Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

end of my nerves with my nerve pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All,

Restful nights and pain free days to everyone. I swear I feel like my life is just passing me by. My NS swore that I would wonder why I didn't do this surgery before once it was over with. Really? At least before I had half a life, now I have a life that is watched from my bed. I tried to walk on the treadmill. I tried to start slow know I am only 1 month post op. I only got up to 12 minutes. I ended up that night in the ER crying in pain. I never cry from pain. I've been through it all. My NS just said on the phone, and he is sweet, I am sorry Lisa. What does that mean? Will this nerve heal? It was a 5.5 hour surgery. He said a lot of scar tissue like noodles out of cement. Am I asking for too much to soon. Sorry I know you are all fighting your own battles. I just feel like this is a roller coaster I am never going to get off. I used to have a life. My family seems to be getting used to this.....if you all know what I mean by that. I don't want to get used to this. God bless you all and here is to a better 2009.

L4-L5 Laminectomy 04, staph infection from surgery turned to oestemyolytis in my spine, 7 months of at home IV vancomyocin to clear up, countless epidural injections, PT 6 times, Tailbone removed 07, broke rt hip and tore labrum,(this was all due to a fall), repaired rt labral tear 07, L4-S1 fusion Dec 08.

• Your are just a few weeks postop sweetie! You are still healing! It sucks, but of course you feel bad. No one feels that great postop and if they do, I'd wager that they may not have need the fusion in the first place.

You have been through the ringer. Personally, I think your time on the treadmill is a bit too much for right now, but if you NS thinks it's OK, well, I guess he's the doc. May I make a couple of suggestions?

First, ask your doc if you can do water PT. I'm telling you, it's awesome especially when they let you "hang" in the deep end for gentle traction. Walking in water is so much easier than that treadmill business and it takes some much stress off your joints to do it in the water. I think many people could attest to the wonders of water PT. I think Angelback is one who likes it, also.

Second, if you're not already on one, you might conisder an anti-depressant. A little chemical help is a good thing. You've been through so much and have more to go, it might help you to take some form of anti-depressant to help you out. You are obviously a very strong person from all of what you've endured so far, but there is a point where we all need help.

Third, remember that we are here and we understand. If you have never checked out chat, check it out some evening, it can be a lot of fun to talk with folks about medical issues or just plain joking around with people who understand.

• I'm so sorry you are hurting. I think we get so eager to "get better" that we push ourselves sometimes. Especially when doctor's get our hopes up so much.

Nerve pain is the worst. For me, I had 3 surgeries and regardless, had permanent nerve damage. I believe my nerve damage was prior to my 1st surgery, truly. I only delayed medical treatment 4 months, but for me, that's all it took. I wouldn't have had 3 surgeries in 12 months if certain things hadn't happened, one being my falling due to numbness in my feet.

Do you have any numbness??

I second the water exercise suggestion. My doctor was against PT in general, but would have allowed water PT. We have a pool and it made such a difference in my strength last summer. I regret not finding a way to continue through the winter months and may yet look into it.

I was specifically told "NO TREADMILL" for 2 reasons. One, if I slipped, I would fall and potentially hurt myself terribly. But the most significant - walking on the treadmill will cause you to lean forward, which you could make sure to not do if you were walking naturally. Any kind of leaning triggered horrid pain for me.

My doctor had me walking - simple walking on flat ground. He told me "NO" inclines, no uneven pavement. Indoor mall type walking. And he had me get to 2 miles a day within 2 months. But not fast walking - just walking. The walking keeps our muscles from spasming, which then doesn't spasm on our tender nerves.

Nerve healing has to be about the slowest thing in the world!! The best thing you can do is to really really take it easy. Make sure not to bend, lift, twist or lean at all (no bending when brushing teeth, nothing). When you walk, hold your stomach in, try to have good posture, but don't push yourself. As you found out, that is no fun and can cause a flare that will last a long time. When I get back pain, I can deal with it so much easier than the nerve pain, so I understand what you are going through.

You know what? Let yourself cry. I bet your will feel so much better, because I am a strong believer that holding in our feelings can cause health issues/increased pain. Have you noticed that if you have something stressful in your day, is your pain worse? I don't always cry around anyone else, and often go in the bathroom, turn on the water, fans, etc. and then cry as hard as I need. Imagine that those tears are carrying nerve pain out and away from your body. I think because I have allowed myself to cry, to grieve my "old" life, this may be why I haven't gotten officially depressed.

Time goes so slowly while we are healing...I know it's hard to imagine life getting better. Don't you wish we could plug ourselves in to a machine and get a readout that tells us everything we need to know?? Instead of all this "unknown", "we don't know why", yada yada?

Many gentle ( ( HUGS ) )

• Angie and Cheri,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. Up days and down days. Unfortunately you all know that. I had just had someone call me and tell me they know someone who had the same surgery as me and they were up and walking around on the second day, no pain and no problems everything was great. So that had added to my mood. I really usually do much better. As we all struggle it is the autonomy of our lives after sugery we want back so much. We have to struggle to get back our independence and while we are in pain.

I cannot see my doctor for 6 more weeks, which I find frustrating. I would like to ask about your suggestions. Maybe the treadmill is causing me more problems. And this is not the first time I have been told about water therapy. I asked NS about regular PT after my first post op visit and he said no, absolutely not right now. I guess I just feel if I lay around I am never going to get stronger.

Sorry about everything you have all had to endure. Back pain is so frustrating and it is not like we all have outward symptoms that scream....hey I'm in pain please give me a break.

Thanks for your support again.

• I had the same as you in Dec only 2 levels. I also read the ones that are up in 2 days feeling great and it tends to get me down. I just saw my Dr and he was telling me that I can finally go on treadmill, VERY Slowly. 12 minutes is alot, but mostly not fast speed. Walking slowly keeps you from moving your pelvis from side to side as much which also makes it more painful for me. He told me I could walk in water, absolutley no hanging or activity. Just slow walks. I have alot of nerve pain, which is very slow to heal. Please dont feel alone. Your pain didnt happen overnight, and wont go away overnight. It is a very huge surgery, I have been told by many health professionals that fusion is the most painful operation. Worse than replacement surgerys. So dont feel bad. Everyone heals at their own pace. There is no two exact recoveries. Hang in there, and yes, anti depression meds have helped me for the last 2 years. Back pain is the number one thing that people suffer depression from. And we all know why. Take the pain and the winter season, and no wonder. I send many hugs casue I know that they help. Keep in touch and we can compare and help each other stay positive. >:D<