Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

walking on a flat surface

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I've been at it for some time and I wondered why the surgeons require us to walk on flat even surfaces?

What if all you have is a bowed road that goes up but not too steeply?

• I haven't ever been told that. In fact when I was walking with the physio on the treadmill she often put it on a gentle incline.
    At the same time I have noticed that when I do walk even a gentle hill it is a lot harder on my back then a flat surface.
    Hope that helps you and I would be interested in reading others replies.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I just started walking and our road is very hilly (not super steep though). And my leg gets worse when I walk. I'm sure it's because the hills put your back at an angle to have to work harder. I also wonder if, when we have to walk up hill, our posture is forced into a position that's not the best for a disc or other spine problem.

• I was told to walk on flat surfaces, not because of an incline. I was told to avoid walking on "uneven" surfaces because it increases your chances of losing your footing, falling or righting yourself abrutly causing pain. Maybe thats what your doctor meant.

PS I walk 4 miles a day, five days a week.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.