Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What vitamens does everyone take? What do you take them for?

• I take a multivitamin forte. I don't think we can use brand names. But mine has been advertised on Tv alot. A Pharmacist can help you to find a multivitamin and mineral.Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I take spectravite performance multivitamin. It is a generic brand.
  • Sorry if this posts as a double, weird things going on with the computer.

All supplements should be cleared by doc. Things like Vitamin E can cause increase in bleeding so shouldn't be taken before and epidural, even.

I like just a generic multivitamin, Vitamin Big C(Colace!) and Vitamin C if someone in the house is sick.

Bruce the mod took some B complex that supposed to help repair nerves.

Healthy diet should give you your best supply of vitamins, but if you cannot, just make sure u clear it first with doc. Let us know if he comes up with something that can help us spineys!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Before you take Any over the counter supplement or vitamin, have it approved by your doctor first.
    While most of the OTC supplements are generally safe, you always have to be aware of any interactions with other medications. Another important fact is that for most of these OTC, the milligrams, dosage vary and are not always FDA approved.

Keeping that in mind, the one I use at least 5 days a week
    is glucosamine and chondroitin All my doctors approve of this for me and I have personally seen good results using it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Vit C everyday 2g. (immunity and skin health upping to 5g has helped the acne I developed after surgery)
    vit B when I need it. (after a long night, busy day, when exercising)
    magnesium every other day (great for muscle and nerve pain, I take a fibromialgia formula that contains other ingredients)
    Calcium every other day. (I should take it every day but forget, I take it when I have vegan days, but not if I have eaten dairy or other fortified milks, I am lactose intollerant so do not drink cow milk. DR wants the calcium due to hormonal issues increasing my risk of osteopirosis but I know the right foods to eat too from my own training)
    Multi every other day or everyday when its in the whey protein formula. (again its a memory thing generally take it as a back up to healthy eating and not so healthy days)

I studied naturopathy to help heal my few health problems after I realised conventional medicine was lacking in some holistic knowledge. Ask your DR questions to challenge their knowledge and be a participant in your health care and not a patient.

Talking to trained professionals is better than self prescribing, usually no damage occurs but you can waste money taking low quallity forms of a vitamin or mineral which will do nothing to help you. How they are chelated is important for absorption and metabolism.
  • Vitamin B is known to help nerves repair and is prescribed by some doctors, when nerves have been damaged, e.g. after spine surgery, from viruses that can damage nerves (e.g. Ramsay Hunt Syndrome). Separate doctors have prescribed me Vit B formulas after both of these conditions. However, as Ron and ernurse pointed out please only take such supplements with the consent of and under the direction of your doctor.

It has been known for some time that increased levels of Thiamine (vitamin B1) in the blood stream are very effective in reducing and reversing neuropathy.
    It is needed by the body to heal the nerve damage.

Unfortunately, the oral intake of vitamin B1 does not greatly increase the levels of B1 in the blood stream. Previously, intravenous feeding or injections directly into blood stream every few weeks were needed to increased levels of B1.

The reason methods like this had to be used is that Thiamine (sometimes spelled Tiamine), like all of the B vitamins, is water-soluble. Thiamine cannot be stored in the body and flushes out within 4 to 5 hours. Oral intake of Thiamine over 5 mg results in greatly reduced bioavailability (available for the body to use) and immediate flushing from the body (this is why urine frequently turns yellow when taking larger doses of B vitamins).

Neuropathy has also been found to be caused and made worse by deficiencies of vitamin B12 in the body. Vitamin B12 supports the sheathing that protects nerve cells and has shown in studies that it promotes the regeneration and growth of nerve cells.

In the past it has been difficult to remedy this deficiency. The reason for this is that while vitamin B12 is readily stored by the body, it is not readily absorbed by the body. For this reason much larger amounts have been used in supplementation, but even large oral dosages have not been an adequate solution.

The most common type of vitamin B12 used in supplements is called Cyanocobalamine. Taking Cyanocobalamine can result in absorption of as little as 1/2 of 1% of the amount taken, which makes it almost impossible to get enough of this vitally important vitamin.

In addition to the very low absorption, the body must convert the Cyanocobalamine (which cannot be used by the body) to a form of vitamin B12 the body can use called Methylcobalamine. Unfortunately, as the body gets older it loses this ability to convert Cobalamine to Methylcobalamine.

For the above reasons, as people get older, many physicians recommend regular monthly injections of vitamin B12 to maintain adequate body levels or to replenish greatly depleted stores of this vital nutrient.

Source: http://www.mcvitamins.com/neuropathy.htm

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I've just always taken a multivitamin. Especially since back surgery, I figured it was important since I wasn't eating as well as I should. Since it's just me and my 15 year old daughter here, I wasn't cooking because it hurt to stand up that long. I was mainly snacking on things throughout the day. I did try to snack on healthy things though like fruits and yogurt.
  • I've taken a multivitamin daily since I was a teenager...I'm 51 now so I take Centrum Silver...also a chewable Vitamin C tablet (I love that orange baby aspirin flavor!)...and a 81mg low dose aspirin (currently on hold due to fusion)as a preventative...those are my daily...also am currently taking one of my wife's Caltrate+D (calcium supplement) since I just had a fusion
  • Do you buy the well known brand with both included in the same capsule or the generic brand, either separate or togeather caplet form?
  • Had to bump this to the top, excellent info Bruce.