Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ceolacceola Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Alternative Treatments
I have had so many surgeries fusions and at this point 1 doctor says need it L1 L2L3 is bad L1 being worse is gone,the other doctor says no surgery that a total fusion at lumbar region would make me completely stiff and I would not be happy that I am 49 yr female that os very active and if did fusion it would take down my T section and Cervical section faster if I can tolerate the pain its best to do nothing and let nature do it.It will still take down my other section. So up my meds and physical therapy to strengeth back so we will see. But my question is taking percocet 10's zanaflex 4 mg will make me addictive and what ill I lose in natures way I respect both doctors but whats in store for me any one know? I really want the full story nothing kept back its my life and need all the facts to decide for myself.If anyone can relate or add to please do.

• I understand this is a hard decision to make. I had 2 back surgeries in the hopes of getting the problem fixed so the pain would go away. The medications won't cure what's causing pain, but it will hopefully mask it enough so that you can function. If you take the percocets and zanaflex for chronic pain, the chances of addiction is very slim according to studies.
    What problems are you having in your lumbar spine, and is there nerve compression? You may need more surgery to decompress the nerve to avoid permanent damage. How many surgeries have you had?
    Well, for now I go to pain mgt. since I'm not a surgical candidate at this time, and I take medication to manage chronic back and leg pain.
  • hi!!! :D well, you are looking at some hard facts. :? you will become physically dependent on the percocets. they are a narcotic. you may have to increase your fiber to help with bathroom problems but if you follow your instructions on the bottle you will be able to lead a very normal life if they are helping you with your pain. this is just part of taking pain meds and you have to decide on the trade off. if you needed to go off the meds for some reason, your doctor would assist you and it would not be so difficult to do. it may be that in time, you will need to move on to a time released medication. you would take them less often and get more pain relief if needed. if you can remain active on some level, walking, swimming, biking even Yoga, along with your physical therapy, meds and stretching i think you have a good chance of avoiding surgery for awhile. i use only conservative measures to help with my pain. i have no surgical options. of course this all needs a doctor's approval!! :-C i have been a chronic pain patient for almost 40 years and am still hanging in here!! you can too!! =D> good luck and do some more research on dependency on narcotics vs addiction.. many of us use meds and lead normal lives!! you might be interested in medical marijuana. it is legal in many states and can be a "natural" option for pain and anxiety as well as sleep!! all the best!! Jenny :)
  • Thank yu so much for your help ihave had 4 lumbar surgeries at l4l5 two discectomy and 2 fusionsfused at l4l5s1 nerve damage at l4l5 location and left foot drops now its l1l2l3 that has crumbled and l1 being the worst at this point. And i found that i have endplate arthropathy in cervical c4c5c6c7 pain radiating down left arm left shoulder blade if you can explain your cervical and thoraic areas more i know i have DDD and other problems my dr only says that there is alot wrong with my spine again thank you so much and wish you all the good thoughts :)))
  • You were so helpful in that was the same as dr says to active and young to be tied down in that way so take percocet to help tolerate the pain and another nausea pill cause the percocet was making me so sick :& And now nno sickness and walk better and have been complamented on how well i looked and walking better so its paying off =D> again thank you so much this is best support system >:D<