Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolisthesis & Pars Defect - Plan on getting pregnant this year!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Matters of the Heart
I am looking to chat with anyone that has Spondylolisthesis and/or Pars Defect and has had a child (without having back surgery to correct the problem).

I have decided to not have back surgery at this time - I had a second opinion that was completely opposite of what my original doctor told me. I am going to hold off on back surgery for as long as I can - I'm only 25 and am in good shape physically. My symptoms have been getting better, so that is a plus (and gives me hope).

My husband and I plan to start trying to conceive in June 2009. I will be meeting with my doctor to discuss what my risks are with having a child and how to possibly control the back pain and leg numbness.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Welcome,

My diagnosis didn't come until after my children but my probems were there before. Each time I was begining to have it all checked out when I fell pregnanat.
    I was dreading the preganacy Backache that everyone moans about but for me the 9 nths was heaven. It was the 6 months following the birth that was especially hard on my back, nursing , leaning, bending, carrying....

I think my second one finally ruined me for good....all said in hindsight.

I would say, ask your doc if your spine is "stable" enough for childbearing. If it is go for it. If it isn't then you need to consider waht all your choices are....like delaying children, having surgery, not having surgey, what damage will either give you...etc etc.

Good luck, which ever way it goes.

Finally, your diagnosis may not be symptomatic??
  • If it's okayed with your Surgeon and your PCP then that's great. As long as theres no nerve damage if you wait until later. It's your decision to make. I wish you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The neurosurgeon that I saw from my second opinion said that I would be okay to have kids right now without the surgery (and would be okay to have kids after a back surgery as well). My regular ob-gyn doctor said that I would be okay to have kids right now without the surgery as well. However, I will be seeing a different doctor about getting pregnant - so I will need to verify with her.

My original doctor that suggested surgery is actually on medical leave (for her back...how ironic - she's been off for more than 5 months now...sounds like she had surgery) so I can't really talk to her about having kids right now.

I'm not expecting pregnancy to be "pleasant" - I've accepted that I will probably be in more pain while carrying the extra weight (and with having a different center of gravity). I am working on strengthening my back and ab muscles in preparation to getting pregnant, which has already helped me with the pain!

I do have symptoms such as low back pain, numbness in my right leg that has been becoming more and more dull over the last several months. I have arthritic conditions in my lower back when I wake up in the morning - that is when the back pain is the worse. I have modified my activities to avoid anything that strains my back - I do yoga, walk on a treadmill 4-5 times a week and lift light weights.

I actually look back and am shocked that my original doctor was so quick to jump the gun and recommend a spinal fusion with hardware - I am SO glad I got a second opinion (and joined this website!).
  • Hi Tanya - I currently have a grade 4/5 slip w/no surgeries. I was diagnosed at 21 with a grade 3 slip. I had three full-term pregnancies (my youngest is 6) with no major problems. L/D involved severe back pain all three times. The first time I also dislodged or fractured my tailbone. Severe sciatica appeared for the first time during preg #1. It was all worth it though - would do it again. Good luck with your future pregnancy. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • i have 2 children, i would say i had no major problems with pregnancies, i think all the hormones running wild actually help. just keep up the yoga stretches and u should be fine. go for it, kids are a blessing.
    the hardest part i found was after the birth when bathing the baby and bending to change dirty nappies etc, but well worth it, just wondering if my kids willing to wipe my backside for me now my back getting worse =))
  • I have Spondylolisthesis L5/S1 Grade 1 and have had 3 kids (#2 and #3 are twins). No surgery, yet....although I'm considering it.

My advice is to just rest as much as you can during pregancy...and take of yourself afterwards as well. I tried a chiropractor during pregnancy, but that was a joke. Using ice packs or taking hot showers worked some for me during pregancy.

Best of luck to you!