Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Doctor Raided in WA, I am desperate for help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management

I live in WA state and my PM doctor was raided last week by the DEA. His office is now closed and I have been seeing him for 3 years now for treatment of my pain in my back, neck and legs due to an accident. I also suffer from chronic pain all over my body. I had an appointment today to fill my 15mg Oxycodones (#120/mo) and his office was closed until further notice. :''( I am in so much pain and have medical insurance thru my work, but have no idea where I can find a doctor in WA state to help me. As I am sure many of you can understand, if I dont get my medication soon, I will be a mess. Can someone please PM me a doctor that specializes in pain medicine (not BS topical treatments) in my area that I can visit soon to help me get my medications? It is so sad that we live in a day and age where we have to go to these extremes to get the help we need with pain, but I am desperate here and could really use some help from you guys to get me set up again with pain medicine. I have tried searching for pain clinics, but am afraid I will go there and be turned away with crap that doesnt work for my intense pains. Will someone please help me? I really appreciate any and all info you guys can give me to narrow my search.

Thanks to all!

• Sad to say if your doctor was caught by the DEA then you may have a hard time getting another doc to take you on.Most doctors that are seen as corrupt/over medicating their patients really hurt us in the end.Just as bad as patients who abuse the system.A new doctor will likely begin your case from the beginning and question all DX's by this doctor.

Oh yeah, topical's are not BS and do in fact work for some, keep an open mind especially now that your having to start over.

I have no recommendations but I wish you luck.
  • if you also have a primary care doctor...maybe you can meet with him and explain your situation and he can write you a month's Rx for what you're taking...at least that will give you some more time to find a new pain management doctor

tough break on the raid...that does suck and puts you in a predicament...good luck
  • I saw in the news about that doctor being raided,in Tacoma,is that the doctor your talking about?
  • Yes, that was my doctor it Tacoma that got raided. He has closed his office until further notice. I had to call over 15 clinics today and none of them provide pain medications (and those are all the ones covered by my health insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield). I found a doctor in Tacoma that takes a $100 cash deposit and is a pain management doctor. I am bringing my empty pill bottles for him to see what my former pain doctor was giving me. I get the impression this new Dr. will get me back to where I was, because his nurse knew the former Dr. and said that this new doctor has taken on some of his former patients as well. So I am hoping this guy gives me what I normally take and doesnt expect an arm and a leg in return each month for a refill. Is that how it normally works at pain management offices? At the raided Dr.'s office, everyone paid $100 cash every month to have their meds filled. Is the pain management clinic the same concept? Is that why I paid $100 for a "deposit"? I read about this new Dr. and it turns out he also prescribes medical marijuana (although I get that from somewhere else) and he wanted cash only. I am assuming these two doctors have a lot in common for practices of medicine.

• To be honest this sounds like those infamous "pill mills" reported in the news.I would imagine this doctor will go down as well.I would try and find a more legit PM doc, "cash only" DRs are usually a good warning sign IMHO.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    and since you could be a mess, go to the Emergency Room and explain your problem. They MAY be able to help you out with a minimum supply of medications, but they WILL be able to help you out finding another doctor.
    But keep in mind, that if you do see another doctor, they are not just going to write a script for pain medications. You will more than likely have to go through some tests, your previous medical and pharmaceutical records reviewed and maybe more.
    Do you have some of this information? It could sped up the process.
    I can not speak for the state of WA, but I know at least 25 other states where medications such as you are using can be prescribed by other than pain management doctors.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, my name is Amy. Here in Wichita, last summer I think it was, as similar style of Pain Doc (Pill Mill) was raided here in my home town. He had over 50 or 60 overdose deaths in is practice, as well as other issues with Medicare and whatnot.... Dr. EDITED, so ALOT of people were/are in the situation you are now here in my home town, too. Even tho I was not one of his patients it has definately affected me and my ability to find good, compassionate, competent care. I hope you are able to find someone soon..... here in Wichita when it happened, I know alot of people went into the local ER's to get help for the immediate problem, especially if you are on meds that cannot be stopped on a dime.

What a terrible position to leave his legitimate patients in. Shameful if nothing else.

You are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult, stressful time.

• Did you pay your doctor $100 cash and then took your prescriptions to the pharmacy and paid to have them filled? If that is the case, I think I know why that doctor was raided. I have never heard of such a thing. And I would never pay cash - that is "under the table" to me.

I would be really really careful. What you are describing does not sound normal at all. Can you imagine how much "under the table" money those doctors are making?? Red flag. Hope I'm not misunderstanding and also wish you had an easier time finding legitimate pain management.

Take care,