Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

osteoarthritis in the knee

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
My mother has osteoarthritis in the knees (just had surgey fusion on 4 lumbar disks and she was wondering what kind of procedures are available for this. can anyone help?

• have arthritic knees. Send Paulgla a PM. He has had both of his knees replaced and I am sure that he will be glad to share his experience with you. For some reason, this section of the board does not get many people viewing it. Good luck to you and your mom. Please keep us posted.
  • Thanks for replying on both of my posts. I am quite new to this type of forum and am not sure what PM means.She is going for knee surgey in less than a month. Just found out today. Has me worried about her health. (Fusion in Sept.) again thanks.
  • contact Paul and ask him to reply here.
  • Try prolotherapy - it worked for me.... and you won't need surgery. It works even if your knee is bone on bone.... its a series of injections into the joint space that causes inflammation which in turn causes ligaments around the joint to strengthen and also the cartilage to regrow. It is a natural treatment, no side effects. Nothing to lose, so give it a try.....
  • I have it in my right knee (I'm still in my 20's!), and I've had two surgeries to clean up cartilage, and make the stiffness and pain more bearable...but the next stop is probably a knee replacement.

I've done alot of therapy...warm water REALLY helps. The injections help too...although for me they are so painful that it's not worth it. (I have other health problems though)

Prolotherapy is another option. I may try it..I don't know...injections are just so dang painful, and my insurance won't cover twilight sedation, and I remember and feel EVERYTHING with the "drowsy" route that is another option. I have a friend who did really well with it though.

Just make sure she keeps up with her supplements as well, my Dr stresses that the right diet and vitamins can really help, and I do notice a difference when I'm not following my "diet" properly!!!

There's alot of options out there though, do plenty of reserach. Oh, and of course *hugs*...cause everyone needs more of those!
This discussion has been closed.