Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L3-L4 L4-L5 L5-S1 Lamienectomy Discectomy 5 Day Post Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L3-L4 L4-L5 L5-S1 Lamienectomy and Discetomy done 5 days ago. I injured my back 6 years ago but reinjured 4 months ago and was in intolerable pain, mainly sciatica. One week prior to surgery started to lose some right leg muscle use, tip toes that kinda stuff.

I am now 5 days post op and doing AWESOME. No pain, I take 1 percocet at night to help sleep. Took shower this morning. I am walking up stairs normal,not one at a time. Only problems are right leg weakness which has improved everyday. A little numbness in my private areas and rectum. Have only had 1 assisted bowel movement but passed gas for the first time today. LOL. God is in control and cant wait for tommorow.

• Hi asj2828,
    That's great to hear your pain is going away! Very encouraging for me, since I'm planning on a second surgery.
    After my first surgery, I remember it took about a month before things were starting to get back to normal. There were new sensations and pains coming and going while the body was healing and getting adjusted to it's new hardware, etc.
    If the pain is gone, I would guess that the muscle weakness will be gone in time.
    Hope all continues to improve!
  • It's great you aren't in pain anymore.
    Just be aware that you are in the "honeymoon" part of the recovery.
    Take things very easy.
    As for muscle stuff,
    the numbness in my foot went away very slowly.
    Over the course of about 5 months after the discectomy.

My right calf shrank about an inch and a half.
    (the herniation on L4-L5 compressed the nerve for about 10 months)
    PT guy said it would take me about a year to grow it back.
    It's been a year and a half.... not quite where it was, but coming back.
    I'm sure I could've gotten it back sooner if I had done specific weightlifting movements for the calf.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi asj,
    That sounds great. I'm really glad to hear you are doing so good, just don't over do it. I have scheduled my Laminectomy for March 5th. I also have bad sciatica and taking 2 sometimes 3 percocet a day. My left leg below the knee is numb. I'm scared to death so hearing your progress gives me a little hope.

Can't really help with your muscle weakness or bowels. I take stool softeners quite frequently due to the pain meds. If you are having constipation I've been told that drinking warm prune juice helps.

Keep up the good progress and I'll say a prayer for you.
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I had a talk with my wife last night and agreed to kinda slow down with the stairs but i feel even better this morning. for anybody who needs this i believe there is hope and back surgery even tho mine was minor compared to other stories ive seen is not the death sentence outsiders make it to be. understand each person is different and so are results. keep a positive attitude, life and death come out the toungue. So today i claim i am healing and EXPECT a full recovery.

PHIL 4:13