Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op noises

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm officially one week post op (ACDF)and am really hoping I'm not screwing my neck up. My doctor gave me a hard neck brace to wear when up and about, and a soft neck brace to wear when I'm in bed. But it seems that when I have my soft brace on, I've been waking up occasionally with a dull headache at the base of my skull where my neck meets. Also, when I'm laying there, I try to get settled in for the night, nestling my head into my pillow, rearranging the position of my head without trying to move much, but every so often my neck will pop loudly around the top of my neck/skull base. Which really freaks me out. My ACDF was lower down @ c4-6. I'll also get this snap, crackle, pop after I've layed in bed for awhile and then get up and walk around. It's almost like my neck is trying to realign itself once I get into an upright position.

I guess I really didn't expect my neck to do this and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

• I can't explain why it happens but mine started after my ACDF 5-6-7 in 2006. I just added the 4-5 and yes it still does it. The snap crackle pop I've been told is inflamation and is normal.

At the base of the neck mine doesn't really pop. Mine is really more of a clunk. Sounds strange huh!

It does freak me out sometimes but it doesn't hurt.

• My neck snaps also. I hate it because it freaks me out too.

Back in November, I wore a hard collar and was told I could sleep in a soft collar, but I didn't. I slept in my hard collar because I just didn't know what I was going to do with my head in the middle of the night and didn't want to take any chances. Call me paranoid. 8}