Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help after surgery

slowpoke60sslowpoke60 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be having surgery on my lower back in February.
I will have 3 disc fused.

My husband can stay home for a week with me, then my daughter can come over during the day to be with me.
Is this enough help?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

• Everyone responds differently so it is hard to say. I am 5 weeks out and I still rely on my boyfriend to do things for me.

When your daughter is there during the day, they your husband will be home during the night right? If so then that sounds like you will be covered 24/7

Unfortunately the no lifting, bending, twisting, takes on a new reality once it applies to you.

• I think you'll be fine. It's just me and my 15 year old daughter living here and she goes to school during the day so I was left alone a lot. I did fine. I was able to walk to the bathroom and kitchen to get something to eat. But mostly, I just laid in bed and watched TV or played on the laptop. I had all my drugs, my big mug of water, and my phone on the table next to me, so I was in good shape.
  • But I would line up the daughter for the next week also (week 3) just incase. You can always relieve her if you feel better :) . It seemed 3 weeks was when I turned the corner & started feeling well enough to be left alone for over 2-3 hours. Thats just me tho, some do not have the luxery of having any help when they get home, God Bless them O:)

• My husband drives truck so he would be gone most of the week and only be home on the weekends, so I would be by myself during the evening and night. Daughter can only stay during the day.

I also have to have 3 disc. fused in my neck and I am thinking about having that done first. He can stay home for a week when this is done.

My husband can stay home with me for 4 weeks from June on if I am over my neck surgery by then. I think, after reading this board that I would prefer to have him home with me all the time for the first 4 weeks.

I appreciate all of your imput on this.

• is there any chance you can have replacement instead of fusion? just a concern on your behalf
  • Gosh, you are in the wars.
    I had 3 levels done last may. L3-S1. I had 10 days in hospital and 2 weeks in rehab before I came home. I do live on my own which is why the rehab.
    In rehab I was up and about during the day, going to physio and hydrotherapy and walking a lot around the hospital. I had short rests between session.
    You will find it extremely hard to cook etc for yourself but OK to prepare a sandwich or similar as long as you have everything at bench height (I rearranged my kitchen). I froze dozens of complete meals for when I came home.

From what I have read here the neck is an easier recovery from (apologies to anyone who doesn't feel that way)so maybe if that is first and then the lumbar in June when you have more help or even better if you could arrange rehab.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Yes, I have decided to have my neck done first. That way my husband can be home with me for a month. I think I would feel a lot more secure that way.

They said that they have to fuse them, not replace them, I will know more when I go Tuesday, 27th. Will be making the surgery appointment then.

Looking foward to talking with everyone as things go along.

• a good plan.
    When you see the surgeon ask about recovery time, what type of bone he will use for the fusion,etc.
    Write a list and make sure you get all answers covered before you leave.
    Blessings Sara
  • it definitely varies by person. i only had help for a week or so. i didn't NEED it, but i preferred my boyfriend bringing my son down the stairs to the bus in the morning and going down to get him in the afternoon. but other than that i didn't need help. i took care of myself and my son. only thing i didn't do was carrying baskets of laundry up and down the stairs for the first month. also, the morning after i got home from the hospital, i went to walmart, cvs, walgreens, and places like that to run some errands. walked around the mall just to get out of the house about a week out of the hospital. drove myself 14 days post op to my neurosurgeon's to get my staples out. recovery was easy for me, but it's not that easy for everyone.
  • I think you'll be OK. Sounds like you have already planned a support system and aren't waiting until panic time to try and figure things out! :) Pre-planning is your best tool right now.

I think with your daughter only coming in the daytime would be just fine. I recommend that she leave bottles of water in various spots around the house(coffee table, nightstand, etc.) so that you always have something to drink without having to get up. One of my best tools was actually a joke from a coworker. She hooked up a bicycle basket to the front of my walker as a joke but I ended up carrying water bottle, meds, telephone in it so I was never without them!

Make sure you steal as many of those disosable pillows from the hospital as you can carry-they come in so handy. Think about who you want helping you with your shower-hubby or daughter. Buy spray-on deodorant to freshen up and the feminine wipes too. Plan on brushing your teeth at the kitchen sink because then you don't have to bend as much.

Good luck to you, I think you'll do fine since you have support already lined up! Keep us updated!
  • I am not completely sure what he will do with my neck. I go to the Doctor tomorrow, 27th and he will tell me what they are going to do. But when I went to find out what was wrong, he did mention fusing the disc together.

• Thanks sara,
    I do have my list ready for the doctor when I go tomorrow, 27th. I have a mile long list of questions.

I am glad you are doing so well with your surgery.

• I have made up my mind to have my neck done first. I thought about having my back first, but I'd rather have my husband home with me for the month.

With my neck, I will be home by my self after the first week except during some of the day, when my daughter can come out.

Did you have to use a walker for very long? (this was with your back, right?)
    What about using crutches instead of a walker,
    would they be better?

They basket on the front sounds like a very good idea.