them it is important to try and make the best choice albeit a bit of a leap of faith.

Red Flags (lol!) - I am amazed to hear of doctors like that in current practice, scarey.
    So RichT - where did you go? Straight out the door I hope?!
    This is a warning to all Members

You can not just Copy/Paste a post and place it somewhere else.

There are several things that need to be done in order to make that happen so it will NOT impact the data base. Only those with proper authorizations can do this so that there will not be follow on problems.

I just went through this thread and EDIT each post to have it properly assigned to the Owner and to get the time correct.

This information is important to the integrity of the database, so just making seemingly innocent changes are wrong. Each post is store and has a counter in the SQL database along with other information. This is standard software database handling. So PLEASE do not use COPY/PASTE as an attempt to reproduce a post. If it is important to do something like that, you should

1- Use the standard QUOTE feature, which will preserve the data base.
    or
    2- Put a request to the Moderator team to do this and then it can be scheduled as a work item

Still this did result in duplicating member signature lines. I could not see investigating the additional time to fix that also.
  • Hello Itsalongwalk,

Glad you like the "INTERVIEWING".

YES, out the door never to return.

Side note: I wanted my X-rays they took of my spine. The receptionist said I could not just have them. That I had to sign them out and return them. I told her "I paid for them they are mine." I picked them up and signed for them. Fat chance they will ever see them again. lol

RichT
    During my first set of lumbar problems way back, I didnt even dream of questioning a doctor. After all they were all high up a pedestal.
    Well, as years gone bye and my value systems changed, I realized that doctors were no different from many other professionals. So why not question them? get estimates, etc to make you feel you have the right one.
    I've been doing that for a while now, but at the same time, I realize that they have the same right in interviewing me.
    When I first started to see my current Pain management doctor, we sat down in her office and we talked for about 40 minutes. I asked questions, she asked questions, I asked procedures, she asked what I expect, I asked, she asked, back and forth. It was because of that initial meeting, I have developed a long trusting relationship with this doctor. I have no qualms in telling her what I feel and what I do not want to do and she has no problem telling me what I have to do. I have total respect and confidence in her. If she told me to do something, I would definitely give it a whirl. If she wanted to have me go for a treatment I would do so. She has been the only doctor I have been able to confide in and open up. So understands my personality weaknesses, she knows my 'bottling up' feelings inside and she knows that when I tell her something its 100% the truth and I feel the same way about her.
    Now that is a doctor!
    Having said all of this, my success is judged so many times on the joint efforts this doctor and I make together that improves my condition
  • Hello Erica,

Whoops, I was hoping to get this "quote" at the end of the current posts. Will need to work on this.

RichT
    wahini202 said:

We can look at Websters for the definition of success and the definiton of surgery, blend them together and still get virtually no clear answer. I can only account for what I feel is a success or not in my own life.
    Lets say...everyone is the same age, height, weight, and in identically good physical health all with the same back injury.
    All of us have a pro bono cutting edge surgery by the best surgeon. Each surgery is performed precisely the same, on the exact same symptoms and discs.
    ALL of us have the same restrictions, diet, rest, excersise program, bracing mechanism, and pain relief. Everything is the same for everyone.
    At one year, I guarantee the results would Bell curve and that is where you will find the closest thing to what success really is.

Success is in the mind of the person who undergoes this surgery, and in the eyes of the surgeon who performed it. Even then the definition of success will vary.

How do you define it with so many variables.

Success is in one's own mind, in my opinion. I know it is for me.

Erica

27 years old

advertisement