Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

does this ever happen to anyone else

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
Quick question,just wondering i took last week off of therapy because i had a very bad cold and went about five days just stretching but i didn't do any of my other exercises that i was doing daily because i was so sick.On the sixth day i finally started to exercise again but started slowly did just a few the first day,but the next morning i woke up to a lot of muscle pain and unfortunately three days later its much worse. i feel like i did when i first started doing therapy and i feel like i've been doing it long enough now that i shouldn't be having this happen to me for just missing a week of exercises. I can't understand how my muscle could get so deconditioned in only a week.has this happened to anyone else? i really don't want to let my therapist know about it and i'm not sure if i should be slowing down again on my exercising if i'm having so much pain all over again.this really sucks!! :(

• Hi Tammy,

My case is very different than yours, but I have had 5 rounds of PT for my neck. I just wanted to let you know that I had to stop PT for a while, because I would get bad flare-ups. This may not be the case with you, but I really think you need to be totally honest with your physical therapist. You should tell the therapist everything you have posted. They really rely on your input to guide the progression of your therapy. They might want to take a step back and do more passive therapy. They may send you back to your Dr. to get input. I was put on the steroid pack twice when therapy flared me up badly. You may need stronger pain meds to continue therapy. There are many different directions that you could take. The only way to judge that is to let your therapist and doc know what you are feeling.

I wish you the best of Luck.
    I hope that you can work this out so you can keep moving.

thinking of you,

• All I can go off of, is working out. Basically if the average person takes a break of more than 3 days, they lose ground and start deconditioning. How quickly a person will lose fitness depends on how fit they are, how long they have been exercising, and on how long they stop.

So depending on where you were at prior to taking that week off, how hard the cold hit your body, it's quite possible it's all about conditioning or deconditioning.

Just a guess.

• I can understand what your saying but it doesn't seem like that long a period of time for me to be experiencing the pain and stiffness that i am.My legs are so stiff now that when i got up this morning i could hardly walk,i didn't exercise for that week but i did continue to stretch out.I've been doing therapy now since june and i thought that i was getting much stronger but apparently that isn't true. I've had time off before after my car accident i took a couple of weeks off and never had this kind of reaction when i went back.Just seems odd to me thats all.