Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

almost 5 months post c1 c2 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hey guys
checking in and leaving an update. i have been out of neck brace for about 6 weeks. all is good. tyl for pain and occasional flexeril.
started PT first week in december. worried becasue i still get the rice krispies snap crackle pop noise back there. i fear it is the bone or fusion rubbing. . .. lol . . but then again this has been my fear forever.
fortunately the muscle tension has been dramatically decreased thanks to the massage therapy. muscle tension is awful. i found the massage therapy was the best thing for this.
hoping to go back to work in march. i see ns march 5th.
other than the noisy neck all is so far so good.
hope to start running again in march!!
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like you are doing much better. Yeah!

The noises you describe are normal from what I am told. I have this too. I was told it is caused by inflammation in that area. Massage should help ease that.

Cindee
  • I told you we will be Rice Krispies together forever. I still hear the back of my neck too. It's funny sometimes and scary others. I'm glad your massage therapy is working since I am hoping to start deep tissue massage at the end of the week. I'm a little afraid of the first few sessions but know that it will be SO worth it in the end. I'm glad you finally gave us an update. Stop disappearing for so long at a time. We miss you when you're away. :)
  • I am just 3 weeks into recovering from c1/c2 fusion with bone graft. I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it will be before I can feel normal again. I am amazed with the amount of pain which I am experiencing and the stiffness in my neck has not relaxed at all. I also have numbness on the whole right side of my head.I am hoping that there is someone that can explain the process of recovery to me.
    Thanks
    Barbara
  • Barbara43 said:
    I am just 3 weeks into recovering from c1/c2 fusion with bone graft. I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it will be before I can feel normal again. I am amazed with the amount of pain which I am experiencing and the stiffness in my neck has not relaxed at all. I also have numbness on the whole right side of my head.I am hoping that there is someone that can explain the process of recovery to me.
    Thanks
    Barbara
    Everyone is different and heals at different time frames. Generally a complete fusion is close to 3 months on average. The first month is the worst or at least it was for me. the 2nd month improved some. The 3rd month was the best. your neck will be stiff for the entire 3 months until the collar comes off and your doctor tells you its ok to move it. The numbness on the side of your head is from the halo device used to secure your head in place so it wouldnt move during surgery. That resolved for me in about 3 to 4 weeks. Hope you feel better soon :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I will look forward to the 3 month post op. I have since been told that the numbness to the right side of my head would be caused by a nerve that was drilled through during the placement of the rod and it will eventually get better. However my post op appt with the surgeon is in two weeks. I will hopefully know more than where most of my pain and numbness is coming from.
    Take care,
    Barbara
  • Hi Barbara,

It sounds like you had the surgery three weeks before I did. I am five weeks post op and I feel a lot better. I am still concerned with the range of motion however. I know it takes time and its too soon to tell. I go back for my 8 week post op in a afew weeks. How are things for you at this point?
  • Since you've gone through this surgery can you tell me how your range of motion is at this point?
  • Just wanted to say Hi & it just takes time to heal. I am 4 1/2 mos post op, still a little pain, NOT near as BAD!!! Now getting massages, tens unit, ultrasound (2weeks now) .... it made a HUGE turn around in my recovery - the muscle pain was a 10+!!! Poor muscles have been through ALOT!!!
    Take Care ALL of YOU!!!
    hugs & kisses
    Julie
  • Hi all, Im new here.. I am 3 monts postop after c5-6 ACDF. still have bad pain. My last xray of a day ago shows no bone growth in the cage, is this normal or should there be some growth seen. I see my NS in a few days. The pain I have now in the last couple of days has put me on the couch. its a pain I have not had before... a very deep burning throb just above the base of my neck. what the heck is going on. If anyone has gone through this type of surgery can offer any help it would be so great!! Thank you!
  • I feel as if you are telling my story. I to am 3 months post-op and I wander will I ever feel normal again. My doctor told me I will never be 100% again so I guess I will find a new normal. Good Luck and hope you feel better. ACDF @ C5 and C6 with hardware.
  • Thank you for your reply, Its nice to know I am not alone. I guess I anticipated a quick recovery and I got a big slap in the face. Its so discouraging when I cant do something so simle as dishes or fold laundry. Take care and thanks again.

Jennie
  • Hang in there girl. I couldn't do ANYTHING as easy as dishes or laundry either for months. Seemed like I lost tract of time & years had passed, but not. It was VERY depressing & so PAINful to do anything. I went to PT 4 mos after surgery, on my own, & they made a complete turn around in me. Complete 360, because my muscles were stuck like a charlie horse in my shoulder area. Back on road to recovery now... I can see the end F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!!! No wonder they say "keep a positive attidude" - if not, one will LOSE IT!!! So sorry for your pain.
    Big hug to YOU & hope you are WELL SOON!!! >:D<
  • SherryS said:
    Since you've gone through this surgery can you tell me how your range of motion is at this point?
    My range of motion isn't 100 percent by all means. I would say its 75 percent of what it use to be. If i move my neck to the right while driving I sometimes have to move my entire upper body.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
  • jenniejunebug said:
    Thank you for your reply, Its nice to know I am not alone. I guess I anticipated a quick recovery and I got a big slap in the face. Its so discouraging when I cant do something so simle as dishes or fold laundry. Take care and thanks again.

Jennie
    Don't feel discouraged Jenny. I think everyone thinks surgery is a quick fix until its over. Spine surgeries can have good results after the post op time. Spine surgeries are not as simple as most surgeries, they require many months of healing to fuse the bone. When I had my fusion and every time I went back to my doctor they took xrays and I began fusion a little bit each time and was fully fused at 3 months. Each person is different however so don't let this worry you. If you can't do the dishes or any task that needs done do not feel guilty or let anyone else make you feel guilty. You let your body be your guide when you do anything. You have a lot of healing to do and the worrying and stress will not help that.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
  • I am having C1-C2 Fusion with graft on March 31. The doctor said I have severe arthritus and this is about the only solution to my pain. It has gotten worse the last year until it is hard for me to have a normal day. I have severe deep burning on the side of my head that gets awful. I have been reading the posts and the surgery really sounds scary. I didn't realize there would be such a difficult time after surgery and a long and difficult recovery. I am a 61 year old female and have never had any surgery except rotator cuff (skiing injury) 15 years ago. Is there any advice for preparing my body? Thanks for your help.
  • Not sure if I am doing this right. I'm having that surgery on March 31 (C1-C2 fusion with bone graph. I decided to check this site to see if I could find out anything about it. How long were you in the hospital? Were you in a lot of pain? Are you pretty much confined to home during this time? I'm wondering how to get prepared for the surgery. I didn't realize there would be sure a long recovery.
  • Wow...I am having C1-C2 fusion with bone graph on March 31. It really disturbs me that your doctor said you would never be normal again. Did he mean range of motion?

Dianne
  • Hi all,
    I am wondering what kind of activities are you able to do after a c1-c2 fusion ? Are you able to do some sports ?
    shortfuse5691, you said that you have 75% of range motion for your neck, did you have a c1-c2 fusion ?

Regards,
  • Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and I'm writing this on behalf of my 81 year old dad who has been told by the ns that he needs to have a laminectomy to C1 and have it fused to C2, not sure what to expect. He now has a burning, tingling sensation in his neck, shoulders and wrists. The first ns wanted to place a metal plate at the base of his skull do the laminectomy on C1 and put screws in C2 and possibly C3 and C4 depending on what he found. At that note got a second opinion and decided to go with having only C1 and C2 fused. He is very nervous as to what to expect coming out of surgery, from what we have read it sounds like its an awful surgery. He's very physically active and in good health. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Marie :)
  • Hey everyone, new to this, names Brian, I'm 20 years old and I just had posterior c1c2 fusion on nov. 20th. I was told there are 2 rods, 4 screws, and a wire. All feels well, normal pain levels, normal stiffness(meaning 0% movement). I am very outdoorsy and want to know I this is going to be a major problem in a few years when I try to do the things I did before. I love action sports, but don't want the risk of paralysis. Is this fusion technique going to be strong enough to keep from slippage if I were to have a heavy accident to my head? Or am I subject to a not-so-strong neck, with the possibility of paralysis? Also, I was told in the prices of fusing two vertebrae, you must take out the cervical disk and put something of harder material for no slippage. Is this true, could I be missing a part that will make it 'stronger'? I understand I will loose mobility, I just don't want to loose strength, I want to be able to do what I was doing before and not worry about the risk of paralysis.
  • Hi, my name is Kevin, I had C1 C2 fusion with iliac crest graft. It has been 10 weeks and the pos-op side-affects are stiff neck, crackle pop noise when I turn my head (most when i turn to the left), left side numbness in the back of my head, left side neck pain when i stress, and left side shoulder pain. Besides all of the symptoms , there is a feeling in my neck that is hard to describe, specifically in the back of the neck where the c1c2 are located at, the feeling is not of pain but rather something is pressing on my back neck muscle and it make my head feels heavy and tired. 2 more concerns I have are that the numbness on my left side back side of my head ( When will I start to regain sensation?), and 2 weeks after my surgery i developed a small bump the size of a nickel on the upper left corner of my head, at first it was very painful but it had subsided with no pain and minimal pain on certain days. I have had 2 different opinions on this so-called bump, (a trauma doctor said it was a sebaceous cyst and a nurse practitioner said it was an infection), have any of you have had his happen after surgery? the bump still exist and i have loss hair around it. some more questions i have are :
    1. are everyone with this surgery able to regain full or close to full rotation of turning the neck and pain when you turn
    2. how long before we will feel normal again
    3. types of physical therapy you are doing to improve your strength and flexibility

thank for reading about my concerns and i wish everyone who have had this operation a fast and safe recovery.

kevin
  • jbnms99jjbnms99 Posts: 182
    edited 02/03/2014 - 5:38 AM
    My guess would be the bump to be infection since it didn't show up until after the surgery, I would think they would just go in and lance that open, the hair loss is probably from irritation. But I am about to go talk to a surgeon because of all my cervical issues and I have asked the same thing, how long will I be off of work, how much range of motion should I expect to lose, how long until I feel normal again, will I ever be 100% again. I will follow this post, please keep us updated! thanks
  • Well, it has been about 2 1/2 month after my surgery, and this past week I went back to work. My job is not really hard work but i do have to lift a patient who is almost dead weight. I have to transfer him about 5-6 times throughout the day from bed to a chair to a car. the transfer last no more than 5 second. first couple of days it was ok but toward the end of the week i notice my neck and shoulders were a little sore, and i actually took my muscle relaxer and pain meds. but over all no real changes to my neck and head, still have the same symptoms ( neck tightness, head still numb, still have the bump in my head shoulder still sore.
    one thing is getting better is my rang of motion can feel it improving a little

well if anyone who are still reading this forum please let us know about your recovery
    kevin
  • Hi guys,
    new to the forum. I am about a year out from a C1-C2 fusion. I have 4 screws, 2 rods and bone from my hip inserted in between the two wrapped with wire.

As far as the common mobility question, unfortunately it doesn't come back. I am young (30) and my doctor says I have more then most, but it is by no means "normal".

Anyways, the reason I joined the forum was because I recently started getting a random stinging /burning sensation where I think the screws are. I don't know if I'm paranoid because my doctor appointment is coming up or what? I hope I'm being paranoid, but I am starting to fear the worse after reading about loose screws and failed fusions. Any advice?
  • shortfuse5691 said:
    Barbara43 said:
    I am just 3 weeks into recovering from c1/c2 fusion with bone graft. I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it will be before I can feel normal again. I am amazed with the amount of pain which I am experiencing and the stiffness in my neck has not relaxed at all. I also have numbness on the whole right side of my head.I am hoping that there is someone that can explain the process of recovery to me.
    Thanks
    Barbara

Everyone is different and heals at different time frames. Generally a complete fusion is close to 3 months on average. The first month is the worst or at least it was for me. the 2nd month improved some. The 3rd month was the best. your neck will be stiff for the entire 3 months until the collar comes off and your doctor tells you its ok to move it. The numbness on the side of your head is from the halo device used to secure your head in place so it wouldnt move during surgery. That resolved for me in about 3 to 4 weeks. Hope you feel better soon :)

You know my doctor never had me in a neck collar!! He said he thought was not necessary and impeded healing. Somehow I misunderstood him and thought I had a two week recovery!! I believe he meant 2 weeks before I can be out of bed moving around!! The hospital or the doctor never gave me post op instructions. Or I never saw them. I asked the hospital and they said ask the doctor. I asked the doctors office and they just told me what my post-op was. I think this surgeon is a good surgeon but he has a very disorganized office. I am currently two months post-op and still in neck and shoulder pain. The pain meds help manage the pain. It is hard to sleep. I just bought a new ergonomic pillow we'll see if that helps.

I would have to say 3 weeks is way too early to be judging on your pain or recovery!! As I was told I need to be patient. I'm back at work but not sure that was a good decision. They were pressuring me at work to return though. I am currently working 3 days a week. I see my spine doctor next Thursday and we'll see what he says. Thanks to this forum I am much more educated on my surgery!!!
  • KarensSpineKKarensSpine Posts: 4
    edited 10/14/2015 - 7:18 AM
    I think those are the discs of had done. I have to recheck. I kind of jumped into this surgery after suffering with pain since January and trying everything else. I was determined NOT to have surgery. Well that wasn't the case. Now I am into my 3rd month at work 3 days a week and on pain meds. I still have pain in my neck and shoulders with numbness and tingling in my arms. My doctor never told me what my ROM was. I wish I had researched this more prior to surgery only because I would have been more educated on what to ask. When your in a lot of pain though you don't think straight.

I am hoping I will eventually be pain free. That is why I am checking these forums. I do have some crackling in my neck. Hard to sleep. I see PT twice a week.
  • kal_valentine said:
    Well, it has been about 2 1/2 month after my surgery, and this past week I went back to work. My job is not really hard work but i do have to lift a patient who is almost dead weight. I have to transfer him about 5-6 times throughout the day from bed to a chair to a car. the transfer last no more than 5 second. first couple of days it was ok but toward the end of the week i notice my neck and shoulders were a little sore, and i actually took my muscle relaxer and pain meds. but over all no real changes to my neck and head, still have the same symptoms ( neck tightness, head still numb, still have the bump in my head shoulder still sore.
    one thing is getting better is my rang of motion can feel it improving a little

well if anyone who are still reading this forum please let us know about your recovery

I would say lifting a patient is extremely strenuous!! Did your doctor approve this? You need to heal and fuse!!!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.