Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help! Don't understand MRI results

bimmerellabbimmerella Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok, I finally got my PM Doctor to order a new MRI and I go to him Monday to go over the results, however I wanted a copy of the results for myself. I am totally confused and not sure if this is good or bad. It sounds bad. So any help all of you self educated in the same boat as me could give me, would be greatly appreciated.

C3-4 There is a 2-3mm anterolisthesis of C3 with uncovering of the disc. Mild end plate osteophytes. Severe facet arthropathy is noted bilaterally. Canal is patent. Mild right foraminal and minimal right lateral recess narrowing is noted. Left neural foramen is patent.

C4-5 mild facet arthropathy. Minimal anterolisthesis of c4. canal and foramina are patent.

C5-6 Moderate central disc protrusion/osteophyte with bilateral uncovertebral joint osteophyte. Mid sagittal scan there apperars to be mild indentation of the ventral surface of cord, although canal appears to be patent posteriorly.

Impression: 1. There is central disc protrusion with osteophyte at c5-6 with mild compression of the midline ventral cord.
2. Spondylosis C3-4 and C4-5 particularly involving the facet joints at C3-4.

I am in constant pain, numb in my fingers, dizzy and I feel like I can't control my head, like it's going to roll right off. My neck feels like it needs to pop but somehow I know if I pop it, it would be very bad. Does this need a surgical consult??? Need advise from people who have been there! I'm only 39 and I don't want to have to act like I'm 80 before I am. (Don't really want to act it then.)

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    That you have multiple levels and areas of degenerative disk disease.

Yes, I would consult with an ORTHOPEDIC surgeon (NOT a neurosurgeon) as soon as possible.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hi. It's true that you have what looks like multiple areas of degenerative disk disease. Surgical intervention should be your LAST resort. Definitely get a surgical consult. Orthopedic surgeons are probably more interested in deformity type surgery and Neurosurgeons are more interested in central nervous system-type surgery. Both can/will do this type of surgery. Their training, specialty and area of expertise is the most important factors for you to consider. Some questions to ask: Have they done this before? How many times?, What is their success rate? What are the complications? etc. They should be able to give you hard answers, not just statistics if they have done these before. You want someone who has done this type of surgery many times and knows the complications and outcomes. A more conservative approach (PT, pain meds, etc) is always best to start. Successful surgery outcomes range in the 50% area.
    The MRI center should be able to give you a CD of the exam, which you can take to ANY doctor and have them read it. I suggest you get you own copy of the report and the images and go to at least 3 doctors and interview them before going under the knife.
    I'm an MRI Technologist.
    Good Luck!!
  • After my MRI my Primary Dr. sent me for an EMG and at that test I met the Neurologist. He then referred me to an Orthosurgeon at the same time as the test. But I had to wait to see the Orthosurgeon, I guess it depends on your test results. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN