Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware removal

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I hope to find some answers I can't seem to find anywhere else. I had a neck fusion in 2004 C 4,5,6. I had two herniated disks and a bone spur. Everything went well until I was rearended about a year later and it broke the lower fusion and cracked a screw.(So much for titanium) Long story short I did not want them to go back in to refuse so I took the long route taking lot's of Coral Calcium and I was finally told this last April that the lower fusion was solid.

It all seemed to get better but now I am having problems with C1 locking up, either side which is accompanied by a lot of pain. The Doc believes its the minute movement I am allowed by the cracked screw now that it fused. He wants to go in and remove the hardware and it scares the hell out of me.

I wondering if anyone else out there has experienced something similar?

• I want to welcome you to Spine Health. I have not had the same issue as you, but just wanted to keep this thread alive until someone can help.

• I had my hardware removed but only because I had to fuse 4-5. I already had a plate on 5-6-7. This scared me too!

Hopefully someone will have more answers for you. I am not sure what I would do in your postion.

• Thanks for the feedback. So since they had to put in a new plate they removed the old plate since that portion was fused? Did they run into any problems? They told us the surgery could be up to 4 hours(Yikes) So help me here what does ACDF exactly stand for? Hope your doing well.
  • I didn't have any problems during surgery. The 5-6-7 was fused so they took that hardware out. I now have a smaller plate only on 4-5 and 4 screws.

That is a long time to be in surgery for a hardware removal. My total surgery was like 3 1/2 hours. The disk that blew fragmented and was larger than they thought. He said he had to dig a lot of pieces out.

I am feeling better. Still have to be careful not to over do it.

ACDF Anterior Cervical Disketomy and Fusion. Just a fusion from the front.