Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 1/2 months post op

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am now about 5 1/2 months post op acdf c 5/6. I have complained all along about not getting better but worse. My surgeon transferred my care to another Dr. I thought he was a PM but is not.-( He is the one that originally referred me to the surgeon with concerns of the c 3/4 disc after reading the MRI & doing the nerve tests.)- The surgeon told me that he did not know why I am only feeling worse as he fixed my neck.

I saw my new Dr. He is very concerned as the 3/4 disc is what he believes still causing my problems. He said that he will refer me to 2 surgeons to see what they have to say. In the meantime he will do an epidural injection to my neck. Now when I first saw him in May 2008 he didn't think that an injection would help at all giving the length of time with the symptoms getting worse, about 2 1/2 years before I saught help.

I do not know much at all about these injections. He told me side effects & so on but I really do not remember. The onkly thing that sticks out in my mind is a migrane. I am looking for some insight, please. Does this shot hurt? He told me that I will have to go home & rest. But what about the following day? Will I be able to go to work? I work in a very busy & hectic Optometrist office. I am the only one there except for the Dr. Will I need to have his asst. in his other office work for me the following day? Or days? :?

I am so wanting this to end. I feel so mislead & hurt by my surgeon. Is this shot worth it? Are there any good experiences with it?

Sorry for the long ramble. It seems like I always do.
Thank you all for all of your advice & kind words!

Kim >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,614
    With an orthopedic surgeon? I would press your Dr(s) for a definative diagnosis ... a "problem with your 3/4 disc" doesn't sound all that convincing.

In my experience Epidural Steriod Injections are basically a "shot in the dark" ... you maybe lucky and they may give some temporary relief but are in no way a permenant solution. It is not at all unusual to get herniations at other levels of you C-spine post an ACDF .... Thats what happened to me ...

I had a 3 level anterior plate only that then caused another level to herniate .... I now have a 4 level fusion and I am still better off than before my first .... or my second surgery(s).

Push for a definative diagnosis ... or push your self to another doctor or two or three or ? untill one or two of them agree on what is wrong. Then consider what treatment is best.

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • The problems with the 3/4 disc was that it was compresing on the spine. That was why I was referred to the surgeon.
    The surgeon elected to do the 5/6. Why?

Thank you! Yes, I will push for more answers.

Thank you!
    Kim
  • I'm sorry you're in so much pain...same as me! I have had many ESIs prior to my ACDF on 11/03/08. I have to have a "happy" pill or two just prior to the procedure & I'm fine. It takes about 20 min or so for them to complete, and you may be a little uncomfortable, but they do numb the area beforehand. This injection takes me about 3wks or 1 month to feel the effects, which last about 2 months. (Everyone is different) It is definitely only a temporary fix...no long term solution. You can work the next day, no problem. They usually like a call & the clinic to tell them you are feeling ok. I just had one for my lumbar spine 3 weeks ago-still no pain relief..
    Hope this helps you!