Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice big time, having surgery (PLIF) next week..

JakotsuJJakotsu Posts: 212
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey there, first time poster here. I found this forum via google.

I hurt my back a year ago, took prednisone, got better. About 3 months ago it started back, severe right leg sciatica, throbbing lower back pain (more towards the right side). Over the past 3 months I had 3 steroid epidurals, a prednisone dose pack prior to that, and was taking darvocet/ibuprophen for pain. None have worked.

I had a MRI done a few weeks ago, it showed spinal stenosis w/ disc protrusions, multiple disc buldges, (Don't have the report there was a lot more but this is what I recall).

My pain doc who was doing the injections sent me to a spinal surgeon. He told me I have a real problem and surgery is really the only option unless I wanted to continue with conservative treatments (Summarized).

I am scheduled to have a PLIF L2-L5 done next week.

Over the past few days since this was scheduled my back has gotten worse, I made the mistake of bathing my dog and he jarred me around trying to escape, like an idiot I tried to put him back in the tub. I wanted to bathe him as I feel useless, I am on FMLA from work and all I do is lay around now.

The only way I am comfortable now is laying in bed with a pillow underneath my knees. Otherwise I can walk about 10 feet before I have the most unbelievable severe pain in my right leg, lower back, and right hip. It literally brings me to tears and I feel like I am going to fall.

I have to go to the hospital for pre-admission, then to my primary for medical clearance, then to my spine surgeons PA for my H+P. I can not drive, not even sit in my car without the pain getting unbarable. I am taking lortab 7.5's (even doubled up what the doctor said) and it does not touch this pain, but does provide relief when I lay down).

I had to cancel pre admision yesterday due to this. I called the spine surgeon and only get the office staff who basically tell me I have to get this done. I asked if it was possible to get admited a day early to have everything done at once, they told me no.

Anyone have a suggestion? I have to try again tomorrow morning for pre admission, a friend is taking me and she has a licoln town car, I hope I can find a position in the seat.

I don't like to consider myself a baby but thats how I feel at this point. The pain is truely unbarable, it literally sends me in a crying rage and I havnt even let it peak yet to my knowledge!

I am 25 years old, male, and a nurse by profession. (I never deal with spine issues and sparingly anything surgical, I'm a medical nurse).

I am sorry for such a long post but it is literally depressing to me. I know most of you have gone through far worse, any advice appreciated. I also have a ton of questions about what to expect after surgery but thats another post.

advertisement

Comments

• By no means are you being a baby ;) This is major surgery for major pain and I'm sorry this happened to you. You should be pleased to know that we have a few fine nurses in this community who have gone through this.
    I had a 2 level fusion too (see below) and I know how rough it can be. It is crucial you get down to preadmission or else they won't do it. They also have to draw blood. I know about the hell of driving/riding a car with this type of pain. I had my surgery 8 months ago and I still have that problem, and the only way I'm comfortable is lying down with an ice pack. In my case the 2 back surgeries I had didn't give me relief and I have chronic back pain and sciatica.
    Well, I hope you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll be with you all the way :H
  • It actually brings tears to my eyes just thinking of the ride over tomorrow. Just hoping I can do it.
  • How did your pre admission go? I hoe you were able to get there and that the bad pain has settled a bit now.
    I hope all goes well with your surgery.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hi, welcome to SH. This is a great site for information and support. Do look at the post-op must haves list at the top of this surgery forum. It lists all sorts of ideas for being prepared for surgery. You are having a very big surgery for sure. I only had one level and was off work for 15 weeks. I am a nurse too. I work mother/baby. I can't imagine ever working a medical floor with my back. Perhaps you should look into a new specialty that is easier on your back. I know that is far off with your recovery ahead of you still. I wish you success. Remember it is a long haul recovery for sure. Make sure you follow all your doctors instructions to a T. No bending, lifting, twisting! Take your meds, and take it easy. Walking is the best exercise for Spineys. Best wishes, Cali-Sue
  • Hopefully things are better for you? I also hope that you made it without horrible pain! I'm a nurse as well, and can empathize with pain and not being able to do med-surg work. I had to go to a Dr's office. I'm a little concerned about your fusion being to L5, but not including S1. I would be worried about all that "stiffness" so to speak with the strength of titanium sitting on one lone little vertebra. I guess I'm a little sensitive b/c my listhesis is at that level. Have they commented on why they didn't plan to go that far? It is a tough surgery, but it will hopefully relieve your pain. Best of luck!
  • I hope you got to the hospital and did all the necessary blood work. I can totally relate to your pain. I have the same exact problem. shooting pain down the leg which won't let me sit or stand. But I walk around through the pain because my chiropractor said that laying in bed all day does not help sciatica. It easy for them to say. I hope you will get some relief soon. When it has to do with the back there are no easy fast solutions. That's what I learned because my pain is back and forth for the past 8 years. You have to be positive and if you go for surgery I hope everything goes well for you and you get some relief soon. You deserve it. Good luck
advertisement