Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System anyone?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I'm new & think I posted in the wrong forum a while ago & can't find my post. Anyway I'm scheduled on March 4th for the above surgery on L4 & L5. I have spinal stenosis & a couple ruptured disks.

I've done the epidurals, pyh. therapy, walking all that I can do really. I also have arthritis, DDD, & fibromyalgia. I'm 47 yrs. old & have had the disk trouble for over 20 yrs. now. I'm a mess.

I really hope this surgery helps me, I haven't even been able to sleep in my bed for a year or so now, I sleep in a recliner. Not real good for the marriage. :(

I been married for 23 yrs. & have 3 kids, 2 out on their own & we have a 12 yr. old son at home yet. :) I have a wonderful spine surgeon & am very nervous about having the surgery.

I hope to find someone who's had this surgery & get some insight.

• I'm really hoping to hear from someone who has had this Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System..

It's the "new" surgerical procedure that's suppose to take the place of fusion. It's for spinal stenosis & other spine problems.

It's very similar to fusion surgery but uses flexible materials to stabilize the spine. I hope to hear from somebody. :)

Thanks Janis
  • Hi Janis,
    I had this procedure in early May, 2008. I also had severe stenosis, and some other problems, also at L4 and L5. One month before the procedure I was having to use a wheelchair on occasion to get around, so standing and walking had become near impossible. I too tried all of the other options first, epidurals and lots of physical therapy. The day following surgery, I was able to get out of my hospital bed on my own, and walk up and down an entire flight of stairs, all without pain. The only pain was the local incision site, and it was about a 2 compared to the pre-surgery pain. I was able to get back to work after two weeks. I have been pain free since, and have resumed all of my normal activities. My doctor was a lifesaver for me, by recommending this procedure. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and because of my positive experience, I also would recommend it. I hope that you have the same happy outcome that I did. One thing that was reassuring, was that my dr said if this failed to work for me, I could always try the traditional spinal fusion, so this was not a last resort. But fortunately for me, it was successful. Good luck, I hope you'll post your results.
  • Thanks Shelly, I'm really thinking this procedure/Dynesys surgery will work for me. My surgeon is really good & I have faith in him. If he thinks it will work then I'm sure it will. I honestly haven't found one person to say anything negative about this man. We know there's usually one in a crowd to cut someone down, but luckily I haven't found that person yet. :)

I'm glad your surgery was a success. It's reassuring since we have very similar diag.

Take care,