Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a question

MargaretMMargaret Posts: 15
~X( Well, for me it feels like a long time although I know other people are worse off than myself. However, here's the question:- should I be doing exercises while the pain is still in my buttock, leg and foot?

I spoke to a dr and he said, "listen to your body". Well, I do listen and it says it's in pain.

At the moment I do some light exercises to strengthen my core muscles in the morning (after I have applied some ice to my back and taken my pain meds.) I do them again in the evening.

I also had a cortisone injection to my buttock but really don't feel much benefit after a week. At first, I thought it was helping but it seems to have worn off.

Any suggestions? Thank you, Marg :)

• That's great advise. However, I do exercize everyday, and it does hurt when I do activities. But my spine trainer always tells me that to get through the pain you have to be in pain. However, there is a limit. If it's killing you to work out or do something, maybe you should take a break? You don't want to hurt yourself. Good luck! :)
  • I have been off work since October and I find I am becoming very frustrated.

I had sciatica about 15 years ago and it disappeared with conservative treatment but this time it doesn't appear to be getting much better.

I decided not to go on vacation with my daughter, mainly because I am not working and don't have the money. I hobble about and stand on one leg to comb my hair or peel my veggies. I have become reluctant to leave the house because of the pain and feel better just staying indoors. I live in Ontario and we have had so much snow that I don't like the feeling of the cold on my body. I have become quite temperature sensitive.

I wonder if I should also look into doing yoga or something else.

Thank you for replying.

Marg O:)
  • Do you have a diagnosis, or at least have some idea what is causing your sciatic pain?

In almost all cases, exercising is better than no movement. Some people find yoga helpful, but you need to modify the poses to take into account your back issues. Many of the positions are not good for certain spinal conditions.

I would suggest continuing what you are doing with your core exercises and try to walk as much as you can. Is there a mall or a large store or something near you where you can walk indoors?
  • That sounds like me standing on one leg to do dishes etc. Do you have L5-S1 herniated disc also? I found the epidurals helpful for the leg pain. Do you have aPain Management Dr? The only thing that I can do is the recumbent stationary bike and slim glider where your back doesn't move much. Have you tried a cane on the opposite side of the affected leg? It's helped me alot. I think water therapy may be helpful through physio. If you live near Variety Village they have a Physiotherapist there. Can you put your diagnosis in your signature history so others will know your diagnosis. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • What kind of exercises are you doing exactly? Were they prescribed by a therapist or are you doing crunches, leg lifts, etc. Just curious, because my p.t. showed me that it can make a big difference in what you do. I do similar - core exercises in the a.m., noon and before bed. The exercises I do do not INCREASE my pain, but they do not decrease it either. My therapist said that she doesn't want my leg pain to increase. If you can do the exercises without making the pain any worse, then you probably arent' hurting yourself. And, yes, to keep moving and strengthening is so much better than not. Do you do "planks" for the core workout? I just learned how to do them, and they are awesome. They don't make my pain go away, but they certainly don't increase it any, so I'm thinking they're quite safe. I feel a lot stronger since doing them and just knowing that I can continue with them makes me feel pretty good.

What is your diagnosis? Have you had MRI's, Myelograms, etc.?

• Hello all, thank you for all your comments and suggestions regarding exercising when in pain..........I have only been doing some gentle situps and arthritis exercises.

I have been given Lyrica by my GP and although I have only taken a couple of doses, it certainly seems to be taking the "edge" off the pain.

I have updated my profile and added my diagnosis, tests, etc.

I look forward to reading all the posts and continue to learn new things every day.

Marg :H
  • I don't know what to do about this Lyrica. At first, when the dr prescribed Lyrica, I took it and it gave me a better sleep. He has since doubled the dose in the hope that I will only need to take it and nothing else as he says that for some people, it gives great relief.

Since doubling the dose, now 50mg daily, I don't feel any benefit at all. Now I don't even get a good sleep. I think my body reacted well at the beginning, for the first few nights but now, it's like it has no effect whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I took it as prescribed 50mg about an hour before bed and I was so sore when laying down that it took me ages before I could get off to sleep. I wakened several times during the night and it simply isn't working for me anymore. My left buttock, leg and foot were aching so much, I ended up half sitting-half lying out of the bed so that I could get comfortable (|:

I feel like an idiot because I told the dr that this was helping.........I guess I need to go back and ask for something else :S

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this? At this point, I am unable to walk much. I can walk for about two minutes outside and then the pain starts again. It just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Thank you in advance......I look forward to any suggestions.

Hugs, Marg
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    From your signature line, I see that you have not had any surgeries as ofyet.. That is good. Exercise, the proper exercises and done over the correct period of time should not cause you any problems.
    Will it hurt at times? Sure, you are using parts of the body that havent been properly used before, so there will be some pain. But it is also knowing just how much pain you should be getting.
    The safest way is to contact your doctor, tell them what your exercise routine is, tell them how you feel hours after exercises and also a day after exercise. The doctors should be the only ones to start/stop exercise routine for spinal patients.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was struggling with the same problem for a while. I had a surgery and 3 months later I was still having pain, in some cases worse than before the surgery. But because I was in pain I was still babying myself thinking that was the right thing to do. After 3 months of pain I figured I better just get on with my life and started doing some exercises despite the pain and it actually helped. I always felt that if exercises and walking were making it worse then it must be bad, but my feeling is that some exercise can be good. I even went as far as taking ibuprofen and pain killers to get over the pain enough to get through some exercises and I feel that too was beneficial.

In the end I wouldn't push it too far cause there is a point where the exercises make it so bad that it's unbearable, but I am a strong believer now that moving your body around along with keeping a strong mental attitude that progress and results are possible, it is possible to "trick" your body into realizing it needs to start healing.
  • You mentioned "Planks" - could you tell me more about it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hugs, Marg >:D<
  • Hi Margaret,

My doc put me on 150 mg of Lyrica a day - the first 75 mg capsule I took put me to sleep. So, I now take 50 mg doses 3 times a day. At first, I thought it was helping with my leg pain but now I think it's useless. I'll continue to take it though along with my tramadol -- some times good, some days "not so good." I just did my grocery shopping this afternoon and helped myself to the electric cart, propping my left foot up on the top of the cart -- what a sight I must be(LOL!). I'm also doing exercises (stretches) - it seems to help some days and the last few days I've been in quite a bit of pain and the same exercises I've been doing where a little more painful. Who knows?! We all just keep trucking along trying to ace this pain. Take care.