Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion any uplifting tales

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All I am a newbie....actually I have been spying for a while. Sorry to all that have suffered:( And great to all of you who are fighting your way back. I am 4 weeks post op from a L4-S1 fusion and wondering if I am ever going to be the same? This all started 5 years ago with a fall from one of my precious rescue dogs. Well blah blah blah. We all have our own story don't we any way, as most of you. PT 7 times, mylograms, discograms, countless epi injections, prednisone, L4-L5 lami (staff infection afterward) 7 months of IV vaco. I feel like I went from 35 (time of acident to 105) anyway. Doc. did 5.5 hour surgery and said there was a lot of scar tissue (his words) like pulling a noodle out of cement. Now I have severe leg pain. I am in more pain now than before my surgery and my mobility is that of a toddler learning to walk. As I told my NS at my post op he said you'll be fine and that was it. He put me on nuerontin. I broke out in hives. Today I start lyrica. I am hoping for better results. Sorry so long. I just have had no one to talk to. I really don't want to burden my family. So many issues these days. Economy...hubby trying to keep family business alive and teen daughter trying to go to college and take care of the house and the dogs. Thanks for any input. God Bless all and Better Health with the coming new Year.

• Welcome to Spine Health. I hope you enjoy yourself here. I'm so sorry you are in pain. So many of us here in this forum know just how you feel and we care what happens to you. I am keeping you in my prayers and i hope you no longer have to suffer!!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Give it time and try to be patient! I am 7 weeks post op from an ALIF fusion of L4/L5 and a re-fuse of L5/S1. I am finally starting to feel better some of the time. Bedridden again today due to cloudy cold weather - but I know it is temporary. Can finally walk without a cane, even though I have a numb foot. It takes a little re-training and practice to walk with nerve pain and numbness. Therefore my name granny@43 (actually 44 now!).

This was my fourth major back surgery, and in my experience it takes a good 2-3 months to feel human again. 6 months to feel like you can go back to normal life. Just remember that our NORMAL is not necessarily going to be the same as someone else's normal even if they are the same age. Sometimes we have to adjust our expectations so we are not constantly disappointed.

I hope the Lyrica helps you - takes a couple of weeks to get used to. I have been on it for almost 5 years and it really helps me.

Add me to your buddy list so you have someone to talk to!
    Bless you too - Julia

• I saw the Surgeon the other day and have good news. I started a thread called

Good news Dr answers pain.

Hang in there and dont let it get you down.
    Blessings Sara
  • Having surgery and then getting a staph infection is way too much for someone to handle. Well hopefully you're on the mend and can retrain your body with walking. I'm on lyrica also and at first it made me tired,cloudy and caused my feet to swell but after a few weeks the side effects wore off and it's helped the leg and foot pain and numbness. I hope you're feeling better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It was nice to reach out to people who (unfortunately) understand. Julia, you gave me much hope. Maybe I am just expecting to much to soon. And Evelyn thanks for the prayers we all could use them. Charry I just started Lyrica today, so we will see how things go. I take percocet at night only to sleep and only when the spasms are bad a valium. My doctor is of Eastern medicine and believes the body heals better without meds. Yeah, I would like him to feel my nerve pain. I am trying to hard to keep positive. It's so hard we are so isolated with little family around. It is just my teen taking care of the house. I will not even go there. Thanks again all. And here is to a pain free 2009.

L4-L5 Laminectomy 04, staph infection from surgery turned to oestemyolytis in my spine, 7 months of at home IV vancomyocin to clear up, countless epidural injections, PT 6 times, Tailbone removed 07, broke rt hip and tore labrum,(this was all due to a fall), repaired rt labral tear 07, L4-S1 fusion Dec 08.
  • It will take time to feel normal again. I am 2 months post fusion and ADR and feel so much better. I have 4 large dogs and know how strong they are so be careful. They also know you are injured and will respond to you differently, dogs just know. Lyrica helped my nerve issue and I hope it helps you. Give yourself time to be taken care of it gives others a glimpse of what you do everyday without complaint. Take Care and get your rest.