Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram on 1/23/09

poolladyppoollady Posts: 154
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I found out today that I am having a discogram on Friday, Jan 23, 2009. Does anyone have any advise? I am scared after reading several previous posts. My doctor is a neuroradiologist. He does this test at the hospital and does give IV meds.
What can I expect for the next few days after?
I have plans to attend a Swimming Pool Convention the following week on Tues - Thurs. I have a scooter rented so I can get around, it is a lot of walking involved and I knew I could not do that. Are my expectation too high, should I cancel my plans? I go to this Convention every year, I work in the Swimming Pool Industry.
I want to continue being active, but my back and legs have stopped me from remaining active most of the time for the last 10 months. It is so hard admitting that I can't do things that I enjoy or things I just want to participate in. I guess that is why I am having the discogram and contemplating surgery, I want to get my life back like everyone else here. My ortho doc said that depending on the results of the disco, surgery can be a good option since the conservative treatments are not working. He feels I can have a good outcome and be active again. I do understand that I am blessed with problems that hopefully can be fixed. I am thankful for what I can do and pray everyday for those who cannot.
I know many of you understand my fustration. Any advise is appreciated.

• Most people have increased pain for a few days but not usually unbearable, of course everyone is different. I have had 2 discograms done and I was back to work (moderately physical job) the next day after both.

Good Luck,
  • I have had 2 of them done in the past year. Not that bad with iv. Just a little worse pain for couple days, so by Tues you should be ok. Only thing I can say is that make sure they record pressures so that your surgeon and any future drs will know how it was. I had to have mine repeated becasue they didnt measure and record the pressures and my insurance company fought me on my fusion. It did finally give them the info to fine annular tears in 3 discs, after no one coulod fine what was wrong for 2 1/2 years and many Drs. Good luck and I hope that it helps them to solve your problems.
  • I had pain comparable to a bad flare for a couple days then it gradually felt better each day after. I was back to MY normal in about 5 days. /:)
    The procedure itself wasn't too bad (better than I expected #:S ) but I was used to getting the epidural steriod injections (I've had close to 30) & the procedure is similiar. The main difference for me was the pressure as they were injecting the discs...of course the bad disc was more painful. The worse pain was when it was over & I tried to get up. They were great about pain management right away though, (via IV) :D
    Hope this helps, mine was done without any relaxation type meds, just antibiotic.

It really helped to know for sure that the disc was the cause of my pain & that surgery should help...and it has :) .
  • I appreciate the infomation and well wishes for Friday. It is nice to know that others understand.
    Take care,
  • and i was sedated during it only waking me up when they needed me to respond...I believe I swore at them a few times hehe...but I dont remember a thing about it. I was fine the next day.
    I did have spasms for the rest of the day but easily controlled with just one tramadol. By that night I felt fine and in the morning it was like it had never happened.
    Good luck!
  • mine was done without any sedation or drugs whatsoever...undoubtely the worst pain I have EVER experienced, and I could not bend straight up for 5 days. I'll never have another one done...the above is just my opinion and experience

good luck and I hope it shows the problem area(s)
  • I usually hurt worse for almost a week - I have had 3 of them. But I have constantly inflamed nerves - and we are all different.
    If you can take ice packs to the convention and rest occasionally if you need to you should be fine after 4 days.
    The discogram itself is painful for me - My first was with no sedation. Do not be afraid to ask them to increase the pain meds or sedation if it hurts too bad!
    Good Luck! Julia
  • I really appreciate the info. I am not afraid to ask for less pain that is for sure. I hope you latest surgery is a success, you have been through so much. Again Thanks.
  • Hi Stacey

I just had a discogram done and I too had NO clue what to expect and was scared out of my wits. Long story short, the test was much more tolerable both during and after then I expected. I was sore (more stiff like) for about 5 days after but i took some ibuprofin and it helped. I was a bit proactive and took a vicoden when i got home and one 4 hours later, because it was painful (but tolerable). I read a ton of different posts on here prior to my test and I can definitley say that everyones outcome is different... good luck and stay positive :)
  • Are they going to give you any kind of sedative? I am given valium or zanax anytime they have to do any types of injection because i have vesavea (sp?) and I feel like I am going to throw up and pass out during the procedures. They can call this in to your pharmacy so you can take it before the procedure. I don't think they want you to be totally sedated because they want you be awake and talk them through how you are feelign while they are doing it but they can give you something to calm you down so it's not as bad as if you had nothing.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated after your appt. Good luck at the convention thing next week too.
  • Thanks for all the concern and information. The test went very well, I don't remember much. I remember saying I had pain and that quick it was gone and the test was finished. They did give me versed, so I would not remember. I would recommend that everyone find a doctor that does discograms all the time and someone who provides sedation, it made the whole process tolerable.
    I do have 2 bad discs. The doctor gave them a grade of 2, does anyone know what this means. My L3/4 was grade 0, L4/5 & L5/S1 grade 2. I know it means those with a grade 2 are bad but anyone know anymore about the grading process.
    I will see my Ortho Surgeon on Friday Jan 30th to talk about surgery. I also asked the doc that did the discogram for a recommendation of who I could see for a second opinion. I really like my surgeon but I want to know I am making the right decision if surgery is an option.
    Take care,