Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good day everyone,
On Jan. 2nd this year I had my secong surgery on my back. The first surgery was the fusion which was done on Sept. 25, 2008. The surgery was the reult of an accident at work. I fell through a floor fracturing my vertebrae and blowing out my lower disc. I could not move my left foot to any resistance and I was gradually loosing the feeling in my left leg. I felt I had no choice but have the fusion done. After the first surgery I went to therapy because I stilee had no strength in my left leg or foot and my foot was freezing all the time. Therapy only made matters worse and was advised to have a second surgery to clean up the area around the nerves. Now the first surgery was done through my stomach and the second through my back. Both recoveries different. I know it is still early, but I still loose feeling in my left leg and my foot is still freezing all the time. I am walking with pain and can not sit for any longer then 15 to 20 minutes at a time without standing up or lying down. I have not been back to work since the accident on sept. 19, 2008, but I am collecting workers comp so I guess I am lucky. I guess what I am asking does it get better.
I have been reading the forum and feel lucker tthan some of the others and see a lot of similarties with others. This is a good site and very informing. Good luck everyone and keep your chin up. :/

• Greg , like you said , you are still early in recovery and your body has been through an awful lot in a short period of time....it needs time to heal and it will heal in it's time. Which can be frustrating when all we want is to be 'normal" again. Hang in there and follow the doctor.s orders. It might also be helpful to write down all of your questions and concerns...symptoms too and share those with your doctor....however if there is something that is very alarming to you then go ahead and call the doctor with the concern....better to be safe than sorry. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.....and while you are at it , cut yourself some slack...remember you and your body have been through alot. If there is ever anything that I can do for you or if you ever just want to talk , scream , vent , etc then I am just a PM away and I will always reply as soon as I see that I have a PM. Take care....Miki
  • Thanks for the support, I guess my problem is I am 43 years old and have always been on the go and being grounded just plan sucks. I will be patient and will keep you informed thanks again.
  • I can completely understand the being grounded part. We just have to remember that some down time is not always a bad thing...it doesn't mean that we are lazy or worthless , it just means that we have to allow our bodies that time it needs to heal. Our brains can be our own worst enemy in all of this and it can be hard to keep our own thoughts in check , that is another reason why SH is such a great place because we can come here and share and get support from people that struggle with the same things we do , they understand like no one else can. The point is , we don't take this journey alone , not once we find and become a member of SH...we all have each other and there is a lot of comfort in that. Take care....Miki
  • I have spent the last two days reading the forums of others and see the pain and aggravation they are going through. You are correct SH is a great outlet and no one else knows what we have been through like the people on this site. I will try my best to be there for anyone that needs an ear or a shoulder. Thanks again and good luck.